Should Crime Not Pay?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by EBohio, Mar 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I'm surprised "Body Heat" didn't make the list. Now that chick got away with it.

ETA: Of course the MC, William Hurt, didn't. He was a crooked lawyer that paid.

2. Fallow

Fallow Banned

It is a controversial ending. But it is supposed to be as much symbolic as much as anything else. They literally fly away at the end instead of it showing them crashing into the ground.

3. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Just a preemptive warning. Let's keep this thread on topic and free of asshattery. Thank you.

Homer Potvin and Fallow like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The Oceans films 11, 12, 13 and 8 are classic examples of the criminals as heroes... I don't think there's anything much wrong with it (My MC in 5 of my books is a hitman, although by and large his victims couldn't be mistaken for assets to society)

5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

So is "Kelly's Heroes".

6. Fallow

Fallow Banned

It is somewhat common for such films to be comedic, like Ocean's and Kelly's. Films like Widows are more rare.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

true although that's more spoils or war - the Nazi's would have taken it if they hadn't etc

I think this is the key in 'justifying' criminals as heroes - making the people who get robbed unsympathetic - as in the Italian job where they are stealing from the mafia... it wouldn't have got the same level of success if they were stealing from a nice old lady and her small golden haired grand children.

John Calligan likes this.
  8. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I feel like most people just want the motivation to be inescapable, or the antagonists
    Sopranos is kinda the same isn’t it? I haven’t watched it, but didn’t they build sympathy for Tony through the first season by showing how awful his mother was?

9. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Sorta. The show keeps grounding you by showing how awful Tony can be, and that he likes it. Like Breaking Bad, a lot of the entertainment is that you realize the character isn't truly sympathetic despite being highly watchable.

John Calligan likes this.
  10. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Kind of like Michael in "The Godfather". I like the movie but I hated him.

11. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I think movies are a little different - we will tolerate 2 hours of pain to see a depiction the holocaust or other uncomfortable subjects in a film, but to bring people back to a serial TV show you need to give the audience more pleasant stuff or they'll praise the first two shows, then stop watching. Even the "horror" shows like Walking Dead or American Horror story aren't as unrelenting as a horror movie.

12. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

The bible also says you're not allowed to shave your beard, have tattoos, cut the hair on the sides of my head, eat bacon, catfish, or anything that mixes meat and dairy, wear blended materials, or plant more than one type of plant to a field, leave the end of my wiener where god (in his infinite wisdom) placed it, touch a menstruating woman, leave the house if you are a menstruating woman, poop within city limits, or even live in a city that hasn't surrendered to the Israelites. Also, if a slave girl is raped, she's supposed to marry the rapist.

13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Where does one poop then?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    The Dapper Hooligan likes this.
  14. Fallow

Fallow Banned

One guess.

15. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou shalt go forth abroad: And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee: For the Lord thy God walketh in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give up thine enemies before thee; therefore shall thy camp be holy: that he see no unclean thing in thee, and turn away from thee.

Deuteronomy 23:12-14​

16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, like Ned Flanders said: "I've done everything the Bible said! Even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"

The Dapper Hooligan likes this.