1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Sorting through a loved ones effects

Discussion in 'Research' started by Elgaisma, Sep 17, 2010.

Death isn't something a whole lot of in my life, everyone who died was ancient or a dog. I am contemplating adding a scene to my first book where my boys go through their father's personal effects, just bits in a box. The only things I remember like this were not the nicest everyone after the best bits.

I want this to be more a reminiscing. What sorts of things other than photographs would be good to have in the box? They are just the things taken from his bedside table and office desk.

I have tended to gloss over the grief in the rest of the book I think I need to make more of it.

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Books. Both flattering reading and non flattering one makes excellent artifices.

Something that reconnects with an earlier scene. Even something minor as the pair of glasses he was seaching for an earlier scene makes a powerful scene.

Left over candy. Fantastic way to interact. Do they dont they eat the leftover M&Ms? Why? How do they feel about it?

3. Lothgar

Lothgar New Member

Some suggestions:

"Oh my god, do you remember this?"

"This is the [insert whatever] that dad first taught me how to [insert whatever activity associated with object] with"

"This belonged to our first pet...I'm surprised dad kept it all these years"

"Oh my...Mother must NEVER find out about this, it'd break her heart"

"Wait a minute...this means...that I have a [Brother/Sister] that I've never met?"

"I made this for dad when I was just five"

"This was dad's [insert object]. I've always admired it."

"I never knew dad needed this, I didn't even know he was sick?"

"Who the bloody hell is Michelle?"

4. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

Brilliant suggestions Lothgar. It might be a little cliche, but you could have the boys discover a love letter written to their father. It might reveal a side to him they knew little about. He might have kept newspaper articles, a journal or thank you letters. I suppose the possibilities are endless.

5. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

Well, I just know I'm going to get a bunch of hype for saying this, and I don't know if I still want to. . .but what about baby teeth from the tooth fairy? Ooh. . . wait a minute. . . do you have the tooth fairy, Charlotte? I know you have Father Christmas. ;)

My dad actually has quite a few rolling around in a keepsake box of his (if you multiply the irregular number of siblings I have by the amount of teeth a normal juvenile has).

What about some dog tags, belonging to a faithful companion? My mother still has hers to her German Shepherd. He only had eyes for her in all his dog days.

Maybe a class ring? My father still has his. He gave it to my mother as a pre-engagement sort of gift when they hadn't graduated yet.

Maybe a stubby candle ornament in the shape of Father Christmas (my dad's favorite ornament).

Or a silver spray-painted Christmas ball with the wobbly letters J-O-E written on it (my father's first Christmas ornament he ever made).

Alright, those are just a few ideas. I could probably tell you more, Charlotte, but then I wouldn't stop. :D

6. Elgaisma

Thank you it has taken me three days to write a short chapter lol - on top of that can't remember where I saved it last night:) I have them finding their Dad's old school photos, I have to be careful about letters and journals I had them in my first draft but there is a revelation I am saving for my second book.

They have found and are sharing a packet of his favourite mints. I like the idea of finding teeth or something silly like that, maybe an early love letter - like the idea of that ooh actually I have an idea that will give it real pathos. Something fun would be good because he comes across as such a stuffed shirt.#

And something to do with astronomy and maybe his cats. OK thank you people I now have a chapter of fun. Just trying to decide whether with these two to end up with them closer or another punch up lol

7. Tessie

Glad to help, and thanks. I'm glad the teeth idea wasn't too weird.

8. Elgaisma

I used the teeth idea:)

9. Tessie

ha ha. Can't wait to read it. :D

10. Elgaisma

Soc and me fell out about it but made him do it anyway:)