1. Kevin Teichman

Kevin Teichman Active Member

Setting realistic goals

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kevin Teichman, Aug 13, 2018.

Is the following a realistic goal?

I have an accounting background and finish my accounting degree program in December. I plan on getting my masters soon.

Given my field of study background, would it be realistic to attempt learn python on my own time to strive to become an Artificial intelligence programmer?

The reason for this- I want to own two companies, one being a tech company. Elon Musk is one of my business role models, I would love to be on the same playing field.

On top of that, I want to obtain the CFA certification in case entrepreneurship fails. I could also start my own investment firm with enough knowledge and experience here.

Lastly, I want to be fluent in at least 5 languages, and break the world record raw bench press (physical goal).

Overall, can all of the above be reached or is it best I focus on one thing?

2. Jenissej

Jenissej Professional Lurker Supporter Contributor

Let's put it like this, if you were asking this about a fictional character, I'd advise you to tone it down a notch or two.

Surely all of this can be achieved, by someone, given enough time. There's nothing impossible about it in theory. But can you achieve it? I don't know.

Would it be realistic to attempt to learn the Python language for artificial AI? Sure you can attempt. But would it be a realistic goal to start an AI development company on your own, knowing only a single high-level programming language (and Python at that), and with no other background in information technology, mathematics or management? I'll go out on a limb here and say, no. You're not likely to succeed there.

Speak five languages? Sure, many people do. It'll cost you a lot of time though, depending on how well you learn languages.
    Break a world record in a physical activity? Sure, why not, but you can expect preparations for that to eat up all the time you don't have because you're already learning Python, four natural languages and running two companies. And vice versa.

You want an honest opinion? Do some earnest research on these things, what they'll require of you and what your chances are to make it before you start on any of it. Then pick a goal or two at best and focus on it. Reach it, then take on the next. It's better to succeed in one thing out of a hundred than fail in all of it.

3. Kevin Teichman

Kevin Teichman Active Member

I wish I would have done more in IT and mathematics, but it is what it is.

I’ll break it down on what research I’ve done on each of the topics

CFA charter- I already have a strong background in financial reporting and analysis, so I have a little bit of a head start. This would take about two years to earn, if I did the required studying and passed on my first attempts of all three levels.

Learning 5+ languages- I’ve been studying German off and on for years, and have started learning some of the Bavarian dialect. I’ve also studied Russian, Icelandic, Welsh, and briefly touched up on Mandarin.

Python+AI- not much research done here, but I made a list of the areas of mathematics I would need to learn to get going. Coursera is a great resource for a lot of needed material in this area.

Breaking bench press raw record- I’ve been lifting for almost 10 years. I am a strongman and powerlifting enthusiast, and I’m always following the sports. With a couple of more years of training I will have world class grip strength and I plan to hit 405 raw by the end of December, at a bodyweight of less than 190. I feel with continued dedication here, I could be great.

Running companies- this is where time really comes into play. I would start with one, and see where that takes me. IF it’s successful, then maybe I could look to expand. I am always reading and watching videos of Kevin O’Leary, Dave Ramsey, and Grant Cardone, so i enjoy learning about business and all that. Richard Branson’s books are next on my list here.