1. Fantasyphanatic

Fantasyphanatic New Member

Should Indy Cars continue racing on ovels?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fantasyphanatic, Oct 22, 2011.

Sadly, this past weekend Indy Car driver Dan Wheldon died in a 15 car wreck at the Las Vegas Speedway. Drivers estimated they were going 225 MPH during qualifying. Should Indy car be limited to Road Courses only? What safety features should Indy Car implement?

2. JGHunter

JGHunter New Member

When you're firing a ton of metal at over 200mph in a loop, I don't think there's much more they can do that they haven't already. Was this human error or a faulty vehicle, or a faulty safety procedure, do you know? Otherwise, I think Indy Car racers know the danger of the game before they get involved. Or at least they should. I know the danger and I've never driven that fast on a road where there is a five foot concrete wall always on one side.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

They're going to put more cover around the wheels (already planned prior to accident). If they want to race on ovals, then they should be able to do so.

4. Fantasyphanatic

Fantasyphanatic New Member

In the video speed showed, it appeared to be driver error, with one of the drivers going three or four wide.

5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yeah. And they had them packed on that track like sardines. With the open wheels that can be dangerous (even without them it is dangerous but apparently that makes it even worse).

6. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

Never quite grasped the idea of competitive driving in circles, but anything to make it safer should be implemented.