Software to help you write your novel!

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Neo, Jul 8, 2008.

1. karlsanada10

karlsanada10 New Member

^I did stop using the software. It's hard to be a writer if you aren't an american.

2. SeattleWriter

SeattleWriter New Member

Just wondering...

So I am not trying to be rude either, but it seems to me that if you are wanting to be a writer you would also want to learn the basics of formating and how to write a novel without the assistance of a computer based program that does all the work for you. That is just my thinking but a question none the less as to why it is needed.

For screenplays it is a completely different nature because you are constantly flipping from the left to the right and then back to the center before doing it all over again with multiple different indent lengths. But for a novel you are always starting on the left unless you are doing something out of the norm or starting a chapter (unless I am mistaken and feel free to correct me). And when using something like Word or Pages, all of those things can be accomplished simply by using easy keyboard shortcuts.

Just my thoughts. Sorry if they are blunt.

3. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I have 2010 on one of the computers I use, and prefer it to 2007 -- slightly. It is fully functioning, but may be (no -- is) buggy. I don't see that's much of an issue though; the normal stuff of editing and saving is pretty stable before it's released to beta, and although it might crash and lose work surely anybody who uses computers for anything knows to save often?

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Beta software always poses a greater risk of corrupting data, not to mention destabilizing the entire computer. Saving often doesn't help if you have saved a corrupted copy, unless you have a far more rigorous backup policy than most people are willing (or even knowledgeable) to perform.

Lets try to keep this thread on topic, though. This is NOT about what version or brand of word processor to use, or whether paying for a licensed program is a ripoff. It is about other writing software tools, and whether they provide any benefit to the writer.

Arguments about which word processor to use, or what you think of the companies that provide them, will be removed.

5. AbbyJessica

AbbyJessica New Member

Novel Writing Software

What is the standard program if you have a mac? Can you upload MS word on a mac?

6. Cogito

Microsoft Word for Macintosh is available. Word format documents are the standard for electronic manuscript submissions.

7. digitig

OpenOffice.org is available for the Mac (as well as for PC and Linux), can save in MS Word format, and is free. It's a mature, fully featured office suite from a major software company, and you should have no problems using it or getting the .doc files it produces accepted.

8. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

Software for novelists

Has anybody used or uses novel software?
    For example the StoryBlue or Snowflake Pro?

Just curious as to if it helps or anything.

-Kaye

9. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Never heard of it. I'll have to investigate now.

10. Stephie Kaye

Stephie Kaye New Member

yea i downloaded a trial of storyblue but from the pics of the snowflake i feel like i will like that one.. im just wondering if its worth it or not...

11. Thanshin

Thanshin Active Member

Ok, investigation done.

I wouldn't use them. I've got my own way of organizing my notes.

If I did decide to use an app to organize my notes, I could code from scratch an app like any of those you've suggested in under a week, and it would be tailor fit to my needs.

I was intrigued by the word count per day graph. I may make me something for that.

12. jeanne

jeanne New Member

Well, I think I already did what the program do. You could sort the ideas, characters, and scenes by your self using only Word.

13. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I like to write in my pajamas, they're soft and cozy.

Oh, wait. That's soft WEAR, not soft WARE.

;)

I use Microsoft Word.

For writing bad puns, I use the posting feature on Writingforums.org.

Charlie

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i can't see any benefit to paying for software to do what you can do just as well or better on your own... i'm willing to bet next to none of the pros use such stuff...

15. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I tried Storybook, which is good for organizing and such, but it had so many cool features I found myself procrasinating. Now, I've learned to be very creative with Microsoft Word.

16. digitig

Something else that most writers can do without the assistance of software :)

17. profexorgeek

profexorgeek New Member

Novel software probably has its uses but I view it like I view all of the "How To Write" books. They just help you procrastinate by making you think they'll offer some magic solution to motivate you. I have a few thoughts in response to a variety of posters:

Open Office
    I personally use Open Office, not because of any MS hate, but simply because it's free. It's honestly not as good as MS Word but it IS good and 100% more free! It has a fullscreen mode (CTRL+SHIFT+J) and spell check. I think you can actually edit screen colors too if you're that into writing green on black. You can save in a hundred different file types, many of which are compatible with MS products. It's also close enough to classic MS products that you can dive right in and start writing without learning a new program. Also, it has an active community so problems are easily solved with Google.

SVN/Source Control
    I have a software dev background like Cog. Incidentally, I think SVN actually can do diffs on MS files now so it could be useful. That being said, I don't use it for writing because it's just more overhead. Instead, I label my stuff like this:
    [project]_[story]_d1.001.ext
    The last number is the draft number and then three digits where I can save out my current progress in separate files in case of file corrupts. Example:
    LOTR_hobbit_d1.034.doc

Additionally, I use Dropbox, a free program that gives you 2GB of "cloud" storage that you can access on any computer (mac, win or linux). It is amazing and I cannot recommend it enough. It automatically syncs and provides some basic revision recovery. So, I can work from any of my three laptops, my desktop or my work computer and it auto syncs across all machines. There are similar services provided by Apple and Windows (LiveMesh?) but I really like dropbox.

Complex Plotline Management
    I am doing a similar thing to what PsyWriter described. I'm working on a novel with multiple characters and subplots that all are going down at once. I used Calc (Excel) and created a spreadsheet. There is a column for "world events" and a column for each major character. Each row describes a world event and a brief line on what that character is doing during that world event. I can send you an example if you PM me. It has worked well so far.

Anyway, sorry for the windy post. In software dev (cog will prob back me up on this) file management and project planning are critical. I think I've learned a lot of things in that industry that help me organize my writing. Hopefully these insights are useful to the community.

18. Widjits

Widjits New Member

I suppose a good way to stop lurking is to comment.. so.. hello everyone.

The original post in this thread, while 3 years old, is an inquiry as to what software is helpful in writing. This is a question I hear often but to answer the question, you need to decide what they are asking.

Some writing software offers a hand holding experience where it prompts the user to fill out form and structure. This software is little more than a template with no practical value to an actual writer. A multiple choice questionnaire with “fill in the blanks” is not writing. It might be useful as a tool in a writing class but has no value or place in the real world of writing. To someone asking for novel writing software that does the writing for you.. Simply smile politely then excuse yourself quickly.

Microsoft Word is the standard in manuscripts and you will use it for the final stage of formatting manuscripts for submission.

When you are creating, there is another kind of writing software which is most useful and most certainly is used by many professionals.

Software like “Write it Now” is excellent for document management, citations, reference, timelines, character data, and simply organizing a writing project. I used it for years as a primary tool and still do for some things. The weakness in this one is image manipulation.

My favorite today is Liquid Story which is an advanced suite of utilities that do all the same things as Write it Now plus a variety of other useful tools, including images. It is complex with a daunting interface but a few days tinkering with it, and it will simply click.. or maybe not.. for me.. it clicked. I can keep every bit of research in well ordered structure with this tool. Neither software will write for you, but they put many powerful tools conveniently in reach.

I used to use Word Perfect for documents, Thumbs plus for image management, Lotus 123 for timelines, and multiple notebooks for reference. My files for a writing project fit neatly into milk crates under my desk. Today, in the event of fire, a usb memory stick is on my keychain.. now I can run screaming out of a fire minus the milk crates.

There is so much more to writing a book than word processing.
    Don’t apologize for finding tools that help your efforts.

19. jacktheknife

jacktheknife New Member

I have out grown 'Word' / downloading trial Adobe Robo/...?

Thanks for reading,

Has anybody here used 'Adobe' book writing software?
    I have a book I wrote in 'Word',
    but now that I am trying to 'put it together'
    I realize Word is is useless at 'putting books together'.

I am downloading Adobe {Robo-something} book writing software.
    {But haven't seen it yet}
    Has anybody ever used it?
    {as I sure would like advise on this subject}

I hear printers want new books to come in as PDF files.
    {Adobe makes the software for that too}
    I must learn this, as I tried Lulu but it is not 'right' either.
    {Maybe it is just me}

What book writing software do y'all like?

Thank you...♪

J. Winters von Knife
    {Sandymay and old Archdukedog von Knife}

20. Cogito

How do you "outgrow" Word? Word documents are the primary format preferred by publishers for submissions.

Unless you are self-publishing, you need not worry what fomat printers prefer. And if you are considering self-publishing, you should know, not guess, what formats are needed in all phases of producing your book.

Learning to be a good writer is work enough. If you intend to self-publish, you need to become an expert in all aspects of the publishing business, and be prepared to invest extensively in the project, both financially and in terms of time.

Personally, I'd rather put my time and effort into writing.

21. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Agreed - I still don't see the point in anything other than either word, or even notepad.

22. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

notepad isn't good enough for a serious/professional writer, imo... and ms word is the lingua franca of the writing world...

ms word is all anyone needs, other than final draft, if you're writing scripts...

fyi, i 'put together' all 6 of my own books that i pay to have printed so i can give them away, and other than turning my ms word file into pdf, my printer didn't have to change a single thing... the contents include a lot of poetry that had to have format maintained and they even contain illustrations...

23. digitig

Basically, lots of writers apparently keep control of the structure of large scale works through the use of loads of 6x4 file cards or doodles all over a wall of their study. I'd never be able to find the file cards from one day to the next, and my wife won't let me write on the walls, but some software does the same job as those file cards and doodles. You don't need the software. You might be able to keep everything in your head, or maybe you like the physicality of 6x4s. But I can certainly see the point in the software because it's doing a job that lots of writers find needs to be done.

24. Widjits

Widjits New Member

Some great works were written with quill and ink, pencils, typewriters, and MS Word.
    Did the choice of tool matter? Probably not, but the user of MS Word probably spelled better.

If someone is looking for tools to help their writing. Such tools exist and range from glitz to elegant simplicity. That a purist might view it as extraneous is not the answer to the question, though it is a valid opinion.

I would suggest that tools can be extremely valuable in any organized and structured effort.

25. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

For those of you who are [​IMG] there is Scrivener.

I love it. It fits my process. It beautifully compiles everything I have written into perfect manuscript format as a .doc file and pretty much every other file type you could ask. Yes, .doc is the standard for the vast majority of everything and everyone, but I have found the capacity to create .rtf format manuscripts handy.

This entire thread is a little like arguing over gustatory taste.