Spelled-Out Numbers in Fictional Dialogue

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by gorweave, Mar 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Wrong! Bullshit hath been called and your statement made meritless.

Here's CMOS again, since you missed it
    Here's a general blog run by a proof reader.
    Here's another one

Generally, OP, if it would break the reader's flow to try and piece together what they have read, write it in numbers.

Bjørnar Munkerud likes this.
  2. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

Firstly that didn't have to include the part I quote if they really don't agree with it themselves. Secondly, even if they don't believe in it, many do. Thirdly I'm not that convinced they actually realise what these rules are for, even if they understand it's physically possible to not follow them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  3. Bjørnar Munkerud

Great points and links, Jack, and I'm really glad at least someone agrees with me on this. I may be mistaken, but I also believe editor often let the author have it their way when they decide their way is the best, after all it's kind of like a discussion between the author and the editor, with the book and the publisher's manual of style as resources the way it seems to be from what I've gathered. And of course there are bad editors and publishers, and sometimes they just don't work well with a specific author, so sending your book to twelve different or whatever publishers like JK Rowling did or move on to another when you don't get along, or even self-publishing or online publishing are viable possibilities in many cases.

4. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Senior Member

Fourthly, you're a troll, and I have put you on ignore.

5. Bjørnar Munkerud

Seriously? This is a (well, somewhat) constructive discussion that lets us give eachother ideas on how to decide how to write something, specifically numbers. I have not been spamming, accused anyone of being stupid, claimed my opinions should be blindly followed or anything of the sort. I will now report you, but hopefully this incident won't escalate further. I'm sad about it, but I will from now on refuse to partake in this specific discussion anymore because of the fear of this getting out of hand, but I will continue to be as active on the forums and continue my humble quest for my own and others' improvement in the world of writing. Oh, and fair travels. I don't want any contact with you before you realise we're all on an even playing field in this forum and that your ideas aren't a godsend. You don't get to close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears and convince yourself I don't exist just because you're convinced you're right.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Neither respectful nor constructive.