Contests So this happened in a Japanese writing contest

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by KJRid, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Doctore

Doctore Member

That is true, there is a ton of books being published that is basically the exact same thing as what tons of others have written, they are just changing the names of the characters and putting them in a different area and finally adding a big new shiny ribbon and calling it NEW! Thing is, the type of people who fall for this and read this crap-the same thing they just read-and think there is a difference well I don't think it matters much what the robot prints they will be happy just because the robot supposedly wrote it.

Now if you want to split hairs (and I most certainly do) I'd say we are being fed an illusion. Let's see here someone (HUMAN) made a computer right? Someone (HUMAN) put in the program that allowed the computer to use whatever it used to write, and I'm sure that someone (HUMAN) had to carry that son of a bitch into the building and set it up for the contest. So for an AI to have supposedly done so much....that is a lot of human meddling.

I did say I was going to split hairs...

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Active Member

You aren't splitting hairs @Doctore, you're spelling out what happened here.

A group of people wrote a more advanced version of Word's grammar check, fed a whole bunch of sentences they wrote into the program, watched the program come up with competing sentences based on explicitly based on the information given to it, edited that for clarity, then submitted a work with an Artificial Intelligence writing credit.

It's not Artificial Intelligence. It's a program. And it didn't write anything.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

It's a dystopian novel in the making. Imagine: AI has replaced creative individuals and the government is using it to control media/artistic output. And AI is actually more trusted by society due to their ability to fact-check quickly and their supposed neutrality, or something :p

tonguetied likes this.