1. Greenbrier

Greenbrier New Member

Seeking suggestions for a format

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Greenbrier, Jun 20, 2019.

I have a story creating an abscess at the base of my brain that I have to attend to. I want to write about the arc of a family's story from the mid sixties to the present. I want to do it in a series of short, stand alone, stories that tie into the overarching narrative as well. So, I'm looking for examples of formats or story structures that may suit my purposes. I plan to look at The Illustrated Man. The problem with The Illustrated Man is that the stories were stand alone without much connection to the main narrative (as best I can remember). So, if you have a suggestion I am most eager to hear it.

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Short story collections, even linked short stories, are a harder sell than novels. It also sounds like you're trying to write somewhat of a memoir. That's a whole different game. I think you need to decide if you're writing fiction or nonfiction, and I would rethink the structure.

3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

During your treatments, propped on a pillow, you might crayon entertaining captions aside your sketchings.

After your death the children bundle this crap into some collection for the charity that cared so tenderly over the duration/misery. The world will sob at the moving 'back-story,' how your tongue gripped the pencil,' watching our daytime TV schedules.

I'll buy a copy for my mother. You shall be world famous as the 'Rainbow Guy.' Thank you and rest in peace.

Cave Troll and Earp like this.
  4. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

My work (novel) is a group of short stories that start with tension, mayhem or murder and end with sex. I call them chapters.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

The one that comes to mind that KIND of works like that (it's an oldie) is Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles. All the stories are stand-alone, but they progress, and they do link up.

6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think the OP is gone after one post. Story collections are a lot harder to finish than a lot of writers think. Heck, I have trouble finishing every short story I write. If I were to think I was trying to write a collection, I probably wouldn't get to far. A collection is a lot more ambitious than a lot of people seem to think.

Thundair likes this.
  7. The Mink

The Mink Member

Even if the novel is actually just a series short stories, are they linked in theme? If they are tightly bound could they be chapters instead?
    Is there a link between the stories? Could you be writing from the prospective of the neighbour who is the same person throughout (young in the 60's through to retirement) ?
    Or possibly the PoV is a god (The last river god of the area) or Vampire or ghost or whatever - anything with a long lived Point of View

Hmmm - Now I'm thinking young children have a dolls tea party and spill some wine for "Myrthin, God of the Brook" - which keeps the god alive. They then whisper hints to the child as they grow up (where is the lost purse, that boyfriend is a bad one etc) - and the "spill drink for the god" becomes a tradition. When she raises her child, teaches them the same. I like it. "The last god of England" - (Like Japanese Kami)

8. John12

John12 New Member

Use a family you can go back as far as you like. The overlap of generations provide a continuing story for all genders.