1. Samomo

Samomo New Member

So the MC knows he's a fictional character...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Samomo, Jan 3, 2010.

Based on the truman show, it's mostly parody. But I need help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is all very vague but I have a story about how the MC knows he's being controlled after meeting a certain man(who he believes in, but stupidly did not suspect him to be another character made by the author) So he tries to escape the pages of the book by initiating plans to throw the author off, and ultimately find a way to escape. In the end he doesn't realize he has no control over his decisions, but he makes it to a place called 'The End', where the man told him to go and goes through the door. And that's when the story ends. Would you do this in first, or third?

Is that too impractical? It's would classify as humor/parody and sci-fi-ish. Is there a way to go about it better? What would you do for the ending?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

Obviously, you know that at least one similar idea has been written and been successful.

3. Darkom

Darkom New Member

Indeed, I believe that is a case of severe romantic irony, and one book I can personally say uses it is "Sophie's World", one of the bestselling books in... I think it was Norway, but I can't be sure. Anyway, it was a philosophy book, but it ended that way. Very interesting, to say the least.

And of course, Cogito is right :)

4. thePenDragon

thePenDragon New Member

Wow, sounds interesting. I read mostly young adult fiction, so the first similar book that came to mind for me was Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. She didn't go as much depth as I would've liked about characters taking over their own stories and wresting control away from their writers. I've always thought it would be very interesting for a book to focus in on that. If I were writing this, that's what I'd hone in on.

Of course, Cogito is very right, though. :)

5. writewizard

writewizard New Member

It all matters in how you write it. I would like to see someone who knows they are a fictional character, though.