Tags:
  1. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Song-writing / Poetry

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Marcelo, Apr 1, 2009.

I'd really like to get into these two... Any suggestions or tips for me? Also, can you tell me the difference between these two? If you can recommend me a guide or something for this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Here's one thread that discusses the Difference between lyrics and other poetic forms.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a full time 'serious' poet and a lyricist, so can testify to the fact that while song lyrics can be considered a form of 'poetry' poems are not song lyrics...

first of all, rhyming is a vital necessity for songs... and lyrics for a 'melodic' song have a very specialized structure, usually beginning with an 'intro' that is then followed by either the first 'verse' or the 'chorus'... with possibly a 'bridge' tossed in somewhere, later on... for rap or hip-hop, they're much less structured, of course, but still arranged to fit the desired tempo and beat...

all poems, on the other hand, do not have to rhyme and their structure can be just about anything that fits the words and the poet's fancy...

if you want to get into writing song lyrics, i highly recommend the how-to's by the master lyricist i learned the basics of the craft from, sheila davis... you can find them at thewritersstore.com or on amazon... and, as with learning any form of the writer's art, you should study the best works by the best writers, to see how it's done...

i mentor lots of aspiring poets and a budding lyricist now and then, so you want any personal help along the learning path, just drop me a line any time...

love and hugs, maia