1. geeksheikhomie

geeksheikhomie New Member

Short Story Short Story Series Concept

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by geeksheikhomie, Apr 2, 2011.

I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow, and planning on getting a little bit of writing done while I'm away. Tell me what you think of this new idea for a series of short stories:

I'm playing around with the idea of creating plots based on certain songs. For instance, "The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire. It is a very vague yet direct song, that would be fun to expand on in the form of a short story. Other ones I'm thinking of using:

Though the Glass - Stone Sour
    Men of Snow - Ingrid Michaelson
    You Found Me - The Fray

I like the idea of trying to use the tone of music to transcend into the tone of a written story.

Tell me whether you would be interested in reading this kind of story, or if you see any potential hang ups. Thanks!

p.s: I'm not sure if this is completely unoriginal or not.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

3. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

I can see a copyright issue if you are using lyrics of the songs. If you stay away from copyright problems you should be okay. I have been kicking around a PI series wherein the MC is a bit of a hippy and the titles of the books would be Grateful Dead song titles. As titles aren't subject to copyright I think this would be acceptable as long as I'm not using their words or blatantly copying the song as the inspiration for the story.

4. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

How can something be vague and direct at the same time? It's either one or the other.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no, it's not original... mary higgins clark has made a fortune with her mystery novels named with song titles...

but that doesn't mean you can't name your short stories the same way... just don't use any of the lyrics without permission, unless they're so old they're in the public domain...