1. Earth001

Earth001 New Member

Sentence run ons and fragments

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Earth001, Nov 16, 2011.

So I have been having a hard time witing because every time I turn in a assignment to a teacher for grading one of my problems are run ons. I have a hard time of figuring out where commas go in sentences and placing them. Also with fragment I would also write a sentence I think is complete when really it is not so I get marked down for it. When I answer a question and I just write down the answer I would answer it and get marked down for that. What should I do about sentence run ons and fragments? What could I do to change this?

2. architectus

architectus Banned

Study, study, study. Go back to the very basics: what is a sentence? At least a noun and verb. "Jesus wept." She cried. He fell.

Grab a text book on grammar, read each chapter and do the exercises.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/6

Go through each section in punctuation.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/5

Also, go through this section.

If you want help, just send me a private message. I could tutor you a bit, but first go through all those lessons on those two links.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Read, read, read, read! Read professional novels and everything else you can get your hands on!

The right way of constructing sentences isn't a matter of following rules; it should emerge from your bones. The knowledge sinks into your bones by READING. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can be a credible writer without reading. When you spend a lot of time reading good sentences, you stop having to ask how to write them.

Sorry if this is harsh, but, like everybody on this forum says, READ!

1 person likes this.
  4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ask your teacher, not us...

5. Enerzeal

Enerzeal New Member

A great way of handling your punctuation, is to sound out the sentences you write. The greatest form of communication is through speech. When we talk to someone our voice dips down low or rises, we take pauses to let a statement sink in. Writing emulates this. So sound out what you have written, ask yourself if it sounds natural.

I'm sure you have read a forum post on another website from someone who has no grasp of the comma, or even worse - the full stop. It's just a wash of words that become difficult to follow. Now try saying it out loud. You will know when a comma or a full stop needs to be used naturally.

6. Raki

Raki New Member

Fix them, and learn to do better. :)

On a more serious note, and as others have suggested, task yourself with learning what a sentence is and how it works. If you don't like the traditional routes of learning (textbook and teachers), try to find ways you do like. Wikipedia and google can help you in these areas. There are a lot of "grammar" stuffs out there on the internet that are inconsistent, but in most cases, the basics are the same across the board. Look them up. :)

7. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    You do have some issues with punctuation, and some with number agreement too ("one of my problems are", "Also with fragment"). I'm never going to argue with a suggestion to read lots of good stuff, but I'm not sure it much is going to sink in unless you support it with some teaching material, so I thing you should get a decent book on punctuation and grammar. And although automated grammar checkers are (rightly) viewed with suspicion here, as long as you remember it's not always right then the grammar checker in your word processor (and the explanations it gives) might help too.

8. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I agree with all of this.