Spelling Confessions

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Stormburn, Apr 19, 2017.

1. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

I read that as 'boys'. There's no hope

2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I just read a story set in Boise and I was pronouncing it 'boys' all the way through. I don't think it affected my reading experience. :D

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I used to think that misled was the past participle of the verb to misle...

NiallRoach likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Anybody else have a chronic and incurable case of word switcheroo? For me it's:

could and good
    think and thing
    custom and costume

I don't screw those up every time but enough that I wonder if I might have a peanut in my brain somewhere. I just wrote "could think" instead of "good thing." More coffee please (though "it's a could think" has a nice Orwellian ring to it).

5. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

I write so rarely with my own hand & primarily use devices, I can't honestly tell what is my own failing in writing the wrong close word or the device's bloody autoword that continuously/continually (not sure if there is a cyclical pause or it's a nonstop endeavour) is undermining my attempts at communication

I realize I could figure out how to turn off the autoword function—but despite how wrong it is in English, I have yet to have an issue whatever in Japanese. And as I suck with picking out my own kanji off the top of my head, it's really satisfying for it to pop up on its own & me going "oh yeah, those were the characters."

6. Homer Potvin

Yeah, I can't find my kanji either. I think I left it in the car.

(what's kanji?)

7. NiallRoach

人僕犬山
    These guys. Please read nothing into my deciding on writing "Person, I, dog, mountain."

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

I can see all four of those from where I'm standing!

9. NoGoodNobu

今日は、めまして。渡邊信子です。定期的テレビています。
    よろしくね~

So extremely simply, Japanese has three types of characters

Kanji, which are complex Chinese characters (that carry meanings beyond just the word itself)
    Hiragana, simple Japanese writing
    and Katakana, for foreign loan words

In the above really poorly construed greeting,

Kanji is in bold
    Hiragana is as is
    Katakana is underlined (originally in italics but then I realized no one who doesn't already know what the characters look like would realize they were slantways)

The katakana is for "terebi" which is Japanese phonetic shortening of "television"

The kanji 信子 means the name Nobuko but also can be broken down to individual characters for "truth/fidelity" and "child (feminine)."

Also 今日は means roughly "hello" and is made up for the characters for "now" and "day."

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Homer Potvin likes this.
  10. Homer Potvin

Cool! What's it say?

11. NoGoodNobu

Hello, nice to meet you. I'm Nobuko Watanabe. I watch television regularly. It's nice to meet you/please be kind to me/please look out for me/please take care of me/customary Japanese greeting

Homer Potvin likes this.
  12. Homer Potvin

Nice. Where I come from we normally nod our heads slightly and say, "How you doin?" Yours is far more eloquent.

13. NiallRoach

Moral of the story: We thought we had it bad when it comes to spelling.

14. NoGoodNobu

At any rate, less misspellings of Japanese with autoword—although I tend to skip kanji if I'm handwriting it out—or I look it up to make sure I'm using the correct characters in case I do say something stupid & completely wrong

Yes, but you don't have a grandmother who will smack the back of your head if you use the casual ん (nn) instead of a clear & enunciated はい (hai) —the first is something like a casual or indifferent "yeah" while the second is a polite, definitive "yes."

Also, while it was structured like a formal introduction (like a greeting I would give in front of a class) I also was really lazy/casual about the forms.

Like I probably should have said the formal「よろしくお願いします」instead of the friendly yet not as respectful「よろしくね〜 」

I omitted subjects in a couple of those sentences like ". . . am Nobuko Watanabe" and ". . . regularly watch TV." You can do that in Japanese because it's assumed, but I could've had at least one sentence with myself shown as the subject, and have the other's left to infer I'm still talking about myself.

「私の名前は渡邊信子です」(My name is Nobuko Watanabe) instead of 「渡邊信子です」(. . . am Nobuko Watanabe).

Most of my Japanese tends to be very casual/conversational /informal/impolite. Also very poorly structured because my home uses a bastardization of Japanese, mostly speaking English with various words or phrases in Japanese.

Only ever write it when I want to leave something thoughtful in my grandmother's birthday/holiday cards because it makes her happy. And sometimes when people try to message me in Japanese—to which I usually type the equivalent of a sloppy "Hey, you're English is awesome. That said, my Japanese is not awesome. Actually I barely understand anything. So because my Japanese sucks, it's cool we chat in English, right?" in Japanese.

That said, there really are some concepts and words that only Japanese will do for. Like with "yoroshiku" that translates "nice to meet you" same as "hajimemashite" and yet has so many poignant cultural connotations.