1. JessicaT

JessicaT Member

Song Lyrics and Your Character's Development/Chemistry

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by JessicaT, Apr 17, 2019.

Caution: lengthy read ahead.

I could probably give this thread starter a variety of titles or at least a few variations on the one I went with. Here's a little back-story to what's driving it.

One of my WIPs has a MC who is a college freshman psych major. Her best friend (BF) is also a freshman and they've been friends from the moment they met on campus and their friendship continues to grow. The BF discloses to the MC one evening that her father sexually abused her as a kid (and BF is embraced by the MC). On top of the sexual abuse, when she told her mother, her mother denied (see lyrics, "whatever we deny or embrace") that anything like that would ever happen and shut the BF down as a kid. The abuse continued for a while as well as the denial (but, yeah, mom knew) to this very day.

I sat down a couple of nights ago with pen and paper in hand to start another scene from this WIP that's been knocking around in my head. In this scene, the MC has taken her BF home with her for a long weekend and to introduce her to her mom. (Side note: the BF's father hasn't been in the picture for several years and her relationship with her mother was never the same, quiet strained actually to this day.) After a long day of running around in the MC's old neighborhood (300 miles from campus), the MC, BF and MC's mom are planning to relax, pop some popcorn and watch a stupid movie together.

While the BF and MC's mom (a loving and nurturing woman) get along great, they've never spent more than a few minutes alone together and the BF is a little anxious. Having just showered, changed into her jammies, damp hair and all, and seated herself on the couch with MC's mom, both now waiting for the MC to shower and join them, the anxiety starts to kick in. Mom (unaware of the abuse) senses that her daughter's BF may be a little anxious and carefully considers her words, so she simply smiles and softly says, "I'm glad you're here" to get the ball rolling. The BF, acting a little tired with just a hint of aloofness, also seeing the MC's mom as a mother-figure, replies, "Me, too" and stares off in the distance. She almost immediately has a flashback to the night she disclosed her abuse to her own mom and the harsh words that followed ("Your dad would never do anything like that!", "Why are you doing this?!?!", et cetera).

I didn't see that coming and reading back over the actual and lengthy writing today I see that it will need a few re-writes.

But here's what's driving this thread title, content and whatever question(s) is coming. Later than same night, I popped in one of my Mom's DVDs of an old show "Crossroads" featuring singers Pat Benatar and Martina McBride. When I got to their acoustic duet of "We Belong", I just sat there and cried watching to it over and over... just to hear the lyrics "to the doubts that complicate your mind", the entire lyrics as well, really. While the song seems to be about a romantic couple, fresh off of writing that scene I also saw where it could apply to two close friends dealing with some very tough subject matter in their lives as well.

I guess my question is this:

Have any of you ever experienced anything like this while writing? Where some out of the blue song lyrics and the story you're writing (that kinda' snuck-up on you, too) seem to blend together in an incredibly very moving way?

I love this song (We Belong) and am considering changing the name of the story to the same title.

Many times I've tried to tell you
    many times I've cried alone

Always I'm surprised how well
    you cut my feelings to the bone

Don't want to leave you really
    I've invested too much time
    To give you up that easy
    to the doubts that complicate your mind

We belong to the light
    we belong to the thunder
    We belong to the sound of the words
    we've both fallen under