1. Aeriion

Aeriion New Member

Simultaneous Settings

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Aeriion, Oct 25, 2016.

This is a pretty simple question, but I want to see if there's a certain rule that applies or if there are particular styles to make this clean and effective. Much like in inception the movie, how would I write out someone whos traversing their mind while also writing how their body is traversing in the real world, structurally speaking. I don't need ideas on material but rather the delivery method for how best to portray it to the reader without confusing them on what is going on.

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Will the character spend a long time in both places between switches, or will it be fairly frequent back-and-forth, or how do you see this working?

3. Siena

Siena Senior Member

The same way as you would write about two characters doing things simultaneously in separate locations.

4. Aeriion

Aeriion New Member

For example. My character is in his memories and feels the earthshake or ship sway as his physical body feels the medical airlift rock through turbulence. Im trying to find a way to synchronize my settings. Things that happen in one setting effect the other, but the primary point of view is from inside the characters mind and dream therein.