Sex robots, a whole new can of worms.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Felipe, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

From the OP...Although Levy believes that the "availability of regular sex with a robot will dramatically reduce the incidence of infidelity as we know it today," he also acknowledges there may be some potential sticky points. "(S)ome human spouses and lovers might consider robot sex to be just as unfaithful as sex with another person."

I really don't see this "reducing the incidence of infidelity" but the original post raises a legitimate question. I have no problem with my partner using a vibrator but this is an anatomically correct life, sized robot/doll or whatever you want to call it. As they advance, and they will, I would not want to come home to find my woman banging a robot, a vibrator is just a toy as is the robot, but this could get annoying.

2. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

Condoms don't entirely prevent the spread of your bodily fluids, they only make them slightly more controlled, and I'm going to repeat my earlier post: it's highly unlikely that a sex robot would be made of metal. That would be stupid. That's not to mention that the majority of people in the western world have physical contact with metal several times a day. In fact, I turned on the faucet in my bathroom several times today to wash my hands, as well as re-angling the shower head, and also using my laptop, which is several pieces of metal.
    I'm sorry that I'm such a sick person and can't use a computer that isn't made of metal, like you must be.

Is there any point to your posts, or do you do this everywhere?

I have a feeling that this would come up as a point of contention in most marriages if one partner wanted to buy one. They'd very likely cost at least as much as a motorcycle, weigh a fair bit, and be costly to maintain. That's not to mention that you need to store it, keep it clean, and figure out how to ask your wife for a threesome with the robot. :p

3. Prolixitasty

Prolixitasty New Member

Welcome to the future. Our generation is addicted to instant gratification, can you blame us, parents? What's the point in driving to see your friends when you can face time them? What's the point in calling them when you can text them? What's the point in maintaining appearances when you don't have to leave your house? What's the point in making a relationship with another human being when you have virtual friends? What's the point in developing your personality when you can fabricate one? What's the point in having sex with another human being when you can have sex with a box or bar?

Technology is advancing much faster than we are, and we fear we'll lose ourselves if we don't keep up, and yet, how much of ourselves will we lose if we do?

Unfortunately, many of us are too lazy to consider the ramifications of technology and instead think only of the instant gratification.

So, I suppose, if I am to answer the OP directly, I would say, we are decaying with massive rapidity. That is to say, I don't think sex robots are any sort of solution to anything, and that they will only serve to widen the already yawning gap between any two intimate human beings.

4. Prolixitasty

Prolixitasty New Member

We're not making a new species or even gender. These are machines.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Robots can't fertilize or be fertilized. To think otherwise is preposterous.

6. Prolixitasty

Prolixitasty New Member

Oh, in that case... there is also the sex of a gumball. The sex of plastic, and of paper air planes. I think your definition of what a 'sex' is is slightly misconstrued. What is not male or female does not constitute an entirely new gender.

7. Lemex

Are you aware that robots can't be fertilized, or fertilize?

Having a child with a robot is impossible.

8. Lemex

The things you wrote made me scared that that was what you were saying. That's all.

9. Prolixitasty

Prolixitasty New Member

Coly hrap. Lol.

10. Lemex

No. I couldn't work out what you were trying to say, so I thought the worst. I take it you are French?

11. cruciFICTION

Everyone please take note: French username- Cacian speaks French. Bad grammar? Similar to Cacian's. Cacian and this user both live in London. Quite a few of Tortue's posts were in Cacian's threads or threads Cacian had posted in. They haven't been online at the same time.
    Tortue: I'm sorry if I'm wrong. I'm just pretty sure that you and Cacian are the same person. Neither of you have very sound logic. I'm pretty sure this is a case of inexpert trolling.

12. Cacian

Cacian Banned

What are you suggesting here?
    Don't be silly OK.

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what are you on about?
    Are you silly or just plain stupid?

14. cruciFICTION

I'm not suggesting anything. I don't need to suggest anything. I'm saying it straight out.

Don't be rude. We've got a community here that's built on mutual civility, if not mutual respect.

15. Lemex

I honestly don't consider Cacian a troll. And the more time goes on, and the more Cacian posts, the stronger my conviction seems to get. Sure, she's not the best new member we've ever had, but at least she's taking an interest. And at worst annoying threads and comments are, in any universe, better than outright offensive posts.

16. RusticOnion

RusticOnion New Member

My bad man, we can't all argue with people who have English as a secondary language about what sex robots will be made out of, the effectiveness of internet dating and discuss your theory that two french speakers whom disagree with you and have minor similarities are the same person.

Sorry.

1 person likes this.
  17. Cacian

Cacian Banned

You are now derailing the thread.
    If you have a problem with me please discuss it with the mod.

18. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

They have already given birth to animals (deers and other) in labs in some form of custom-made amniotic fluid. I don't see why AI's in the future won't be able to. They are already trying to restore the mammoths in labs, in the same sort of way or something with ancient DNA. I feel like the end is near.

19. cruciFICTION

We're actually getting to the point where, literally, neither men nor women are actually necessary in order to create new humans. However, you bring up AIs instead of just robots. There's a clear-cut difference there and you have to ask: why would an AI want to bring a human into the world?

20. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

I maybe shouldn't have written AI. However, they will be in the future. We can just speculate lets not start getting into world end theories.
    Heheh, lets stick to robots meanwhile.

21. Bob Stuart

Bob Stuart New Member

I maybe shouldn't have written AI. However, they will be in the future. We can just speculate lets not start getting into world end theories.
    Heheh, lets stick to robots meanwhile.

22. cruciFICTION

It's not a world-end theory, hehe. I personally doubt that robots/AIs will ever try and destroy humanity just because they're sentient.
    I doubt you'd have a humanoid robot rocking around growing human babies, anyway. We'd more likely use an artificial ovary kind of like the thing Neo wakes up out of in The Matrix.

23. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

As advanced as robots ever may get, they will never be able to replicate an actual sperm or egg. Even the simplest organisms cannot be formed by man. The logistics of even raising a child outside of an actual womb is staggering considering the blood flow to the infant. The umbilical cord must attach to something.

They are better off vacuuming floors and assembling cars for now. Actual sex may come later.

24. Cacian

Cacian Banned

why can't humans do all this instead.
    This is making humans redundant as if they were incapable of doing themselves, plus it put people out of work.
    It is not a bright idea.
    As to the sex thing well I would not wish on anyone.

25. Felipe

Felipe Active Member

If you two want to trade insults, please start a new thread. We are discussing sex with robots and the ramifications of that act. I can think of much worse things than mechanical self gratification.