1. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

Silly question concerning sales on Amazon

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Porcupine, May 2, 2011.

I have a somewhat stupid question... so my first book is available on Amazon, and I was surprised to note recently that there are now two used copies for sale (so somebody actually bought it?!) and now there are even four. Now, never mind that one of them is about 20 GBP more expensive than buying the book new from Amazon direct (could be one of my two signed copies, though that would be very strange ;) ). What I've noticed is that all four "used" copies are being sold by what look like bookshops, and they all have in their product description "new, print on demand" instead of "used".

So... I don't get it. Are they selling used books or are they just offering the same new print-on-demand book that Amazon itself is offering? Anybody know?

BTW - confirmed sales so far are exactly one, and that's a friend of mine. I haven't looked at the sales statistics from the publisher yet, I am under the impression they don't come out until a few more days from now.

2. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Disclaimer: Don't quote me on this as I am not an Amazon expert, although I shop there frequently.

Amazon has an 'ebay-like' service where third party businesses and people can list products for sale. It can be products that Amazon already has, so it's not exclusive. These sellers are using Amazon to make sales. They are new books, not used, and are listed as such.

3. katnip

katnip New Member

^what annuniel said. many small businesses buy things for their store and sell online.

somewhat off topic: what' s the name of your book?

4. Porcupine

Porcupine Member

The name of the book is "Korean Dawn".

Who would list a book for nearly triple the price on the same website, though... that's quite beyond me.

5. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

That is strange, yes, but it there's nothing to stop them. They might say something in the description that would present itself a reason for the price hike. It may be one of your signed copies...

I did an Amazon search for your book and saw the company that is selling your price for above Amazon cost. They wrote that proceeds will go to aid college students in scholarships so they have a bit of a gimmick with that. Some people may choose to buy from them to aid said students, knowing full well that the book can be found cheaper elsewhere.