1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Showing Grunts/Thrusts?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by frigocc, Mar 12, 2021.

Basically, writing a screenplay, and I have a character that's big, hulking, and angry. Oftentimes, little things will throw him into a big rage, where he'll do things like pick up and throw the bad guys, stab them over, and over, and over again with incredibly brute force, and stuff like that.

I'm having a bit of difficult figuring out how to convey this. I notice that this essentially just turns half his dialogue into, "AAAAAHHHHH!" "ARRGHHHH!!!" "GRRRRRR!!!" or some iteration thereof. And it not only looks bad, but it reads bad. Any tips on how to better make my character's anger authentic, albeit strong and brutish? Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

MATCH CUT TO:
    ANDY'S FACE (40s, hulking, 5 o'clock shadow), grimacing and sweating. He winds up his arm off-screen, and thrusts it forward, screaming.​
    Just as he screams --
    ANDY
    Aaaaahhhhh!
    Blood SPLATTERS across his face. Another thrust.
    ANDY
    Aaaaahhhhh!​
    More blood. A third thrust.​
    ANDY
    AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!​
    REVERSE SHOT TO REVEAL --

INT. MANSION ART STUDIO - DAY

Andy, standing before an abstract painting, holding a red-tipped paintbrush.​

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

It's a screenplay, right? Isn't the goal basically just to inform an actor and a director what action and emotion the actor is supposed to create in front of the cameras? I have never written or even read a screenplay but it would seem to me that "AAAAAHHHHH!" "ARRGHHHH!!!" and "GRRRRRR!!!" pretty much tee it up, and from there it's the job of the director and actor to flesh it out (to "realize" it, in the literal sense).

Perhaps a different option would be to not verbalize it in quotes, but to use stage directions, such as [utters loud grunt].

Lifeline likes this.
  3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

You only write the actual dialogue in a screenplay. Important sounds you can add like: "screams with terror" but it's up to the director to interpret any other sounds necessary, not the writer.

4. Ellen_Hall

Ellen_Hall Active Member

The director will take certain liberties with character expression.

"(shouts in rage)" is about as far as you can take it.

5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Showing Grunts/Thrusts?

... Should this be in Erotica? :cool:

Rosacrvx likes this.