So What's Your Day Job?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by threefivezero, Nov 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Seroci

Seroci New Member

I'm a security officer at a very large, popular, midwestern, but unnamed mall. It's one of the more interesting jobs I've had. :)

2. Daisy215

Daisy215 New Member

I'm a student, but i am starting college in fall 2011. So I have a job coaching gymnastics to kids with special needs. I really like it, he only downside is if I'm feeling slightly under the weather I can't go because they do not want the kids getting sick. Sadly I've had some virus for two weeks, and I miss the little munchkins.

3. Alan Lincoln

Alan Lincoln Active Member

Im a prison officer here in Britain and love it. I meet ALOT of interesting, though pretty nasty and dodgy, people coming and going every day. Unfortunately i see alot of guys come back because crime is the only thing they know, most cant even read or write (we help alot of them when we organise a 'homework' evening where prisoners who are parents can help their kids with homework for an hour and 30 mins on certain nights). Not many people can say they have a friend who has robbed four banks and eleven post office's, haha. As much as i want to be a published author i wont be giving up my career, worked to bloody hard to get it and because i asked my gf to marry me, i need all the £££'s i can get! :D hahaha.

4. Daisy215

Daisy215 New Member

Ah, awesome job. Someday any kids of yours will be proud to bring you In for career day. "hi my dad is a CEO he bosses people around."
    "oh yeah well my daddy's a prison guard and he beats people up, so ha!
    My dad has had a dull job my life. He's a professor at a university, which is cool, but he teaches math, not cool.
    "my daddy is an astronaut ( seriously a girl I went to preschool with had a dad who orbited the earth.
    "my daddy is a professor"
    " oh what's he do ?"
    "he teaches trigonometry."
    "Whats that?"
    " who cares?"

Ahhh, childhood. :rolleyes:

5. menehillion

menehillion New Member

Sounds like an interesting job :) Did your girlfriend give you an answer yet?

I work in the airline industry, with my new 5 years plan however, it will be replaced by studying photography!

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hey! Teaching math would be awesome. In fact, I plan to do just that at the college level in a few years.

7. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

My daily travail entails guarding and growing what few shekels I amassed while on yesteryear's day job which paid.

While otherwise judiciously keeping up vitamin D levels from sunshine and C from lime juice in Margaritas. To avoid Scurvy like the early "Limey" sailors!.

Free tip to my "Limey" friends: If you're holding lots of those Lb's Sterling,
    1. They're no longer Lbs they're Oz's. and
    2. That's not Sterling it's not even lead!!. Put it in real "Sterling" -(while you can).

It's all going in the "Loo" soon!! and the Dollar-$$$$--is what you'll -wipe with!.

Cheerio!, Don't give up that day job!.

8. art

art Contributor Contributor

Needless pessimism, Bob!
    I'm a carpenter and absolutely snowed under in work :rolleyes:

9. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Supporter Contributor

Takes a large breath before replying.........

I work full time as a Veterinary Technician at a local clinic. On the weekends I groom dogs. I am a full time college student... And I have my own mini zoo including five cats, a dog, two ferrets, two ducks (don't ask) and one very fat horse that thinks she's a cow. We're working on that issue....

10. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

My day job (as of today) is working as a Front of House Assistant in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.

Man, it feels good to say that. ;)

11. makdadsb

makdadsb New Member

That sounds exciting. I'm one of the dreaded QC guys.

12. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Why do you always talk about doing this in 'a few years', huh? Hurry up and do it! Life's not gonna wait for you, y'know.

As long as I've been on this forum (two years...woah) you've talked about teaching maths. How 'bout I vow to never leave this forum until you're teaching maths at the level you want to, huh? Now there's an incentive. ;)

I hope I become an editor or owner of my own publishing company before I'm 30 years old. I think that's realistic if I just work hard enough.

Of course...I have to land some editing job after uni first, and apparently the competition is huge. *Deep sigh* On top of this, I want to be a respected author. But everyone wants that, don't they?

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Because I need to earn a Masters in Edication first, and at this moment I cannot pursue that.

14. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Oh, well that's a shame. Surely you're qualified enough to teach at lower levels, though? Maybe you do, I wouldn't know, seeing as you're so secretive. :rolleyes:

15. Daisy215

Daisy215 New Member

You only need a masters degree to teach high level math? My dad has a doctor's degree.

16. JessaNova

JessaNova New Member

I'm a traveling hairstylist as well as a personal assistant for a popular ring announcer.
    On the side, I'm a youth group advisor and trying to get into a makeup academy.

:)

17. Joanna the Mad

Joanna the Mad New Member

Still studying as well. I just started my master in International Politics at the moment. I'm going to do another one in journalism when I finished this master. Then I'll have to look for a job, waaaahhh!!

@ Jessa: Good luck with trying to get into makeup academy! You can do whatever you want.

@ Daisy: I don't think only people with a doctor's degree teach at colleges/universities. Sometimes their assistants who only did their master or who are in the process of getting their doctors degree teach as well, right? Anyhow, good luck, Cogito! I miss maths from high school.. Always enjoyed it. Was quite a satisfaction when you get the answer right, like a puzzle.

18. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I have had a few jobs along the way on on my short stay on this planet as of yet.

-My first was an internship at a Radiology lab at a local hospital.
    -Then I was a sales associate at department store.
    -Worked as a transcriber of Spanish for a construction company, though my Spanish is acceptable as best. Also did some constriction jobs while I was there.
    -I was help desk for a computer lab.
    -I worked for TSA for a bit, until a back injury and complacent management forced me to quite.
    -Freelanced as a tutor, translator, computer aide, leaflet handing out guy for a while.
    -Worked for the Census Bureau this summer.
    -Currently freelance whatever I suppose, and part time office intern for a foundation.

I'll be a proletarian forever at this rate.

19. Joanna the Mad

^ Wow, those are very various positions.

20. Pallas

I take work wherever possible. Right now I'm making a couple of posters for a garage, more like a basement band of Ecuadorian rockers, haha.

21. Joanna the Mad

^ I think it sounds like a great lifestyle. You're free to do whatever you want:) Were you trained in radiology first? Tell me more, tell me more. *sings*

22. Pallas

Well, the radiology internship was merely me doing paperwork and assisting the radiologists. I was there as part of a biology program, which I eventually abandoned.

I will tell you that just scrapping by is not a great lifestyle, and I am definitely not free to do whatever I want, if I were I would have stayed down in Ecuador, but things are more desperate down there. If only we could get rid of this thing called money, then I am certain things would be better.

23. Capt Bob

Capt Bob New Member

If only we could get rid of those who print it!!!. I don't have a big enough wheelbarrow to pay with cabbages!.

Makes one wonder if they get to breathe that "Golden/Rarefied" air they print it from???.:rolleyes:

24. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Don't worry. They government is working on it.

Well...on getting rid of YOUR money, at any rate. :D

25. Joanna the Mad

Hmmm.. Okay maybe not. I didn't know you were having money problems. That does suck. New York is much different from Ecuador I suppose?