Self publishing your book just to test the water

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Philliggi, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Ben James

Ben James New Member

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to provide all that information, it’s much appreciated!

Secondly, I do believe I have the time and patience to attempt the traditional route, and dealing with rejection and the work involved etc is no issue for me.

To be honest, my biggest problem is knowing where to start, as this will be my first attempt at such a thing. I’m not sure where to look or who I should contact first, but I would be extremely grateful for some direction if possible.

Thanks again!

2. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

@Ben James, depends on how complete your work is. If you are looking at publishing NOW, then it should have already been read by several beta readers, some of whom know something about writing, and it should have been extensively edited. In other words, it should have been finished about six months ago and under continual revision/review since. Consider getting a profe$$ional editor review, it but get recommendations... wide range in cost and quality.

Use QueryTracker.org (I think that is the domain) to search for agents by genre, what they have successfully gotten published, their website, or their agency's website with VERY specific directions for submissions. Follow them to the letter. Many agents have e-mail that prereads submissions and those that don't meet the criteria (subject line, etc) go write straight to the delete bin, unread by human eyes.

There is a recommended format for manuscript submissions and query letters (did not know this when I was going that route), I will get you title and author tonight if interested. It also has a lot of query do's and don'ts.

And even if you are not finished, it is still a good time to start lining up a batch of agents to whom you plan to submit And each letter to each agent should be highly personalized to that person, based on the research you have done on them. If you don't want a form letter rejection, don't send a form-letter submission. You can build some sort of word table with name, information, and URL, so that when you gin up a query, you have everything in one place , along with common boilerplate, and can crank out a few dozen a night.

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. Ben James

Ben James New Member

That sounds like a great place to start, I’ll definitley check it out.

That would be greatly appreciated if you could get me that information! I would much rather take the time and ensure than this is all done correctly the first around, rather than submit anything half-heartedly or incorrectly.

Thanks again!

4. Lew

The book is Formatting and Submitting your Manuscript," by Chuck Sambuchino and the editors of Writer's Digest Books

5. Ben James

Ben James New Member

Thank you! I really do appreciate the help!

Now to get to work...

6. Lew

Good luck!

Ben James likes this.
  7. Rohan89

Rohan89 Member

I just self published a 20 page short story. Seeing it up on amazon, buying the ebook and reading it definately made me see it in a different context, and I realized I need to get a lot better. May not have realized it if I had just put it on a forum, or given it to a friend to read