1. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

Skipping sleep.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by M9A8E6S4TO, Dec 16, 2009.

I've been up since Sunday. I'll be up until tomorrow night. I know this is unhealthy, but I've got a final I want to make a good grade on. I feel fine, just tired. I do this often. At least once a week, I just skip sleep.

How often do you just stay up and skip sleep?

2. Dreaming Ashes

Dreaming Ashes New Member

I do this more often than I should. xD I'm just a nocturnal kind-of person. I'll stay up on my laptop and listen to music, and screw around doing whatever, or go play a game, or read. =P

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

It's happened a bunch of times this quarter. I usually can function pretty decently until the next night and just need 7-8 hours of sleep. But I can't miss sleep 2 nights in a row. No way.

4. Irish87

Irish87 New Member

Unfortunately I'm prone to insomnia. It's been one of those things I've dealt with ever since I was a little kid, so now I'm stuck hating going to bed before 3AM and yet hating waking up anytime past 7AM. I feel like I'm being lazy. I don't stay up for multiple days at a time anymore, however. I use to be real bad with that.

5. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I won't sleep for a night or two (though I'm kinda nocturnal so I should say, I won't sleep for a day or two :p). It's not that I try to stay up, it's just that I don't feel like going to sleep.

6. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I tend to be the same.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I also experience what Shadow is describing. Sometimes I just don't want to sleep.

8. LadyLazarus

LadyLazarus New Member

I try to sleep, but I can't most of the time. I often stay up for three nights at a time, and when I do sleep I can't manage longer than four-five hours for some reason. If I sleep any longer I wake up with a headache.

9. NyeLew

NyeLew New Member

You should probably go to sleep. Studying is important, I agree, but if you're too tired to concentrate and take anything in then it's quite useless and will actually hurt your chances come exam time.

10. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I could not do this. I get cranky & miserable if I get less than 8 hours sleep, preferably 9. Given the chance, I'm quite happy to sleep for 11 or 12 hours at a time :) I would love that. But realistically, I get about 6/7 hours a night.

On the plus side, you guys would all make great parents to new born babies =P you should rent yourselves out as night-time feeders lmao.

xxx

11. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This is alarming that there is so much difficulty sleeping from such young and bright individuals.

Your body needs sleep. Your brain needs a chance to turn off, cool off, gel, and start afresh.

When I was at the Defene Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, the course work was grueling! It was pitiless. Nothing like college or university. Infinitely harder. I learned to read, write, speak, dream, and think in Russian in less than a year.

SO many of the students did the aforementioned no-sleep routine to no avail. I always made sure to get at least seven hours of sleep every night after I had studied. I graduated magna cum laude, and I doubt very much that would have happened had I been sleep deprived.

Life is short, but it's not that short. Get some nigh-nigh people.

12. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Amen to that Wreybies.

Of course, in my case it's not dilligence that gets me to bed, but laziness. I love laziness. It makes a great all-purpose motivational tool.

13. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    Sleep in general is difficult for me, but it's due to medical issues rather than choice.

14. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

(Firstly, I think it is interesting to point out that there is a "stop snoring" ad at the bottom of my page and a "learn why zeo users reported improved sleep quality" ad at the top. Oh, Internetz.)

I try really hard to get a good six to seven hours of sleep each night, not really because it's healthy (which I suppose it is), but because I know that's what it takes to make me a pleasant and productive person each day. I can still be productive on zero hours of sleep for a few days, but I am an incredibly nasty person to all who are near me at that time. And if I go more than a week without some quality REM time, I just stop caring about what I do and say, and that's really bad.

In order to continue getting consistant hours of sleep each night, I try to keep a semi-static sleep schedule of 11PM-6AM on weekdays and 12AM-9AM on weekends.

Like Wrey mentioned, I have seen a significantly higher quality in my schoolwork (instead of 81% quality last year, I now have work at a 94% average). I wish I had realized this sooner.

Still, you gotta do what you gotta do. Especially during finals week, I tend to get significantly less sleep, but I spend that time studying, which in the end, results in a higher grade on a singular test and a satisfied nap afterward. I only make the all-nighter exception when I am studying a singular test. All the time makes me apathetic and listless, but sparingly and appropriately can actually save your butt. :)

15. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

When I was in high school, I worked at a movie theater and often worked until 3 AM or later. Then I had early classes, which meant getting up at 5:30, which meant often only sleeping for an hour or so. Then I graduated, started college, and worked two jobs, which meant I was usually at work by 6 AM at the latest and then awake until the very wee hours of the morning, again barely sleeping at all.

Now I'm done with school, I only work one job, but after six or seven years of barely sleeping, I have a really hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep. I spend about 8 hours a night lying in bed...but nowhere near that long actually sleeping.

16. Destin

Destin New Member

As a shift worker, you learn a few tricks that help you fall asleep. Here are a few:

Never do anything in your bed other than sleep. Don't watch TV in bed, don't read in Bed. I know this is difficult for some, because bed may be the majority of their personal space, but following this will really help with the no-sleeping thing.

Try to get to sleep around the same time at night. I used to be a binge-sleeper. That is, I would sleep at 10 some nights, 3 some nights, basically sleep was 2nd priority to whatever else I was doing. That isn't right. Most of what needs to be done can just as easily be done in the morning(you will wake up that much sooner.)

Don't oversleep. 6-8 hours per night. That's it.

Research meditation. Most people are skeptical at first but after using a few meditative breathing excercises and falling right to sleep they quickly change their tune. An active mind is sleep's worst enemy.

Set the mood. Maintain the same atmosphere when it is time to sleep. Dark, quiet(or music, whichever works for you), nothing going on. If you are a troubled sleeper, let your friends and family know. Tell them, "11-6 is sleeping time, no phone calls, leave me alone."

These things helped me sleep like a log, and through passing the word around to others I have seen great changes in their mood and personal health. You know, people can go something like 14 days without water, 28 days without food, but only 7 days without sleep. Then you will either go crazy or die. Sleep is absolutely important.

Which leads me to say, don't skimp on the sleep when you have an important exam! This is absolutely the last thing you should do! Study hard when you're up but get a solid sleep before the test. I used to miss sleep before exams and wonder why I didn't get 80% plus when I spent 4 hours studying the night before. Then I studied 2 hours and got 2 extra hours of sleep instead. I aced those exams.

Just search around, there are countless studies showing the importance and performance gains from proper sleep.

17. lavendershy

lavendershy New Member

I love nighttime - it's when my mind really wakes up and wants to settle down to work. Unfortunately, when I have a lot of school and other work, which is most of the time, I just have to get 7-8 hours of sleep, or my mind doesn't work just right and I'm distinctly unpleasant to everyone if I don't watch it. I like to sleep, too, but I'm rather like my hamster in that once my mind starts to wake up (which is, unfortunately, around 10 or 10:30) I'm hard to put back to sleep. And seeing as how we start at 7:30 (yeah, people envying homeschoolers cause we get to start late doesn't go far with me) and have to be ready by then (same with envying us cause we can do school in our pjs) I really have to go to sleep at 10:30 if I want to get 7-8 hours of sleep. So I don't just skip sleep - yet. Seeing as how I'm only about halfway through high school and have all of college in front of me, I probably will often enough at some point, although I'll always avoid it if possible.

18. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I can't write if I don't get enough sleep. Yes, sometimes I stay up a couple of nights in a row and hardly sleep at all, but then I come down again and have to get some dreamtime. My best ideas come in my dreams.

19. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I love sleep. I have to get loooots of it. I've skipped sleep one or two nights, but that's it.

20. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I will skip sleep to watch (my darling) Conan, Max, Andy and all the rest, who I will skip sleep for days to watch because I lurv them so very much. :D

21. bruce

bruce Active Member

Several years ago I experimented with polyphasic sleep. :D

22. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I have one word for you, my dear: Tivo.

23. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

Is there any definite cause for remembering dreams? Because I've been remembering almost every dream I've had for the last month or so. Most of them are kind of stupid, like... that apple just fell off that tree... oh, wait, the apple is blue... Just last night I dreamed I was in a snowy pine forest, utterly at peace. So disappointing when I woke up to find the blankets on the floor. :(

EDIT: Pfft. I read the thread title wrong. Oh well, it still deals with sleep...

24. Kas

Kas New Member

I'm a life-long insomniac. Nothing really helps, except keeping my stress level down. Not even meds. So I usually end up skipping a night every week or two. I used to frequently miss two or three nights in a row, until I stopped fighting it. Now I just sleep a little later each night until I get to the point where I need to reset my internal clock. That seems to be what my body wants to do, and the ten years or so that I spent trying to change it were miserable.

In a way, it's kind of nice. I've learned to look on the bright side. If I only miss a night once in a while, it's not so bad, and I have lots of time to get things done. And there's this neat side effect--if I have something important or interesting to do and I'm on my second or third wind, it's almost like my mind is taken over by an alien intelligence. Back in grade eight, I completed exactly one third of my correspondence Social Studies course in eight hours. Aced it, too.

25. Calrootpeg

Calrootpeg New Member

Cool thread.

"Sleep! Sleep! Writers need no stinking sleep." :)