Share a Random/Interesting Fact about your Story/Stories

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Link the Writer, Nov 1, 2016.

1. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Dragomir's father, Zelimir, has a rather notorious habit that came about after the death of his wife Crina. If someone threatens his descendants (that is to say, Dragomir, his sister Katarina, and her twin children Nadica and Teodor) and he believes it to be more than an idle threat, he will hunt them down, kill them, have them stuffed and on display in a trophy room of sorts. He uses this room as a warning to potential enemies.

2. Alistair Black

Alistair Black Member

Sci-Fi -

Despite the advanced technology of the setting (the planet Terra), cassettes are still the most popular music format.

Because of vaccinations, a lot of diseases had been all but wiped out; but after they're back now, nearly a century later.

Air travel is not popular due to security and terrorism risks around the world.

Fantasy -

The setting is basically a fantasy Roman Empire in fantasy Australia, with all the deadly beasts that entails.

The first fifteen-twenty pages take place on a ship, but I've never been on a water-faring vessel of any kind,

Magic exists, but is virtually useless due to the fact it slowly kills magic users.

3. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

1) The woman in my second book who falls in love with her foster son and ends up having his baby before he turns 17 is named after my mother.

2) The short arsed olive skinned goth from my third book is based on a real person I went to school with who really did have a cape made from a Cradle of Filth fabric poster.

3) All of the Romani language in my last book is genuine Romani which took an incredible amount of time and effort to translate and was worth every second to make my cute little teenagers talk dirty to each other in a language only they can understand. This is actually plot important because Natalie has pretty extreme self confidence problems, particularly in talking about sex and being seen naked, on account of being covered in scars and bruises. Lu helps her get over this and get out of the victim mind set in part by talking dirty to her in public and making sex into something fun and playful instead of something she's ashamed to think about.

Some Guy likes this.
  4. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

On a change from my last post, I have a decently developed world I plan for all my books to be set in. This should be fun! :D

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Sar Argarva has a lazy eye, deformed wing, scarred chest, weak vocal chords, a crooked tail, and needs a stick to stand up.

6. Not Ready to Say

Not Ready to Say Active Member

Arin Hellant is portrayed, currently, as a very powerful, but lazy and not very serious person, capable of destroying worlds at a whim. But he never started that way, he has a very dark past which led him up to this point. Did I mention the fact that he keeps trying to order Shkak at the Academy's restaurants? His backstory includes a grizzled man who is now dead, an old lady who is younger than you think, a dragon whose fire destroys all that it touches, and two twin spheres, one dark and black, the other shining and clear.

7. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

You just won't let shkak the shkak alone, will you?

Some Guy likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Centurians are a species that does not like the suffering of others.
    Yet in a twist Corlixia has joined their ranks, and will and does
    not quibble over torturing someone on the enemy side for information.
    The Centurians have a standard about them that they exercise in
    all aspects of their life to a high degree on such things. They also have
    a religion, in which they worship Ma'aShat (Goddess Mother of Life).
    and they have a god of death too.

For extra fun. Some Greys will wear wigs to appeal more to Humans,
    either in consort or in likeness. Since they are silicon based and do not
    have hair naturally, they compensate by the head accessory. Though some
    despite gender forego this formality. While they range from 4-5 ft+ in
    height, they are quite diverse in their way of thinking. And can vary widely
    in personality form sincerity to down right manipulative. While they can
    have sexual relation with humans, their has only been one hybrid due
    to such an occurrence (as realistically two different species cannot mate
    and procreate under any circumstance). So the fact there is a Hybrid, is
    rare, and almost defies science in terms of possibility.

9. Thunder Angel

Thunder Angel New Member

Lupine Shifters are packs of inverse werewolves.

A historic storm decimates the land.

The youngest child in the family is one of the oldest living members in the community.

Two different realities occupy the same space.

It's difficult to learn that you're a monster.

Some Guy and Cave Troll like this.
  10. Not Ready to Say

Not Ready to Say Active Member

NEVER!

11. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

So I've been thinking for the longest time that nobody knows whether most non-human species in my Urban Fantasy world used to be fictional or not :)

Sometimes in history, a shapeshifting mage would create a new form that would catch on among shapeshifters, then storytellers would create myths and folktales about creatures like these, but other times a storyteller would come up with a new creature, would capture the public's imagination with stories about these creatures, then shapeshifting mages would be inspired to recreate their favorite species in real life.

Well-established species like psoglavs, dragons, minotaurs, or harpies, have been around for so long that there's nobody left alive who remembers whether it was the storytellers who inspired the shapeshifters or if it was the other way around. Orcs, on the other hand, are such a recent species – the first shapeshifting experiments started around 1960, the first successful rituals were discovered around 1965, and the first natural-born orc children were born around 1970 – that everybody still remembers that it was the storyteller who inspired the shapeshifters.

... Now I'm realizing that this wouldn't work. I recently decided that The Masquerade in my world is sustained by magical wards that prevent magic from being used in a way that would expose its existence to the mortal world, but I realized that this means there's no way that a species of non-humans could've been sighted often enough for consistent stories to be told about them.

I'd originally wanted the orcs to stand out as the only common species that everybody still remembered the origins of (in their case: fictional first, real second), but this would have to mean that every non-human species in my world is known to have originally been fictional before being recreated in the real world :D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    I.A. By the Barn and Cave Troll like this.
  12. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

Three interesting facts about Nerium.

1. Nerium is a homage to The Lord of The Rings, and Clive Barker's A Hellbound Heart.
    2. Nerium is Written in Strict Iambic Pentameter.
    3. The Story is an Allegory about how Death is God's greatest gift to mankind.
    -

-OJB

13. Simpson17866

Minotaurs have a harder time cooling off in the heat than humans do (Square/Cube law plus thick fur all over), so they're more likely to either live in the colder regions and/or to spend a lot more time in the water than most humans do.

Most minotaurs also tend to be far more ethical and compassionate than most humans are, yet are also far more blunt and introverted.

14. MusingWordsmith

I see a lot of toxic lines of thinking I used to have and my dad still does in my bad guy race's culture. Didnt mean to but I think it works.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  15. Simpson17866

I used to believe a lot of garbage as a teenager that I have since felt the need to write express rebuttals to :(

Cave Troll and Iain Aschendale like this.
  16. MusingWordsmith

Teenagerdom wasn't too long ago for me, so a lot of stuff is still fresh. I don't feel the need to expressly go out against what I used to think, rather just show how it hurts through my characters. I hate stuff that gets too 'preachy' so nope, none of that for me.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  17. Jdragon

Jdragon New Member

Some facts about my elves.

Tullundir hates being read to outloud.

Faunor secretly eats meat even though he's an elf .

Satiík has nine older brothers so she's very competitive with men.

zoupskim and Cave Troll like this.
  18. Simpson17866

I think we're saying the same thing :) I meant "expressly" as "deliberately, consciously" more than "obviously, explicitly."

MusingWordsmith likes this.
  19. Simpson17866

I just had a crazy thought while kayaking tonight:

Minotaurs are built for upper-body strength and not distance running, minotaurs prefer to be alone, and minotaurs try to stay close to the water unless it's extremely cold out.

Minotaurs would love kayaking and row boating.

MusingWordsmith and rktho like this.
  20. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Alexei's defection from the U.S.S.R. is loosely based on a combination of how famous ballet dancers Natalia Makarova and Mikhail Baryshnikov each left Russia. Then, to make it more fun for Alexei, I had him meet a stripper at the police station (where he'd gone to ask for political asylum) so he'd have a place to stay.

ETA: As an inside joke, I've also sprinkled dance metaphors throughout. Also edited to get rid of my love of parentheses.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  21. Simpson17866

Let's see if we can get this thread started back up :)

The villain protagonists of my WIP form a Freudian Trio of Id, Ego, and Superego...

... in 3 completely different ways, with each character having their own unique way of being the moderate Ego sandwiched between the extreme Id of the one friend versus the extreme Superego of the other:
    • Alec is extremely sensitive with others and spontaneous (Id) and Charlie is extremely insensitive and meticulous (Superego), whereas Amy is both sensitive and meticulous (Ego)
    • Amy is extremely anti-authoritarian (Id) and Alec is extremely authoritarian (Superego), whereas Charlie is more pragmatically ambivalent about authority (Ego)
    • Amy is extremely hot-blooded (Id) and Charlie is extremely cold-blooded (Superego), whereas Alec is more level-headed (Ego)
    Meaning that
    • Amy is The Id because she has 2 points of Id, 1 point of Ego, and 0 points of Superego
    • Alec is The Ego because he has 1 point of Id, 1 point of Ego, and 1 point of Superego
    • Charlie is The Superego because she has 0 points of Id, 1 point of Ego, and 2 points of Superego

Some Guy, S A Lee and Cave Troll like this.
  22. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Funny, a recurring gag in my work is that a minotaur is a gauge of an object's strength. "A minotaur couldn't break this door," for example.

Some Guy likes this.
  23. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Seeker, the only randomly manifested AI entity, believes in God (The Creator), after logically proving God's existence.

Seeker's highest priorities are human existence, prevent human suffering, maintain human independence from Seeker, keep Mankind unaware of its existence.

Humans, in a single oblivious act, unleash an abomination of technology that will render them extinct, unless Seeker keeps it in check, by interfering directly with our brains.

In order to prevent human suffering, after global disaster, Seeker kills 5.7 billion people, by doing nothing.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  24. Radrook

Radrook Banned Contributor

Features travel to other worlds.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  25. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

It features a lost play by Will Shakespeare.

Some Guy likes this.