Tags:
  1. PaleoJohnathan

PaleoJohnathan New Member

Shower Concept

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by PaleoJohnathan, Apr 16, 2020.

I was thinking of a story about how a world of logical people react illogically to a disaster. (Inspired by current events.)

It’s about the protagonist creating a time loop to try and stop the world from destroying itself because of what he believes was an accidental announcement of the world ending, but in reality his time loop is the disaster. He parallels the people, acting illogically to prevent a disaster that wouldn’t happen if they acted logically.

The plot would be about his attempts to change the course of the disaster so that the people don’t destroy themselves, and he sees the best and worst sides of humans, ultimately deciding that the best thing to do is to let the disaster play out, and then nothing happens.

If I was more confident as a writer maybe I would convey that the timeloop being the disaster through the story but being one of my first times pursuing writing for real I’m not sure if I should go for that. I don’t trust that I would be able to get the concept across and still have a satisfying arc for the story and character.

jannert likes this.
  2. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

The only way to know if you have the ability to pull that off is to actually try it, and be honest with yourself to admit it didn't work. And the reason I say that, is because often times you find your voice, not through success, but through failure! So, this idea might be too off the wall ambitious for it to work. Okay, but maybe through the writing process, you'll find something that works better!

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I quite like your story idea. Sounds just like the way I worry about stuff. Worry worry worry, then nothing happens! (Sometimes, anyway.) I think that would make an excellent story. A twist on the usual Groundhog Day theme, where something has to change in order to achieve a different outcome. Readers will be looking to spot that change, when they realise the character is caught in a repetitive loop, so your ending will come as a surprise. And a thoughtful one.

Go for it! :)

And welcome to the forum. I'm one of the forum moderators, and I'd like to direct you to two links. Please read these, to get yourself oriented to the way the forum operates. And if you encounter any problems getting settled, don't hesitate to contact me (or one of my fellow moderators.) Just click on my owl avatar and 'start a conversation' with me.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

Cheers, Jan