Seriously considering self-publishing

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Thomas Kitchen, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Lew

Lew Contributor Contributor

A lot of good advice here for both of us, @Thomas Kitchen. I am marketing my WIP via the traditional route, and it takes time, patience, and the ability to understand that a "no" may not mean anything about the quality of your book, but that their agents are handling other submissions. (It may also mean you query and first few chapters need work). I am continuing along that route, though I am beginning to look into the Amazon route as well. After all, I am 68 and 2 years to first royalty is a bit longer than 2 years at age 20! On the Amazon side, I can fire and forget, and begin (resume) work on the other three or four works, that are suspended now by the time taken to research and query several agents nightly.

I recommend go forward with the traditional route, and try to get about a hundred queries off. And take a "no" response, as opposed to silence, as a positive thing.. they at least read your query and sample

And above all, do your homework! Research, research, research, edit, edit, edit.