Skipping research is it ripping off the reader?

Discussion in 'Research' started by peachalulu, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

If the premise of your story relies on a condition that doesn't obtain in the real world, you may have written 100,000 words that the research obviates. If your story is set in modern day Brazil, and your story relies on Character X being in province Y on one day and city Z the next, you'd better have a believable way of getting him there on time, and don't tell me about an airport hacked out of the jungle he just happened to find, either.

I think you're raising an excluded middle with your objection ("If I researched every dog gone thing in my story before I ever sat down to write, I'd never write anything"). Clearly, no one is suggesting that you research every doggone thing.

What is being suggested is that some research is a wise precaution in order to avoid major structural difficulties that might arise. Because the OP's story is set in a milieu that is regulated by both law and standard business practices, there's an awful lot to get wrong, and the failure to research can have a much bigger impact in the this story than it might in a novel with a general setting.

2. Fluffywolf

Fluffywolf New Member

Pft, business people have no time to read anyway. *wink, wink*

Personally though, I think research is very important. I'm very anal about those things. But look at hollywood and its movies. Clearly most people don't mind it when research isn't done. :D

However, don't think every company is run the same. You'll end up with cliché's. A good way to see how differently large companies can be run, is by comparing Bill Gates and Steve Jobs in their younger years (who are almost opposites from each other). There are many ways you can write about business'.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

They had many differences, but there were also a lot of similarities. If you were writing a book about starting a computer business that began in the 1980s, you'd sure as heck better know a lot about both companies to make your fictional company seem believable. You'd also better know a lot of computer jargon and the history of personal computing, and how computers generally work.

MVP: If this works for you, and you're happy with the process and result, then don't change a thing. It's just not the optimal way to go about it for a new writer who has not yet developed a process that works for them and is looking for the most efficient and effective method for most people. There are always outliers. Thump did a pretty good job of explaining what I meant by "the wrong road" -- if you find out 100K words in that your premise doesn't make sense or could never happen, you'll have a lot of extra work to do. If you're willing to accept that risk, nothing wrong with it, as long as you recognize the possible pitfall. Some people don't mind the extra work. Again, whatever works for you and makes you happy is what you should do.

4. MVP

MVP Member

My point was entirely missed in here. Agreeing to disagree.

Peach best of luck, do whatever you need to do to keep your story and your writing going. If research will spark your confidence and inspiration, then maybe that is the next step for you right now. Good luck with your story, and come back to let us all know how you overcame this step.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

Veep, I got your point. I just disagree with it.

6. abby75

abby75 Member

I think it really depends on what the corporation is, the nature of the product and how much the story revolves around it. I would say you only need to go into depth if the reader wouldn't be able to follow the story otherwise..I have read books where the exhaustive explanations of every in and out of the character's background is off-putting and distracting, and frankly boring. If the business isn't the main focus of your story then I don't think huge amounts of research are needed.

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Okay, by purposely skirting issues about my project I'm getting some interesting advice - I think most of you are right. I definitely need to do more research. I've been reading marketing book mainly because the companies main problem at the start of the book is image. I've also been reading some business man bios. I should confess - the story takes place approx - 2120. It's not a fantasy or 'hunger-games' dystopian. There is a split disconnect with the past - they know
    a lot of what went on - but some of it has been distorted to suit their own needs. The company is a huge part of the story- or rather the product is. Most
    of the action takes place outside of the company though there are business issues which pertain to the plot - mainly an impeachment attempt. I was actually
    thinking of relating all the business action in terms of running a ship ( but not corny ) - which would echo a desire of the owner -
    who would rather be working at his uncles shipyard. I'm not trying to skirt doing the research - I don't mind doing research. Just throwing stuff out wondering what you, as the readers think.
    This is really hard to describe. Sorry.