Shows that should never have been cancelled

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Gigi_GNR, Mar 30, 2013.

1. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Was that actually cancelled? I've heard Cleese say in interviews that he found Basil a very draining character to play, so I always assumed it was he who put an end to it.

BTW, I was very happy to see that Andrew Sachs not only had a small part in Dustin Hoffman's debut directorial effort, "Quartet", but that his work in Fawlty Towers was credited at the end.

I'm so sorry, he's from Barcelona.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Actually, I think you're right. Cleese stopped it. Still, it's the funniest sitcom I've ever seen, and there are only twelve episodes! That's practically a crime.

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Don't mention the war.

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I am never going to understand why they did that - it was like they were trying to sink the show before it even began.

Joss Whedon has pretty amazing self-restraint, though - in the past few years, fans have tried to organize fundraisers to get enough money to start the series up again, but he never agrees to it. After Veronica Mars gained the money it needed in record time, he had to come out right away and quash any rumours that the same was being done for Firefly. Probably too busy with the Marvel Universe, and maybe he realizes that a reboot might go south and wreck what's already there. Not likely, but a possibility.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The network didn't like the real first episode to kick off the series. In typical pinheaded fashion, they insisted on a more action-oriented first episode. The same thig happened with the original Star Trek - "The Cage" was too cerebral a pilot to sell, so Roddenberry submitted "Where No Man Has Gone Before" as the second pilot.

They never learn.

As for reviving cancelled series, it's rarely possible because the actors have to move on to other contracts. Sets are torn down, and the cost of re-creating them is an added hurdle.

6. Sanjuricus

Sanjuricus Active Member

I read a recent interview with Nathan Fillion where he hinted that there was a possibility (now that Joss Whedon was considered deity in Hollywood following Avengers) of something happening when he finished with Castle which is still going strong but is in season 5.

I was gutted that Dollhouse was cancelled.
    I nearly murdered 30,000 people when I found out Invader Zim was being cancelled, that was quite literally the funniest show on TV at the time.
    There was a show a few years ago called John Doe I think, it was about a man who knew everything except for who he was...that was cancelled. I was sad. :(
    Terra Nova was just about starting to show promise when it was cancelled.
    Was also surprised to hear that Angel was cancelled midway through season 5 so the rest of the season was re-written to wrap it up.
    Kinda used to enjoy Earth: Final Conflict as well but that just faded away into obscurity, don't even know if it was cancelled...might check IMDB.

7. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I want another Star Trek series as well. I loved Voyager and think it had an entertaining run. I don't watch a whole lot of real-life shows, I did that mostly in the 90's, so I'm going to have to go with Spectacular Spider-Man and Teen Titans.

The only way I'm going back to watching TV religiously is if Joss Whedon comes up with another fantasy/sci-fi series that has his FULL attention, in the same way he looked after Buffy. I don't want him giving writers free reign over his projects (season 8...) and thus screwing things up. He has to be in the front lines; master and commander, otherwise it's going to fail.

8. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Oh yes! Pushing Daisies I absolutely agree on that one! I adored that show. I need to get it on dvd so I can go watch it to my heart's content!

I have never seen Firefly. Mostly because I'm am certain I would love it and then be absolutely heart broken there weren't more episodes. I know I will cave eventually. I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to anything fictional.

9. sanco

sanco New Member

I thought Party Down was a great show and had a lot of potential.

10. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Space: Above and Beyond
    Rome
    Deadwood
    Coupling (British version)

I guess I'm one of them. I still have no idea what people liked about that show. To say I hated it would be kind. I almost walked out on Serenity, and I never do that. I sat through Van Helsing FFS!

11. DeathChamberzMusic

DeathChamberzMusic New Member

Mostly dramas here

Up All Night ( but it was cancelled because the star left)

Heroes It was falling but still shouldn't have just cancelled it with no real ending

No Ordinary Family

12. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

I just thought of another one!

Kings. It was a parallel universe retelling of the story of David and Saul set in modern times, and was fascinating. But NBC shut it down after only four episodes. :/

13. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Going to agree with everyone here and put Firefly at the top of that list. It was certainly the show that wasn't given a chance. Half a season? Really Fox? Though they got so much outrage from it they continued Dollhouse for a second season to let Whedon wrap up the story. Too bad the story and characters weren't nearly as captivating as Firefly.

Also going to put Pushing Daisies and Dead Like Me on that list. I don't think those shows got enough credit and I thought the ending on Pushing Daisies felt very forced and fake. You could really see the writers desperately trying to tie up loose ends there and it was very sad.

14. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

GANTZ,Megas XLR,and Samurai Jack.

Dean Stride likes this.
  15. Al Stevens

Al Stevens New Member

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman

16. ARDD

ARDD New Member

Stargate universe, firefly and the fact they stopped doing new Star Trek shows, used to be every 5-7 years they'd start a new one but since Enterprise bit the dust...nothing.

17. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Aaron Sorkin's first work after Wing West which I was (still am) in love with. Complete box set has pride of place. Studio 60 kept someof the West Wing characters as well as other big stars such as Chandler Bing but was sadly and brutally axed after season 1 :(

18. CyberFD

CyberFD Member

Can we just talk about the fact that I've only seen two Dollhouse mentions? I absolutely adored that show. Although I can't lie when I say I'm happy with how it ended, I wish there was more.

19. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'll agree with Dollhouse and Firefly, both.

20. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

It's really too bad that Whedon's busy with Avengers stuff, because Firefly could make such a comeback now. If anything, AD's newest season on Netflix shows that online is a serious contender for new content and viewership, and I'd love to see Firefly start up again someplace it could flourish a lot more.

21. Annaberru

Annaberru Member

It annoys me to no end that shows like 'My name is Earl' gets cancelled while stuff like 'The secret life of an american teenager' has five seasons and is still running.

mg357 likes this.
  22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It annoys me that any show in the history of television was ever cancelled while that Honey Boo Boo abomination continues to see air-time.

Wyr, slurpy_NinJa and mg357 like this.
  23. Alucard Inoue

Alucard Inoue New Member

Star Trek: Voyager. I really liked the crew.
    Even Stevens was just too funny. I'll never be able to take Shia Labeouf seriously as an action star. He'll always be the goofball, Louis Stevens.
    The Spectacular Spider-Man. It was the best action cartoon since Avatar: The Last Airbender. Spectacular has some of the best animated action scenes ever. The dialogue and plot build-ups was well written. And the continuity between episodes was really well executed (and surprising to even exist). Sony lossed rights. Disney gained rights. Spectacular cancelled. Ultimate Spider-Man now airs; targeting only children audience :(

24. rhduke

rhduke Member Reviewer

I share your sadness for SSM. Was Voyager cancelled? I thought it ran it's full course, I mean they made it home and everything. Still, 7 seasons is better then how far Enterprise got lol

25. Alucard Inoue

Alucard Inoue New Member

Oops. Yeah, you're right. Both Voyager and Even Stevens didn't get cancelled. They were just shows that I didn't want to end.