Tags:
  1. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Should I Change One of These Names?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by LastMindToSanity, May 16, 2018.

Okay, so, in my story, I have this sword that's supposed to be really special. There's a bit of a story behind it, but, in the service of being concise, I'll just say why it's special. The sword has the ability to basically OHKO whoever it's used against. This, of course, depends on the skill of whoever is using it. The sword is much less of a threat in the hands of a novice; but, in the hands of a master, it is completely overpowered. This sword is named Caliburn, and the original wielder of this sword is named Arthur. For those who don't know, Caliburn is one of the names that refer to Excalibur. All of this is intentional because "the Original Hero" is meant to be like King Arthur (Besides, Caliburn is an awesome name). I don't plan on changing the name of the sword, but I'm a bit iffy as to if I should change Arthur's name to something else.

My question is, would this be a bit too much? Does it just sound bad? Should I change the name of Arthur to something else?

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

You're intentionally trying to reference Arthur Pendragon, right? Then I don't see a problem with using his name. If you want to come at it kinda slantwise, though, you could use a different version of the name, kind of like you've done with Excalibur -- something like Artur, or Arcturus, or Arturios.

LastMindToSanity and Spencer1990 like this.
  3. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Yeah, might try that. It actually kinda makes the character sound more like a fairy tale hero with the longer name. Thanks.