1. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by ANT (Bar YOSEF), Dec 18, 2007.

When creating a fictional setting, I tend to base it on a real setting, but apply a different name to it. Is that the best technique??

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it all depends on what you're writing... that said, it's should be obvious that if you base a setting on a place you know well, you'll be able to describe it more realistically than if you choose one you've never been to, but it's not a 'must' if you have the imagination and good research skills to use either a place you've only heard about or one you create...

bottom line is there's no 'best' technique other than the 'best' being what works best...

3. Axis

Axis New Member

I often do that as well, because I tend to feel I can describe the action better if I've got a real location in mind.

I once based the setout of a village on my university. Just made all the building's smaller.

There's no best way, but this is a pretty effective one.

4. DarenCogdon

DarenCogdon New Member

D'you know, I tried to explain that to someone a while ago, and they just said "Eh?!" :rolleyes:

In the end, I decided the setting for my story would be my home town, with only one location name changed to suit the purposes of the story, but still based on the real thing.

I think, if you're just starting to write a novel/story, basing it on a real place is a good starting point, but if you want to create something fictional, then base your locations on something you know so you can describe them accurately. It's a pain in the neck trying to describe, say, a wartime aerodrome or a stable yard if you've never seen one! :rolleyes:

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

I like to find pictures, and visual inspiration from sources such as deviantART submissions when I'm in such a predicament.

6. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I actually often get ideas from movies or books or sometimes places that I would like to visit when I'm writing. For instance, the setting in the short story I'm currently writing was inspired by various novels, while the setting of the novel I'm writing was sort of inspired by LOTR/Starship Stroopers/Serenity.

However, often I'll try to create my own setting, picturing how I want everything to look and trying to make it 'feel right'. If I picture it in my head and it doesn't look right, it needs changing.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Like I keep saying to people, it is all about what sounds best in the peice. There is no good way and bad way to do something as different ways work best for different people. Sometimes you will find that the description of a place with a different name works best, other times you will have an image in your mind of a compltly new place that you would like to set it in, and so you do that. Like I said, whatever works best in the peice.

Hope this helps
    Heather

8. Kid At <3

Kid At <3 New Member

I don't think it's nessesarily the best, but it would be easier for the reader to visualize.