1. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

Sign Spinning

Discussion in 'Research' started by The Degenerate, Jun 23, 2011.

From what I gather, Sign Spinners get very competitive with one another. But how does one get into Sign Spinning, and improve from there? Are there classes? Competitions? The competition is more of interest to me, as it may be the crux of something I'll be writing shortly.

2. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

Not sure but you should see the guy on my corner. It is cool just to watch him. He dances, he sings, he bows. lol

3. art

art Contributor Contributor

By not being a Briton. British sign carriers are, as a rule, very morose and undemonstrative.. (Tbf light drizzle is the established weather pattern in most cities but even so...) A reluctance to draw attention to oneself particularly when one is doing a job many might look down upon, one might think.

So, a very American enterprise, perhaps..

4. The Degenerate

These two Sign Spinners at the strip by my house are in constant competition with one another. I think I'm going to ask them a few questions when they get a break from all that spinning.

5. CottonCandi

CottonCandi Active Member

Let us know what you find out, Den. I would be interested in knowing how much they make.

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

In the bigger cities. In small towns there is less of a demand for them. And some guys just stand perfectly still just holding the sign and make you wonder if they are even alive.

7. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    I've done this, and it does get quite competitive. Chances are though....no training. Most people who take a sign spinning job are just like anyone else in the minimum wage market...looking for work when they can get it. One of the reasons, at least I found, that things get so competitive has nothing to do with the company/enterprise you're working for but more the boredom of such a job. You're standing out in middle of a sidewalk, usually on a busy street while cars blow by in Summer weather. Competition makes a slow job go by faster. If you're trying to figure out how to spin the cardboard sign with your toes while standing on your head to out do the competition, you're likely to occupy yourself long enough for an eight hour shift in the July sun to speed by.

8. wolfi

wolfi New Member

I'm not sure if its the same evrey where but here we tip them evrey now and then

So thats another reasson at least here

9. The Degenerate

Ah, this is definitely helpful. My main character got into Sign Spinning because he just dropped out of college, applied for a job as a tattoo artist, and got stuck spinning.

Apparently, this company runs sign spinning competitions. Interesting stuff:

http://www.aarrowads.com/