1. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

Smokers/Vapers I please need help with a question.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BearOfTheNorth, Jul 22, 2020.

Hi there,

I'm trying to write a really emotional scene for my character and need help from people who used to smoke but have now switched to vaping. He used to smoke but switched to vaping. He's a vampire so his body is always cold and I please need to know if the vapor feels as hot as the smoke does when you inhale it.

I'm very sorry for the weird question but I'd be very grateful to anyone who can help me.

Thank you in advance. :D

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I’ve never smoked but have known and been around several who do, and I must say I’ve never heard anyone describe smoke as ‘hot’.

If you’re talking about the throat hit, that comes from the nicotine content, and yes, vapes give you the same hit if you’re using a high-nic juice.

BearOfTheNorth likes this.
  3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Pretty much what OurJud said.

Different devices, different juices, have differing throat hits. Just like alcohol has different finishes.

If you vape menthol or minty mixes like I tend to do, then the throat hit is pretty much nonexistent.

4. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

Thank you very much, I've been researching the subject but can't find a definite answer. Some people have suggested that towards the end of the cig, the smoke has less chance to cool and therefore feels quite hot when you inhale it? :confused:

jim onion likes this.
  5. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Cigarettes always felt like they had a harsher throat hit than vapes, even when I wasn't towards the end of a cig.

EDIT: But yes, it's always going to be harsher, even hot, when you get toward the end. This is because there is less distance for the smoke to travel, and whatever tobacco's left is likely to be already burning.

Vapes, similar to many cigarette filters, allow for airflow. As long as your coils aren't burned, or you're not taking constant, long rips (inhales) on your vape, it's unlikely that the vapor is going to be hot.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, if you smoke it clean to the filter, you do register the heat in your lips and the interior of your mouth, but it's not remotely hot enough to burn the back of your throat. Heat is not the source of the sensation. As mentioned above, it's a chemical irritant. Even when you hit weed from a bong, which uses water as a filter, though the smoke is "smoothed" when you inhale it, you still get the irritation, especially if you take a big thwack.

It's not about heat.

Rosacrvx and BearOfTheNorth like this.
  7. jim onion

jim onion New Member

^Speaking of bongs, sometimes when my friends are partying hard, they'll put ice in the bong to cool the smoke.

I'll tell you what always burned the hell out of my throat, was smoking out of pipes. Even churchwardens.

8. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

Thank you, I'm please wanting to know if it's quite a warming sensation as well? He's a vampire with no body heat, I'm imagining him enjoying the warmth of the sensation but as I don't smoke/vape, I wouldn't want to write that if it wouldn't be accurate.

9. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Regardless, you're in luck, because the way that nicotine interacts with our physiology tends to raise one's body temperature slightly.

EDIT: Sorry, scratch that. It has a tendency to lower body temperature. I was reading this all wrong.

You can have him enjoy the warmth from the lighter, if you want.

The only other thing I can tell you, is that many will attest that nicotine can cause "hot flashes". You might want to look more into that, as that could perhaps be a welcome side-effect for your vampiric character.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  10. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

I think he means - does the vapour from an e-cig feel warm?

If you take a long drag from a cigarette, you will feel a very slight warmth. It's very slight, but then, someone with a body temperature at room temperature might feel it slightly more, although I suspect not by much.

And yes, taking a drag when the cig has nearly burnt down to the filter *can* feel hot.

jim onion and BearOfTheNorth like this.
  11. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

Thank you so much, does it just feel warm in your mouth or in your lungs too? Sorry for all of the questions but I have to get the details right. I hope you all don't mind?

12. Naomasa298

Just on your lips. It doesn't feel warm in your mouth. The sensation in your lungs, as others have pointed out, is due to the way nicotine reacts with your body, not the heat.

jim onion likes this.
  13. OurJud

Let’s try and simplify this. If I were reading a scene in which a vampire was smoking a cigarette or vape, and it was described as giving him warmth or even a sense of warmth, I would be frowning.

Describing it as giving him comfort would be fine, but I don’t associate smoking with warmth in the sense you seem to be going for.

14. Naomasa298

OP just wants to know whether the vapour from a vape feels heated or not when you inhale it That's all. Surely someone must be able to answer such a simple question without complicating it?

15. OurJud

But their question isn’t that simple. They also want to know if it gives a ‘warming sensation’ and if it feels warm in the lungs too. If the question had been asked as simply as you’re suggesting, we could have answered with a single sentence.

16. Room with a view

Room with a view Senior Member

I've always wondered how classic Vampires smoke/talk given they need to inhale and exhale to do both which would be a labour given they're dead.

This is something I'm trying iron out before I get cracking with my Vampire novel.

It's the little things that keep me up at night.

Don't forget to capitalise on the cornucopia of vape shop based pun names.

17. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

I'm very sorry if my question was poorly worded and it caused some confusion. Yes, I do simply want to know if smoking/vaping feels warm when inhaled, especially in the lungs. :)

Room with a view, in the Vampire: The Masquerade universe, a vampire can make themselves appear more human by using some of their blood in their body to get their heart beating, start breathing again and raise their body temperature etc.

Room with a view likes this.
  18. OurJud

Your question was worded just fine :)

I was merely explaining why I didn’t think a simple answer would have sufficed.

But if it is that simple, then I’m sure a smoker/vaper can give you a simple yes or no.

19. Naomasa298

You also have to ask... why does a vampire need to switch to vaping anyway? It's not like hes going to get cancer or anything...

In fact, thinking about it, being a vampire must give a good excuse to get high all the time. Drugs aren't going to do any MORE damage to a dead body!

20. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

In the Vampire: The Masquerade universe, vampires are terrified of fire.

Tobias switched to vaping because it's safer for him than lighting a cig. Every now and then, he'll risk it and it makes him feel alive.

21. Naomasa298

Until the e-cig's battery explodes in his pocket. ;)

22. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I'm not sure, but I don't believe there are any nerve endings in the lungs, which would be necessary to feel warmth or heat there. There would need to be a lot of heat in order for it to be felt by surface nerves in the chest.

Did a little Google. There are very few nerves in the lungs, so people with lung cancer don't feel any pain from it. If I breathe in really cold air, I can feel it in my mouth and throat, but I don't think I feel it in the lungs. Hard to say though, it's been a long time since I've been in a situation that would let me test that.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  23. Naomasa298

24. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Vape isn't warm at all. At least what I tried. Was more like air, very subtle. Smoke can be warm in the mouth. I have felt warmth at the back of throat when smoking a hookah. I would put ice cubes in the water and some people buy special hoses to smoke from that cool the smoke. Cigarettes are more subtle. Warm your nose and lips, slightly in the mouth. I've never felt warmth in my lungs.

25. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

What he said.
    But as a smoker who has also tried vaping, here's my two cents. Yes, I believe a vampire would feel warm by having a puff. If only as a psychological effect. But I take comfort from a warm puff in the winter (especially on a chilly windy night, on a bus stop waiting for the bus) and a puff can make me feel hotter in the summer. The cigarette itself gets hotter as it gets to the butt because the burning part is closer to your fingers/lips, but the smoke itself doesn't. The vaping experience is similar. The puff that gets in is heated. Not cold at all, like someone said above.
    I don't think a vampire would be afraid of smoking for fear of burning alive. That's silly. (Unless the vampire is so psychologically distressed about burning alive that it has become an obsession, but I'd categorise that as a phobia, not a real danger.) We humans would be afraid too if that was even a remote possibility. You may burn your fingers if you're not careful, though. There's little risk of burning your lips because you've dropped the cigarette long before that. Yet, it can happen if the cigarette is burning at a weird angle that doesn't get to your fingers first. Nothing that burns you alive, but you might get a blister. Not cool.
    So, to answer your question, yes, the puff is heated, it feels like a warm puff of air in the winter. Vaping too.

All this said, don't smoke, folks. It's bad for you and you'll pay for it with your health. Vaping is not good either as they say. I found it immediately worse for my lungs than smoking (immediate cough) and stopped it.
    Vampires can smoke all they want; they're already dead.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020