Scrivener ... ?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by cutecat22, Dec 30, 2014.

1. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

It's a little hurtful no one seemed to care about my issue (this includes Scrivener support) but I still feel inclined to say the problem actually wasn't with Scriv....:oops:

2. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Apologies @123456789 I hate to admit it but after I said to myself, "Shit! Could this potentially happen to me?" all thought of your loss went right outta my head, and I immediately starting running the implications in regards to myself :oops:

3. 123456789

OK, in that case, it bears repeating.

Previously, I had attributed a mouse error to Scrivener. I was wrong in my assumption. Scrivener is absolutely fine (although I did lose text files from it months ago). Also, their technical support is bad because they didn't respond to my false alarm.

Apologies to all for the scare.

obsidian_cicatrix likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Sorry, mang. :oops: I've never had that happen and I'm pretty sure you're on a PC, so I didn't feel like the guy to chime in.

One thing I can say is that if you ever had Scrivener suffer a complete and irreversible corruption on your computer, you can unzip the .scrivx file and access its contents directly without Scrivener. All your pages (or scenes or files, depending on the template) are .rtf files stored within the container .scrivx file. .rtf files are quite universal in their ability to be opened by other word processors, to include MS Word.

5. 123456789

Yes, that's the relief about Scriv. There's definitely a way to jump ship and salvage your work. But it's a really nice program and and it would feel weird to work without it.

minstrel likes this.
  6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Sorry 123, I meant to say something but wasn't too sure what to say cause I know how awful it feels. I clicked the wrong button on a cleaner program ( this is when I first started on a computer ) and I lost a whole draft of a novel. On the bright side I managed to rewrite it... perhaps/hopefully better. Were you able to salvage anything or do you think you can rewrite it?

7. 123456789

The error is fixed. Everthing is fine.... for now :0

peachalulu likes this.
  8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What issue was that?

9. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Actually, on windows the .scriv file is a normal folder, so there is no unzipping to be done since you can just access the files anyway. ;)

10. Wreybies

*Intake of air as if to speak, and then*... Oh. I did not know this. See? I wasn't the guy to chime in after all. ;) On a Mac the folder is zipped, but unzipping it is easy enough.

11. Komposten

Just thought that maybe I could share the Scrivener set-up I use for my lecture notes, to show how research material such as pdfs can be displayed within Scrivener. I'm using the split editor to display both the lecture power point (a pdf document) and my own notes simultaneously. Images, websites, etc. can be displayed in a similar fashion. (And, yes, the text is all Swedish. ;))
    Screenshot 2015-01-07 14.41.55.png

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  12. CrowOfCalamity

CrowOfCalamity Member

I can see how this is useful for some but for me it's just not a necessity.

13. kfmiller

kfmiller Active Member

I made the investment in Scrivener after using the trial. The best thing about it, to me, is the Compile button. This allows me to be creative and focus on my work, and when I'm ready it compiles it into a perfect, ready to send out document. It does have a lot of bells and whistles I'm still learning :)

14. Komposten

To be completely honest, I'm actually moving away from Scrivener when it comes to the actual writing. I've found that it's so much more enjoyable to do when I sit with a pen in my hand and a paper on the desk in front of me. :write:
    However, I think I'll stay with Scriv for the editing part. ;)

15. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Pen and paper ftw. Particularly fountain pens.

16. Void

Void Senior Member

Scrivener seems like a pretty useful program. Yet, no offence to anyone here, but whenever anyone on these forums pitches the program they always seem to do so in a strangely enthusiastic way that makes me feel like I'm being invited into a cult.

kfmiller likes this.
  17. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

That's because you are. Oh yes, just try and leave once your in.

Wreybies likes this.
  18. Wreybies

It's just a program. No one is forced to go to the meetings or retreats... or the compound. ;)

Void likes this.
  19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I can't seem to tolerate any remotely feature-rich writing environment. I do most of my writing in BBEdit, a Macintosh text editor that offers no formatting whatsoever. Heck, I'm writing this post in BBEdit--the formatting features in the post editor in WritingForums apparently annoy me. I'll copy/paste it when I'm done and I may italicize something.

I bought Ulysses and didn't use it, except occasionally as a way to move writing in from my phone. Bought Scrivener and didn't use it. When the Mac used to come with some word processor for free (what was it called again?) I didn't use it. Heck, the formatting features in TextEdit annoy me. On my PC at work I used to do all my writing on a nice little text editor I had there, until my employer declined to renew my license and declined to let me install it as personal software. Hmph. Now I have to use (shudder) Word.

While I was looking to see if my Mac had a word processor, I saw something called TextWrangler and opened it and had a nice "ahhh..." feeling about the interface. I checked the About and found that it's the free version of BBEdit. :)

20. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Microsoft Word has tried to recruit Scriver de-programmers, but they all converted over.

21. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Well, it is primarily an Apple product...

22. Void

Void Senior Member

I don't understand, how can the having formatting options annoy you? Couldn't you just not use them and leave the text plain?

23. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I don't understand it either. But there it is. Maybe it's not about the formatting options, but if you consider that I prefer to do all my writing in text-only editors, what else do they all have in common?

24. Void

Void Senior Member

Formatting options are typically displayed on toolbars above the text, without formatting options I would guess the interface would probably be rather minimal. So it could be the lack of distracting buttons and drop downs cluttering the display.

I've only just begun using the full screen view after it was mentioned earlier in this thread, and I've got to say, with nothing but a two page spread of text it does seem easier to focus (it would be even easier if I closed this web browser).

25. Komposten

I'm also a bit like @ChickenFreak, though maybe not that extreme about it. ;) I don't necessarily dislike the formatting options, I just find them distracting and in my way. Generally it doesn't matter what program I use and what task I'm using it for, I always want to maximise my workspace area. For instance, the first thing I always do when I open Word is to make sure to unpin the banner thing at the top (with all the formatting options). Voila! Suddenly I have half a screen of more space for my document! The same goes for Scrivener, except in Scriv I use the fullscreen mode rather than removing/hiding any tool bars. It's good to be able to reach the formatting tools if I need to, but most of the time they are just unnecessary since there are keyboard shortcuts for pretty much everything.