Spellbound Story Hour

Discussion in 'Archive' started by JessWrite, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amelyn

Amelyn Member

Jaye Audolf

Jaye had kept close to the shadows until now. Things had calmed down enough that she no longer felt threatened and worried about all the magic being thrown loosely around the room. She had heard of magic before but never in her life had she come across it. It was mostly practiced by mages in the mountain pass towers, out of the way and out of sight. She knew she stood no chance and even if she had to fire an arrow from the shadows where she hid, she reckoned that they wound sense it coming or something, they could probably even read her mind for all she knew.

Llop stayed close, sensing the danger as well. Until two more dogs popped into view. He looked up at Jaye with that sideways look of confusion, it was like asking for permission to check them out.

Jaye smiled slightly and nodded her head in their direction. He snuck out from behind her and the bookcase and made his way tentatively towards them. His nose twitched as he took in their scent. Once he felt he was close enough he stopped and just looked. His head was low, ears fully forward and eyes watching their every move. Eventually a small rumble could be heard from his throat.

He didn’t bare teeth but he growled.

It was a question, a challenge, a sound that in dog speak would have meant ‘who the f are you?’

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf New Member

“So...where are you from?"

The question found him unprepared. Where am I from? New Hope? The Dominae Galacticus? Space? “I am to assume this is the Earth, correct?” He surveyed the library, analyzing the sights and sounds, “And judging from the primitive materials used in this building’s construction, I am in an archaic century, am I not?” Aeros was careful not to reveal sensitive details about his origin. For all he knew, he had been detained by the Aelaestia on New Hope. This could be an interrogative tactic, a chemically induced psychosis intended to break his will and resistance to examination. How can I know this isn’t an inorganic construct?

He inhaled sharply, moving to speak, when he was interrupted by a haunting melody splitting the brief divide between words. Each person in the room, human, hominid, or otherwise, stopped moving; their features softened, and their aggressive postures dissolved like sugar in water. The melody rang out, reaching soaring frequencies and wide aural ranges, dancing across the cluttered room, reaching far into every corner the building. The Commander was stunned; no one had heard a musical instrument for centuries. The strings slowly faded, the frequency their vibrations produced becoming more subtle, more longing, pulling their final note from the ancient wooden instrument. Aeros reeled, longing to hear more, and suddenly, began to feel nauseous.Aeros began to feel nauseous. Impossible... no one could know that sound. This couldn't be a hallucination... music abandoned our people long ago.

This is real... He told himself. “This is real.” He repeated it aloud, hoping to concretize the reality of his situation. “This is the Earth before the War.”

3. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Jonquil: Beau and Belle

Beau settled back on his haunches as he watched the other dog slide out of the shadows. A low growl rumbled, Jonquil ignored it, her attention fixed on Roxy. The greying Border collie, however, had been quick to place himself between his beloved Miss Jonquil and the strange dog. Belle, although just half grown, mimicked the move and dropped the book she had brought from the stacks. No sound rose from either, but then again they had no reason to fear. They had seen magic before.

Beau dipped his ears slightly by way of greeting, but remained in his self-appointed spot. Belle cocked her head to the side, her tail wriggling a mile a minute, but she, too stayed where she was. The elderly border heaved a self satisfied sigh. The youngster was learning, more swiftly than anyone would have believed.

The old collie stayed alert, but there was no overt harm in this newcomer. Jonquil was a safe as she could be, given the circumstances.

4. Amelyn

Amelyn Member

Llop

I watch as the dogs move in front of their master.

Sniff…

I can smell them better now. One smells of old dog, a strange place and even a bit of man cloth. The other smells like pup; must be still young. They don’t threaten me… wait that was a head movement, though small I can see the greeting.

I stop my growl and raise my head slightly. My tail wags just slightly in reception of his greeting. I want to go closer but I am not sure if all the strange humans and the strange lights and fire will start again so I wait.

Sniff…

I check the air again, friend has moved from the shadows and towards the other humans. I flick my ear back to listen to her movement. She is still safe.

5. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Roxy Xalider

"Merely a series of dots, dashes, and lines upon a page. You cannot touch the flow of the song, feel it, taste it, nor see it. Yet you know the music is real. You heard it. Why do you doubt your own senses when you can hear, see, and feel us? How are we any less real than you?"

Roxy opened her mouth to answer, but she couldn't think of what to say. She had been entranced by the music, the pure song sending cold chills up her spine and goosebumps on her pale skin. The music had pierced her heart, her very soul, and for that brief moment the events of the day disappeared out her mind.

Real. This wasn't a dream, not even a nightmare. It finally dawned on her that what most thought was false she had turned into reality. Or, had the characters been real along? They had existed in the author's mind, her mind, and lots of others. It could be possible.

But, even though they were now in tangible human form, they still weren't 'normal' people. Roxy knew that if they stepped into society most people would look at them like they were insane. They would be seen as some crazy die-hard fans dressed up for a party, not that they were the characters themselves. Roxy sighed, this was getting awfully confusing.

Something landing on her foot interrupted her thoughts. She peered down to see Magnolia curled up on the floor and a bit too close for comfort. Roxy desperately wanted to shake off the hand, the exact one that had slapped her an hour ago, but that was out of the question. She hadn't heard the sweet sound of nothing since she cast the spell.

In annoyance Roxy took her eyes off Magnolia, to find Jonquil giving her that same unsettling stare. But there was a difference in her look this time. The corners of her lips were twitching, suppressing a faint smile. Roxy gave another downhearted sigh before finally answering.

"I've always imagined that you were real. I've read most of your stories, even hers," Roxy pointed down at Magnolia, "I know about your lives, which I know sounds kind of creepy, but it's true. What I meant was that if these books didn't exist, you wouldn't either. If no one wrote that piece of music, you wouldn't of been able to play it. But, it's pretty pointless to talk about this, because it's obvious that you are very real. Probably more real than some people."

Roxy didn't leave Jonquil's gaze as she continued, "But, not everyone will believe who you say you are. Because here on Earth, we only know you through your stories, and occasionally see you portrayed by an actress in a movie. But, we are getting way off track. Are you going to help me find my family and fight whoever took them...or not? If you think they can fight by themselves they won't because I forgot to mention, we're pacifist witches. My dad is good at negotiating, but I've read enough stories to know that bad guys don't always like to talk. That is...if they aren't already..."

Roxy's voice trailed off, not wanting to say it out loud. No, she didn't believe it anyway. Her family couldn't be gone forever.

Pheonix likes this.
  6. SocksFox

Jonquil: Think

"But, not everyone will believe who you say you are. Because here on Earth, we only know you through your stories, and occasionally see you portrayed by an actress in a movie...

Roxy's voice trailed off, not wanting to say it out loud. No, she didn't believe it anyway. Her family couldn't be gone forever.

Jonquil shook her head. This child was starting to see, but on some points she was still glaringly obtuse. "You really are proving to be a ninny. Some of us, are indeed from this world, merely a different time. Now think for a moment, what was your family involved in that would result in their abduction?"

Roxy continued to stare, her morose thoughts written on her face. Jonquil's gentle smile returned. "Talking us in circles seems to be a gift you inherited from your esteemed parent. There is a good chance your family is still alive. What would be the sense in hauling a dead body around? These villains of yours seem to have no fear of being caught. You know something, even if it seemed insignificant at the time."

7. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

Magnolia

Magnolia's mumbling turned more frantic until she let out a short scream waking up with a jolt. She opened her eyes but nothing but darkness, soul sense it seemed was no longer active, she would need to recast it if she were to make out her surroundings. She got up a little shaky then tried weaving,
    "Ack!" she held her head; it throbbed painfully. Her brand of magic took mental energy to cast not physical, weaving was hard if ones mind was tired or, had a massive head ace.

"my head is killing me, that dream was insane; I was surrounded by morons spouting nonsense..." She opted not to weave till her head stopped hurting, till then she would just live with being blind.

"Wait till I tell the elves about this, there not going to believe the lunacy. Ha elves, what a strange bunch." She stuck out her hand to feel for the Chester drawer that she assumed she woke up beside, instead she ended up; once again smacking poor Roxy.

"Oh, sorry about that little one. I didn't see you there...wait, you feel familiar." She patted her on the head felt the bump that was still there. It's then Magnolia realised. That wasn't a dream, it was reality and it was happening now.

She threw her hands in the air in defeat, "Okay God, take me now." She turned and tried to storm off but instead walked right into Aeros, who moments before she was certain wasn't there.
    This was not her day.

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf New Member

Aeros, his concentration momentarily broken by his sudden revelation, did not see the young woman charging towards him. Only a second before the collision, he takes notice of Magnolia, swiftly intercepting her, and gently sets her aside. As he quietly backs away, he sees a vacancy in her eyes. She's blind. "Excuse me. I seem to have found myself in your way."

Ensuring that he is out of the woman's reach, he then turns to Roxy.

"That this is real, I can accept: I have no other choice. But that I am a mere character in a work of fiction? This is not quite as easy to acknowledge." He paused, noticing that the room's attention was focused on him. "I have endured loss. I have inflicted loss. I have seen colonies of life wiped from the surface of alien planets..." He continued, "I endured deep space... I recovered from the disassociation. I have seen the vast expanses of our galaxy; I watched as we discovered the first sentient species on Gliese 581 G, and I watched as they slaughtered our diplomatic emmisaries. I participated in the fifty year war and the Erowa Manasus Massacre that raged because of it. I have lived every moment of 113 years, and I cannot accept that it was the fabrication of luxury. I will not."

9. Exzalia

Magnolia goes inception

Who was that? some one had gently placed her out of the way his voise was strong but gentle, it made her blush a little.

But that I am a mere character in a work of fiction? This is not quite as easy to acknowledge." He paused, noticing that the room's attention was focused on him. "I have endured loss. I have inflicted loss. I have seen colonies of life wiped from the surface of alien planets..." He continued, "I endured deep space... I recovered from the disassociation. I have seen the vast expanses of our galaxy; I watched as we discovered the first sentient species on Gliese 581 G, and I watched as they slaughtered our diplomatic emmisaries. I participated in the fifty year war and the Erowa Manasus Massacre that raged because of it. I have lived every moment of 113 years, and I cannot accept that it was the fabrication of luxury. I will not."

Magnolia reflected on her own life, the pain she has endured. She turned to Roxy, "Sorry for striking you that time, though you may of deserved it I didn't mean to. But tell me, does it hurt? Because figments of your imagination shouldn't be able to hurt you; I too feel pain and it is as real, as is yours." Magnolia crossed her arms she seemed to ponder something for a moment. "You say you read about us in books? Well I too have read books, books of adventure. If I being fictional can read then who's to say you aren't fictional your self!" Magnolia eyes widened as a new thought came to her. "And what if those who wrote you are fictional as well, perhaps that is what God is... the original writer, weaving a story with everything and everyone we know as a mere character."

10. Amelyn

Amelyn Member

Jaye Audolf

The events of the last few hours have left Jaye feeling on edge and if she was honest, somewhat scared. First being dragged from her world, apparently a book, to this strange place called Earth. Then to be confronted by magic, the likes of which she had never even heard of before, and to top that being told they were all characters from a book. But she could in all honesty see past these things, she could process them, though with some difficulty. The part that was the most off putting and, well frankly annoying, was all the childish domineering bickering.

She slung her bow over her shoulder and made her way into the light and towards the still growing group. Though she knew she had no chance with magic if any of the mages decided they didn’t like what she was about to say, she felt someone needed to bring some calm and direction to this continuing loop of conversation. They just kept going round in endless circles, each trying to outwit the other with either words or their ‘magical ability’.

She stepped into the middle of the group, trying to show an amount of confidence, though she felt very little.

“OK I have had about enough of this childish, domineering behaviour.” She paused, turning to face each person as she spoke. Starting with the Queenly lady, she bowed her head slightly in acknowledgement.

“Majesty, mages, knights and blood eater,” coming finally to look at Roxy, “young witch. I have watched and listened, seen and heard, all that has been said and done since we all have been ripped out of our ‘worlds’ one by one. I have no more knowledge or understanding then the rest of you, but what I do seem to have that some lack is quiet. Not quiet as in no noise, but quiet as in mind. I do not understand all that has been said and continues to be said, I do not know my purpose here but I do understand that there is a reason and that we should listen. Regardless of who we were before this moment or what stature we held in our worlds, we are no longer there. I am not suggesting we abandon our previous lives but I do suggest a moment for understanding and recognition to be held.”

She paused again to let her words sink in, looking once again from person to person.

“I acknowledge that this is all very hard to take in. I do not fully understand it myself, but I do realise that true understanding will not be achieved by threats and assertions of power or dominance. The fact that we have all ‘come’ from a fictional story, though hard for each of us to fathom, should not be the dwelling point of conversation. It matters little who or where we may or may not have come from. What matters now is that we focus on the important things here, like the reason we have been brought here. So in the matter of gaining understand of each other I will start by sharing who I am and who I was before this moment. Then my only hope is that you will feel the ability to share who and where you are from in the hope that we all gain some acceptance of one another. Then and only then can we turn our minds to focus on the reason we are here.”

She nodded at Roxy just to show here support of the girl. Then she whistled Llop to her side and introduced them both.

“My name is Jaye Audolf and this is Llop. I am 24 years old and I was in training by my father to join the Rangers once I turned 25. I hold no status in my world and I have no magical abilities at all. I am well practiced in the use of bow and arrows and I can hold my own in hand to hand combat.”

She looked at Roxy, hoping someone would take the cue. She braced just in case one of the mages hadn’t liked what she had to say.

11. Chronicle535

Chronicle535 New Member

Zaris Redmist

Zaris, slowly stepped out of the shadows and cast his gaze upon the crowd. He glared at the one who called herself Jaye and bowed slightly still glaring at Jayne. "I am the first vampire, slayer of monsters, born in the year 5012 A.D. sent back in time to a time before vampires ever existed, by my creator to be prevented from being destroyed by my the ones he thought were his allies, I am the first true bloodline, Zaris Redmist. I would appreciate if you never called me a blood eater again, while it is true that I can drink blood if I want to, in fact I could probably draw blood from you before you had a chance to notice my movement," Zaris suddenly appeared behind Jayne, and rested his hands on her shoulders, "but, I have forsaken the blood of my allies and I will only drink the blood of my enemies if I absolutely need too." Zaris appeared to his orginal spot near the bookcase he stepped out from behind.

"For now, due to my watching everyone with your last ordeal, I have decided that it is worthwhile to call you all my allies. I apologize for not helping out but I felt it necessary to gauge the strength and skill of everyone here." He focused his gaze upon Tina now, and his eyes softened. "Tina, thank you for trying to kill me when you saw what I had become, in my time of monstrosity. Thank you for thinking of everyone’s safety, I truly detest that form of myself and wish I was never born with it."

12. SocksFox

Jonquil: Called Georgi

Jonquil listened to introductions while she carefully stowed away her violin and hoisted her battered cloak bag onto her shoulder. There were so many...What had this girl done. What had her family been dabbling in that had brought them to such a pass. While Roxy hunted for answers to the debate, the young darkkin remembered her own shocking lapse in manners.

Drawing herself up to her full diminutive height of five feet, two inches, she stepped forward once more. Her heart thundered in her chest, knowing it was easier to be brave when no one knew who you were. "My name is Jonquil Georgianna Merriweather, born in Norfolk, England in 1795. Nineteen summers have passed since that day. My compatriots, Beau, the greying collie, and Belle, the standard poodle."

A lock of lustrous dark hair tumbled into her eyes as she paused, reaching for the right words. "It would seem that many of you come from places far beyond my keen, have seen a great many things, some terrible, some wondrous. You have plots and plans, ideas of what you are going to be and who you truly are."

She traced a nervous pattern with her toes. "Me...I have never even been away from home. All my life has been lived in books and music and the park lands of Merriweather Abbey. Durr says I am stronger than I know, but I have yet to see any hint of proof. I wouldn't even be here now if I had stood my ground, instead..." Jonquil's gentle tone quivered as memories assailed her. "I took the coward's way out. I ran away."

She swallowed a sudden wave of homesickness, her eyes flickering over to Jaye and Llop. Jonquil's fleeting smile was decidedly wry. "Majesty, mages, knights, and blood eater. You forgot to add wayfarers adrift. I am no mage, knight, majesty, nor blood eater. What I am, no one would believe. Legend has warped the identity of my Tribe in horrific beasts hunted for glory, uncaring of the truth behind the stories."

Golden fire flashed in the depths of Jonquil's eyes. She had read the legends, translated the ancient journals. Like the witches of yore, they had been burned, hung, stabbed and stoned. "Durr calls me a Lady of the Darkkin, but all I have ever been is Georgi. My story remains incomplete."

13. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Tarl Elmswood.

"My story remains incomplete."

How poetic. Tarl smiled to himself as he moved forwards to say his piece, his armor clunking as he stepped forwards. Where to start? What knowledge of his world did theses people have? Well, he knew Roxy knew his tale. Tarl pausd as he realised she knew how it ended.

"My name is Tarl Elmswood Paladin of the second order, although in my land I am more commonly know as Tarl one-word. I was born in the 1345th year of the 3rd age in village in the western isles know as Ironhaven." Tarl stopped to remove his helmet, the mail clanking as he slid it off.

"I was originally trained as a mage in the guild of the wordsmiths. While my words were powerful I could never use more than one." Tarl's face saddened slightly. "Which limited the control, and ultimately, power of my spells."

He paused as he brought out his war hammer. With a sleek pole of aged moon oak and a head of a pale luminous blue metal it was a thing of beauty and almost as tall as some of the smaller members of the group.

"So I decided to join the paladins and took up the cause of the light. I'll thank thou to stop calling me a knight aswell, they're not nearly as powerful or as honourable. Being a paladin also lead me to some confusion upon finding Roxy as a child is something I would look after, a witch however is something I would normally deal with."

His gaze moved across the room to settle on the vampire.

"As is a bloodeater. However, seeing as we're all in this together it can be overlooked."

Finally he turned to Roxy.

"I as the one who summoned me you are the closest thing I have to a lord and as such I am oath bound to serve you until you no longer require my services."

Tarl said dropping to one knee.

"Through light and darkness I am yours."

14. Exzalia

Magnolia

Magnolia shot a nervous glance at the vampire, instinctively she raised and arm then caught her self. No starting a fight now would not be a good idea,

"You most forgive me Zaris if I come off as defensive, but in my world there is no such thing as a vampire in control. Were it not for the fact that this very well may be another world, I would have blasted you by now, even so I would ask that you not come an arms length near me; I am not the type to take risks."

Secretly the vampire terrified her, she had heard of theses inhuman monsters in many tales, this was the first time she had met one and she prayed it would be the last.
    She then glanced at the uncastable, the one with the arrows, "An uncastable, how distasteful." She thought. Uncastables were rare in Exzalia but every so often a human would be born with no magical ability. They were mere barbarians who used crude and primitive weapons like swords and arrows, skittering away like vermin from the amazing power that was magic.

"To be born with no magical ability, must truly be a fate worse then death." she mumbled to her self. But the uncastable was no threat to her so while Magnolia had her prejudiceses, she kept those thoughts to her self.

"My name is Magnolia Radiant, Queen of Fare or at least I used to be." She hated admitting being exiled but while she was many things she was no liar. "I seek revenge against the one who betrayed me to death, and death I have escaped many times. Before I was dragged across the world by this Roxy person I was living with a handful of elves. I was Plotting my revenge,and I'm eager to get back to it. So what ever we need to do lets just get it over with already."

15. Chronicle535

Chronicle535 New Member

Zaris Redmist

"You most forgive me Zaris if I come off as defensive, but in my world there is no such thing as a vampire in control. Were it not for the fact that this very well may be another world, I would have blasted you by now, even so I would ask that you not come an arms length near me; I am not the type to take risks."

Blasted me? She surely has know idea how dangerous vampires that are in control of themselves are to even mages... Oh well... Another torn in my side... Best to heed her warning for now, and see how everything plays out.

"You have been forgiven, allow me to apologize for being so abrupt with you, Magnolia? Was it?" Zaris stared directly in her eyes and could see that while calm, cool, and collected on the outside she was absolutely terrified of him inside. This caused Zaris to feel like maybe he had tried a little to hard to make his point, so his eyes softened as he tryed to give Magnolia a reassuring look to help her calm down.

"The last thing we need now is everyone being scared of each other... Next thing you know we all will be ripping each others heads off, I think it maybe best to avoid that scenario being as I am quite attached to my head and would like to not lose it anytime soon." Zaris chuckled, and looked the room over and rested his gaze upon the paladin.

"Paladin Tarl, while I agree our situation cannot be helped, and under normal circumstances neither one of us would even share the same room without attempting to kill one another. As I am a being born in the darkness, I do my best to walk in the light, as I am sure you are aware there is a difference to being one of darkness opposed to one of evil. Would you not agree, Paladin Tarl?" Zaris stated while using the most reassuring voice he could, and as much as he dis-tasted it he bowed to the Paladin to show his respect. Then Zaris's gaze hardened as he stared directly at Roxy, it was clear that she needed help.

"Roxy, the young witch, I will help you" Zaris bowed once more. "I will fight for you until my time here is done, whatever harm come our way I shall protect you and everyone here to the best of my abilities, though I just have one more question if I may. I believe we deserve the truth, and how exactly do you plan on us escaping from the library and no one noticing that we look completely different than anyone in this world or time for that matter, say we are all actors in a play that's in town?" Zaris asked with a stern voice, but it was also concerned surely they all couldn't just go walking about a city and no-one even acknowledge their existence.

16. SocksFox

Jonquil: Soliloquy of Courage

'...as I am sure you are aware there is a difference to being one of darkness opposed to one of evil.'

Creatures of darkness, but not of evil. Did anyone even care about the difference? According to the manuscripts, legends and journals, Jonquil knew the answer, more often than not, proved to be a resounding no. The fragmented hierarchy of her own people was proof enough. Demon hunters, who had become the hunted. No darkkin since Lady Anne, who was burned at the stake in 1586, had completed a misting. Durr seemed convinced that she would be the first to finally revive the line, all because of a wretched mark on her back. Her mother had died believing the very same thing.

Doubt welled like a tide in her chest. How could she possibly be of help to anyone when she couldn't even help herself? As softly as a wraith, she slipped back into the shadows and slid to the floor. Her thoughts and emotions were in turmoil. Sensing her discomfiture, Beau pressed his silky dark head into her lap. Reflexively Jonquil stroked the floppy ears and murmured, "Everyone else here seems so sure of themselves, so utterly capable. They are the warriors and the heroes heralded in books and fables. I've never even been allowed beyond Abbott's Hollow."

A tear snuck down her cheek, impatiently she dashed it away. "Even there I couldn't seem to keep out of trouble. Look at the mess I landed in with this Phantom nonsense." Beau whined. "Maybe Taverton was right, maybe I am cursed." A self deprecating smile flared briefly. "It would explain a great many things."

Belle pressed against Jonquil's side and Jonquil, grateful for the support leaned her head on Belle's shoulder. Out of habit, she kept whispering to the dogs. "Darkest Kindred is what our name means in the ancient tongue. Great warriors, born of fire and starlight and song, who serenaded the moon and shattered the sky. They were the darkkin. The mighty winged beasts of legend...Dragons."

Jonquil's huge brown eyes flared gold, glowing in the darkness as she relaxed and fell into the flow of her story. The dogs listened, enraptured. "These dragons, however, weren't the clumsy, lumbering beast found in story books. These were lithe, swift blades of wing and talon and song. Lethal and cunning, they had but a single purpose: Protect and defend the Light. The darkkin were demon hunters, gifted with flight, their songs giving them power over the elements. Earth. Air. Water. Fire. Spirit." She said ticking each element off.

Belle nudged her hand like a child begging for another story. Jonquil kept on. "Most darkkin had power over just a single element and one Intangible, but there were others, who possessed power over two of each element and two Intangibles. These rare few were among the mightiest of the darkkin. They were the Ladies and Knights of the Drake. They were the ten, who laid waste to the Mange and fractured the Mask of Shadows."

Beau sighed, half asleep. "Each pair of these darkkin, the Lady and her Knight, took one of the five shards of the Mask and hid it away. With the passing of time, the Mange Wars were forgotten. History became legend and the legends, so seldom told, began to fade. The Ladies and their Knights passed on. The Order of the Drake was lost, so too were the locations of the Mask Shards."

Jonquil shivered and drew her cloak tighter. "There is some speculation that a piece of the Mask is actually hidden somewhere in our labyrinth. Durr says it must be there, especially given the mark on my back. The Wings of the Angel, he called them. A mark of a Lady of the Drake. Given this Phantom nonsense, I wonder if he isn't on to something."

The little darkkin's flower like face clouded suddenly. "According to the Seer's Legend, the Order of the Drake will return when the Mange again rises, seeking the shards. The servants of the Mange will journey forth to find the locks and destroy the remnants of the Order..."

Jonquil shot to her feet as if shocked, startling the dogs. "There has to be a connection. There is absolutely nothing else to be found in and about Abbott's Hollow. The legend is the only thing that makes any sense."

Restless now, she began to pace, kicking at the heavy hem of her skirts. "But if the legends are real, then that means that Durr and Mama were right. I truly am one of the Order, but I can't be the only one. There must be others."

Her agitated stride slowed as understanding dawned. In the silence the answers are found: Protect and defend the Light. Hope, the light of the world. She knew that hope came in all shapes and forms. Maybe she really was here for a reason. Jonquil knew what she had to do. "I just hope I have the courage to see it through..." She murmured to herself.

17. Chronicle535

Chronicle535 New Member

Zaris Redmist

Zaris watched as one of the group sank back into the shadows, with a look of immense fear and doubt on her face.

Great... This is all we need is to start doubting ourselves... Guess it is time to play motivational speaker... Why me?

Zaris addressed the group, "Please, allow me to excuse myself for just a moment." Zaris sank back into the shadows, and began to search for the Lady Darkkin, whom he found back a couple rows of bookselves back.

"I just hope I have the courage to see it through..." She was pacing back and forth, and he could see a tear streaming down her cheek. It was time to make himself known to this woman, hopefully not in such a way that she feels threatened.

"Doubts?" Zaris approached the Lady Darkkin with his hands raised in an nonthreatening manner, but spoke quietly enough that the group couldn't hear him speak. "Lady Darkkin? If I may call you that, I can understand you are overwhelmed with everything that has been going on," His eyes rested on hers as he tried to give her a comforting gaze, well, as comforting look that a vampire could possibly give someone, "but please remember that we are all a little overwhelmed with everything that has happened." Zaris lowered his hands careful to make sure they were where Lady Darkkin could see them. "Some of us may seem like we are sure of ourselves, and most of us are, but some of that talk is a bluff, truth is no one here other than maybe the young witch, knows the limits to our powers. Think of it more as a tactic of self preservation, if you let a possible opponent know that you are weak how likely are you to die? Everyone is here for a reason, whether it is to help this young witch, or maybe it's to find something in ourselves. If you were to ask me my opinion of the situation, I would honestly be able to tell you I have no idea, but what I do know is for now we are all in this together and we all need to have some trust no matter how shaken in each other as well as ourselves. I apologize I was never a very good motivational speaker, but I hope this helped."

Zaris turned and walked back into the shadows still being cautious of keeping his hands where they were in Lady Darkkin's sight, until she was completely out of sight. He let out a sigh as he thought to himself.

When the hell did you turn into the soft guy? I know this requires logic and knowing that in order for us to make it through this but still, when did I become such a suck up? Hmm... Well at least for now I can try to gain everyone's trust, hopefully. Zaris began doubting himself now.

"What will happen if I can't gain their trust? Surely, I can't kill all of them if they turned against me, but they should know if I was truly evil I would have already tried to attack the group, instead of trying to gain there trust..." Zaris growled, he was unsure of what he could do, after all he had saved Roxy earlier by taking an arrow to his back, and he fought along side the group during the first wave of attacks, but was that enough to make them trust him? Still in the shadows away from the group, Zaris leaned up against a bookshelf and decided to take sometime to cool off before rejoining everyone.

18. JessWrite

Roxy Xalider

Roxy sat quietly in her chair as she listened to the characters speak their stories, in their own words. She enjoyed being reminded of each amazing story, though she felt sad for Jonquil with being unsure of herself. Roxy knew how that felt, she was unsure of herself all the time. Even at this moment. How were they going to get through this? How were they going to be able to work together? Everyone seemed so uptight and tense, some fearing one another and some doubting their abilities. Roxy stared at them in surprise. Heroes weren't supposed to be scared of anything. They were supposed to be confident and speak words of hope.

Roxy sighed, rubbing her head where a new bruise had formed. Magnolia should keep her hands to herself, she thought. She’s probably going to give me amnesia and make me forget everything before I get the chance to talk.

A sudden voice talking to her brought her back to reality. Or what was left of it, anyway.

"You as the one who summoned me are the closest thing I have to a lord and as such I am oath bound to serve you until you no longer require my services." Tarl dropped to one knee, looking deep into her eyes.

"Through light and darkness I am yours."

For a moment she couldn't believe he was actually honoring her, but soon a smile crossed her face. Her sweet laughter filled the room, swapping out the previous anger that had crept into her heart.

Roxy held her stomach, trying to catch her breath. "Sorry for laughing Tarl, but it's funny you call me a Lord. I'm barely a witch, as you can kinda see." Roxy motioned towards the library, that looked like it had been torn upside down. It was a horrific sight, not looking anything like the library she had walked into. Books were littered all over the floor; no one could walk without stepping on one. Not to mention the black oil stained on the carpet, bookcases thrown across the room, and what remained of the dreadful villains they had killed.

Roxy looked back at Tarl, but spoke so that everyone could hear. "Since most of you have introduced yourselves, I probably should too, at least tell you more about me. My name is Roxy Xalider and I'm 13 years old. I was born into a family of witches here in Salem, Massachusetts on May 4th, 1999. My family lives, well used to live, in a home built underground. It's been there ever since my Grandpa's dad's dad dad built it. My ancestors had to hide away during the Salem Witch Trials, when people accused the innocent of doing witchcraft. The people believed witches were power hungry and wanted to take over the city."

Roxy turned around in her chair to look at each of the characters, "That was a lie though, and many lives were lost because of my family, who no one knew were witches. So they went into hiding before they would be found. My family doesn't have to be as careful now that those days are over, plus people today don't believe in magic anymore. Or, so we thought. I go to school and my parents did work in the city like regular people."

She stood up to walk nearer to Jaye. "But, I've never liked doing magic. It was the only thing that made me different and something I had to keep secret. I wanted to forget that I was a witch. I thought that if I didn't practice magic then I would be like other kids. I just want to fit in so badly and be able to have real friends that I could share with. No one likes me though; I'll probably always be the weird girl in the room. That's why I like reading your books. You were...are...my friends."

Pheonix likes this.
  19. Exzalia

Magnolia in utter shock

But, I've never liked doing magic. It was the only thing that made me different and something I had to keep secret. I wanted to forget that I was a witch. I thought that if I didn't practice magic then I would be like other kids. I just want to fit in so badly and be able to have real friends that I could share with. No one likes me though; I'll probably always be the weird girl in the room.

Magnolia gave Roxy the most shocked and confused look. It would have been better if she had said she was actually a pink elephant on a motor bike. Doesn't like doing magic?
    "You...wish to be one of the uncastables? Why would you wish for such a curse?" She put her hand on her head seeming overwhelmed by the mere idea that, a mage could wish for such a stupid thing.

"How ungrateful, there are children your age who would sell their soul to demons for the chance to wield such power. Your...such a fool." She was not yelling nor was she stern. She sounded simply stunned. Shaking her head she simply stared at Roxy in utter amazement. Then she came to another realization, the idea had never dawned on her till now.

"Wait...is this world filled with Uncastables?" She almost gagged at the thought.

20. JessWrite

Roxy Xalider

"Wait...is this world filled with Uncastables?" Magnolia looked like she about to be sick. Roxy suppressed a grin, Earth and Magnolia's world were complete opposites.

"Yeah, here on Earth people don't believe magic exists. Just like they don't believe characters from books exist. I'll admit, my world is messed up in tons of ways. Through history they have always looked down on people who are different, who are weird. Even though 'uncastable' people don't even know I'm a witch, other girls still don't like me. I wish I could be accepted by just being me. That's all I've ever wanted."

Roxy's face clouded over as she talked, her brow furrowing in frustration.

"So, the only way other girls would like me is if I wasn't a witch to begin with. Then I wouldn't have anything to hide. My ancestors hid for real, but I have to hide it in my heart." Roxy shook her head, "No, if I wasn't a witch, then I would be normal."

Pheonix likes this.
  21. Exzalia

Magnolia still in shock.

So, the only way other girls would like me is if I wasn't a witch to begin with. Then I wouldn't have anything to hide. My ancestors hid for real, but I have to hide it in my heart." Roxy shook her head, "No, if I wasn't a witch, then I would be normal."

Normal? you would be weak, even more so than you are now." she looked at Roxy with wonder. "What are humans with out magic? we are nothing! we only survive because off...how do the humans of this world survive?" She had not stop shaking her head since she learned off Roxys view point. "Our ability is a gift, it is not something you should be ashamed off. It's who you are, who we are as mages. Had you not of shyed away from it you probably could of used it to save your parents by now. Did you ever think off that?"

This strange way of thinking was starting to even upset her. All that she was was tied to her ability to use aether, even as a queen her favorite thing to do was practice weaving. It was like she simply couldn't accept that some could hold this view point.

22. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf New Member

Commander Aeros
    Aeros listened silently from a corner of the room. It had been so long since he'd seen this powerful an emotion, and longer since he had felt his own stir within him. He empathized with Roxy, though her pain was so small. It reflected in her furrowed brow, her distant, longing gaze; her shoulders slumped, voice hushed, almost pleading. The hurt she felt was real; profound, even. He had seen it one-thousand different ways in one-thousand different people.

He stepped forward into the crowd, interrupting Magnolia.

“The depths of our sorrows are all borne of the same well; indeed, each one of us in our infinite struggle reaches out in hopes that someone may help carry that crushing weight. Often times, we reach for a hand and find only space. More rarely, however, we feel the firm grasp of another's hand reaching for our own. Together, we share our burdens. Together, we relieve them.”

He approached Roxy, standing confidently before her, the ribbons pinned to his chest gleaming under the florescent glow, the platinum and gold devices commanding an awareness of both his experience and achievement.

“Your struggle is no different than those who yearn for freedom; those who fight and die that equality may someday be recognized for their following generations. The history of sentience has been a history of suffering. It is my duty to relieve your suffering. You have summoned our presence to that effect; now let us proceed with determination.”

He then turns to Magnolia.

"Had you not of shyed away from it you probably could of used it to save your parents by now. Did you ever think off that?"

“A bold statement to make, unless your scope of magical ability includes precognition. I would expect you to have more sympathy with the unfortunate. You prejudice misleads what you need not sight to see; her life choices are equally valid, as each individual struggles for freedom, even if only from themselves. From what do you intend to free yourself?”

23. Exzalia

Magnolia

“A bold statement to make, unless your scope of magical ability includes precognition. I would expect you to have more sympathy with the unfortunate. You prejudice misleads what you need not sight to see; her life choices are equally valid, as each individual struggles for freedom, even if only from themselves. From what do you intend to free yourself?”

She pondered his words, never had she met a man as him strong but wise. her eyes were cast downward as she pondered his question. "I'm trying to free my self from what all humans fear, pain, loss, helplessness, weakness." She curled her fists her shock left her, replaced by determination.
    " But the only way to do that is by obtaining power, more power than my enemies, so I can crush them, kill them, make them pay." For a moment she had the look of pure venomous hatred, suddenly aware that her darker side was showing she collected her self.

"Sorry."

She turned to Roxy eyeing the small girl. "Your annoying and I find everything about you deplorable." Magnolia shrugged and sighed at the same time.

"But I'll help you, Consider it an apology for smacking you. I was certain you had warped me for some childish prank. But your reasons are sound so I owe you that much."

She shook her head again in disbelief, "A world were castables are hunted by uncastables, how revolting."

24. SocksFox

Jonquil: Delving Too Deep...

"Thank you..." Jonquil called after Zaris's departing form. "And they call me Georgi, you can do the same." Alone once again, but for the dogs, she rummaged through her cloak bag, searching for her violin. Her fingers itched and her soul ached. The songs were pounding in her head. She needed to give them a voice.

Once more freeing the cherished instrument from its case, Jonquil moved further away from the group so her playing would not disturb the continued discussion. Here between the huge shelves the shadows were very deep. Velvet brown eyes again flared gold in the gloom. A creature of darkness, but not one of evil. Demon or the demon hunter? Only the songs would tell.

Settling the familiar weight of her violin beneath her chin, Jonquil set her bow to the strings and began to play. Light and sweet and swift, the first notes tumbled into the air, the joyful voice of a merry brook. Her fingers flew and her bow danced, her eyes ablaze with the power of her gift. The melody shifted, deepened as the weight of Jonquil's doubts began to manifest. Refrain to bar to bridge...Soaring again to the sweeping upper reaches of the aria. Once through. She kept playing.

This was a song no mortal ear had ever heard before, this Jonquil's own creation, the intricate, layered waltz of her troubled soul. The voices of Air and Water welled, adding their refrains and counterpoint melodies to the threads of the young darkkin's gathering song. The lone voice of the violin soon became a round, repeating and reflecting not once but three times over. Layer within layer, woven tight and true. The clear, sweet untouchable songs of Air and the heady, rich torrents and steady beat of Water's refrain merged seamlessly with Jonquil's violin. From a single instrument, a symphony lifted.

Still she played on just as Nero had centuries before while Rome burned around him. Her darkkin heart was beginning to stir. Facets of power, she never knew she possessed flared to life. Senses whirling, she rode the high as her symphony crescendoed. It was almost as if she were flying. The rush, the rise and then...the plummet. But she didn't fall, her songs caught her, tossing her heart high once more. Her amber lit eyes drifted shut as she surrendered for the first time. The elemental weaves, countless layers of threads woven tight, flashed before her eyes. The white gossamer shimmer of Air and far below the dense cloak of earthen green Water shivered and hummed with a cobalt light.

This was the plane from which her people drew their power, primal and wild, it thrummed with life, a living map of life and music. Jonquil was now layers deep in the weaves, drifting with her songs. There was more here, secrets hidden from the world. A truth that could not be tucked away. Words and thoughts emerged, echoes of the speakers. It was like falling through time.

"Everyone is here for a reason, whether it is to help this young witch, or maybe it's to find something in ourselves."

"But, I've never liked doing magic. It was the only thing that made me different and something I had to keep secret. I wanted to forget that I was a witch...You were...are...my friends."

"Normal? you would be weak, even more so than you are now?"

"More rarely, however, we feel the firm grasp of another's hand reaching for our own. Together, we share our burdens. Together, we relieve them.”

Violet signatures erupted onto the shifting fabric of the song weaves. Jonquil delved deeper, her fingers flying with preternatural speed upon the strings, her bow a graceful blur of song. Violet was the color of Spirit. These were spirit signatures...the group she had just left. Indulging her senses and the headiness of her discovery, the little darkkin strayed even further into the heart of the weave plane. More spirit pulses glowed in the distance, but there was still something more. A sweet, dark Intangible just beyond her reach. It glinted silver in the distance, teasing one moment and gone the next.

Elusive and tantalizing, she followed her heart as it gave chase to this lost facet. Her songs pulled tight, echoing and repeating their refrains. It was then she felt it. Cold, fathomless and empty. A heavy void bearing down, drawn by the power it sensed. Jonquil pulled her reeling senses back, her last notes dying on a shadowed chord. She returned to reality with a savage jolt, gasping for breath like swimmer submerged in icy water. Her knees buckled beneath her as she fought to still her spinning head.

Struggling to control a welling tide of panic, she forced herself to focus as she gathered her things and began to run. This was something they needed to know. Her small feet flew over the abused bookcases and stained carpets as she rushed to find the others. Rounding a final aisle of shelves, Jonquil skidded to a halt her chest heaving. "There is something out there!"

25. JessWrite

Roxy Xalider

"There is something out there!" Roxy spun around to see Jonquil with wide-eyes and her face lacking its rosy color. She was gasping for air, with her small hand placed on her heaving chest.

At the frantic sound of her voice, Roxy's heart skipped a beat. What more could possibly go wrong with this day? And this spell...Roxy gulped. Should she even dare ask?

Roxy swallowed the lump of fear threatening to stop her.

"What was it Jonquil? Or...um...where was it?"

Pheonix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.