1. Bakkerbaard

Bakkerbaard Contributor Contributor

Slogan assistance

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Bakkerbaard, Jul 13, 2022.

Forget the reasoning behind it and assume the afterlife/underworld has a phone company called Hecatelecom.

HECATELECOM
    The last telecom provider you will need

I have some issues with "telecom provider". I'm pretty sure there's a better word for it. I believe "carrier" is an option, but I have this idea that it's too British?
    And just "provider" suggests internet to me, instead of telephone.
    I'd like to reduce "telecom provider" to one word. Slogans work better if they're snappy.

I'll take an entirely different slogan if you've got suggestions, but there's no prizes.

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Who do they place calls between? Maybe some more details about the setting and the purpose of Hecatelecom might help.

3. Bruce Johnson

Also, what type of currency is used in this setting? Do people pay per call or do they have a monthly plan for all eternity?

4. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I would say telco and leave it at that. Just let the provider bit be assumed.

The last telco you'll ever need.​

Though it might be a good idea to build an internal rhyme.

The last telco you'll ever know.​

5. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Disclaimer: My father worked for Ma Bell (the old telephone company in the U.S., before the feral [sic] government broke up AT&T and instantly destroyed the best telephone system in the world) for his entire working career. I never encountered the word "telecom" while he was alive, and I never encounter it anywhere in conversation. IMHO, it seems to be an "insider baseball" type of term that people within the industry like to use but which isn't found in the wild.

6. Bakkerbaard

I didn't think that would matter for the slogan, but, sure. It sounds pretty dumb out of context, so bear with me.
    They're the company that provide the automated phone menu you get when you call to make reservations, or want to know more about selling your soul. I haven't encountered any situations in which people make outbound calls, but it stands to reason they might, at some point, call each other. Never came up in the story, though. Nor did payment.

I'm not a fan of "telco", I'll admit, but I do find it rather interesting that you included "ever". I had that, and was planning to ask about whether or not to use it, before I figured I'd rather focus on the provider-bit.

I was "people on the inside" for a brief period deep in my past. But that was for the main Dutch carrier, and to be honest, I currently can't even think of the proper Dutch word. We did use "telecom" a lot. Was on the side of the vans and everything, so it's a bit more common here, but I'm still looking for the word that works in the wild, worldwide.

7. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

Saying what they do is redundant if the brand name already has TELECOM in it. They should come up with a punchy values-based statement
    Which should be really easy for a goddess that was worshipped by millions. Bitch'll want royalties.

HECATELECOM
    Standing at the crossroads

HECATELECOM
    The central pillar

HECATELECOM
    Your line to the divine

HECATELECOM
    Cthonic Telephonic

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  8. Bakkerbaard

You work in advertising, stomping out slogans like that?

Lovely. Not gonna use it. Obviously there are crossroads in the story, because some tropes are mandatory.

Excuse me while I google this and pretend to know what this means.

I know divine covers all of divinity, but my mind immediately jumps to God.

Dammit. That could have been the company name. It wouldn't even need a slogan.

evild4ve likes this.
  9. Bruce Johnson

We don't know your story or worldbuilding, so these details can make the difference between a reasonable suggestion and one that is totally meaningless for your story.

Off the top of my head (and again, these may not even make sense in your story):

"Heaven can wait, damnation can't"

"Connecting you since the Fall of Man"

"Spirit and Loyalty. We value both"

"HecaTel: Eternal Torment never sounded better"

"HecaTel: Because free will is an illusion and you have no choice"

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  10. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

It's always nice if we can nail the slogan during the initial enquiry, but what matters is which of the available creative teams Hecatelecom have the most faith in.
    At £20k for a brand development project, with visuals and supported by focus group work, I believe I'm competitive. :D

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  11. Bakkerbaard

I kinda like this one. Perhaps Hecatelecom should expand into stereos.

I understand some knowledge of the story is required for a useful slogan, but perhaps I'd have done better by not asking for a new slogan at all. The one I had is, in theory, good enough for what's hardly even a throwaway gag. All I was actually looking for was a normal-person-word for "telecom provider", to make it flow better.