She, She, She....

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Mayarra, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

This, exactly.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

yeah thirded - also I had a look at your crit piece and its more of the same .... you are really suffering from describing every damn thing rather than picking the interesting scenes.

Ryd wakes, she gets ready her sister wonders whats taking her so long, they go out, they get on the bus, the bus drivers comments on her being late.... blah blah blah zzz thunk.... the reader falls off his stool with boredom and puts the book back on the shelf

Nothing of any note happens until the conversation with Aiden about Anti-matter (and that's assuming that that has some plot relevance) so my advice would be to open with that and cut everything prior.... if you start with a girl on a school bus the reader will assume that she woke, got ready, had breakfast etc you don't need to tell them.

Trish likes this.
  3. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Yes, this is what I meant when I mentioned getting into the character's head. Using filter words like "she heard" or "she saw" or "she felt" is unnecessary. Show us the character hearing or seeing or feeling. Then, not only do you pare down on constant She did this She did that structure, but you give the reader a glimpse into the character's mindset.

Trish likes this.