Tags:
  1. Sanehouse

Sanehouse New Member

Spacing in a script?

Discussion in 'Scripts and screenplays' started by Sanehouse, Aug 7, 2010.

I've been reading a website on how to write a script, and I've been writing one as I went along. Unlike a novel, paragraphs aren't placed on every other line. For example, when adding dialogue, it tells you to go down two spaces, then enter the dialogue. My question is this. If you press 'Enter' once and it brings you to a new page, do you press 'Enter' again, or will the dialogue start at the top of the new page, despite there not being enough empty lines between that piece of text and the one before it?

Also, when it says "go down two lines", does this mean pressing 'Enter' twice, or does it actually mean have two empty lines between text A and text B?

I hope I've made sense. If I haven't, feel free to call me out on it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hi there Sanehouse.

From what I've learnt with my script (it's a BBC script so it has different formatting to yours), is that the dialogue starts at the top of a page all the time. And the answer to your question is pressing enter twice.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there should be no blank lines at the top of a page, regardless of whether it starts with dialog, or any other script element... and all elements are separated by a double space, but the text is all single-spaced...

you can email me for a script format guide and for instructions on how to set up your document properly for a script template, if you can't afford a formatting program, like final draft [that's the best and most-preferred by the pros]... once you've set up the template, you won't have to worry about how/when to hit the 'enter' key...

there are a couple of 'good enough for beginners' programs that are much less costly, so if you're serious about wanting to write scripts, you really should invest in one...

i mentor lots of aspiring screenwriters and playwrights, so if you need help learning the craft, i'll be glad to take you on...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

4. Sanehouse

Sanehouse New Member

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to write my scripts.

If you're offering to help me, then I'll gladly accept it, Maia. Does that e-mail address work for MSN, and if so, may I add you?

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, it's based on msn... you can email me any time, but i only use the im chat thingy for emergencies... i reply to email instantly, however, unless it comes in overnight... and i'm at GMT+10, so my night may be your day...

hugs, m