1. The Blood Countess

The Blood Countess New Member

Spinning an idea into a series(multiple books)

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by The Blood Countess, May 30, 2012.

I've done this about three times, expanded an idea into multiple books. However, a few people have told me that it shouldn't be a series unless it presents itself as a series. In other words, you shouldn't have to expand it. If it's series material than it doesn't have to be lengthened into a series(because it is already a series).

Is that true? Am I doing this incorrectly?

Another issue: If expanding an idea is perfectly fine, how do you personally spin a small premise into a series? Do you just keep brainstorming and adding on to what you have?

I had a one-novel idea once and it ended up being three novels. It turned out perfectly fine. Nothing lagged or dragged on.

Add: My mistake, guys! I meant "trilogy", not "series". :p

2. MissRis

MissRis New Member

I think pretty much any story has the opportunity to be turned into a series. It's just whether or not as a writer you have enough creativity to stretch the material into more stories.

3. louis1

louis1 Member

as long as every individual book stand on its own, you're good. do what ever you want as long as what you write is good, that's what i think.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

depends. Every one of these novels must have a distinct goal and a resolution. They must stand on their own, like Louis said. Sometimes I hear people on here saying that they have an idea that is so extensive that they have to make three books of it. Then they describe the first book as the set up and getting to know the character/s, the second as the backstory or the development of the skills that are needed by the character in the third book. And the third is the actual story and I think that is the wrong way to go.

5. MJLowson

MJLowson New Member

Thoroughly agree. - I think you can have three separate novels with the same key or main character - look at Robert Langdon - three separate stories which only have the briefest of glimpses to the other storylines. - The Harry Potter series worked because you knew more was coming, first year, second year and so on.

I think if you only have one resolution and one real plot then a 900 page story is much better than three 300 page stories.

6. CrimsonReaper

CrimsonReaper Active Member

Are you talking trilogy or series?

A trilogy is ONE overall story spread across three parts. The books all tie into one another. Each book should be its own story, but the first two are building smaller subplots into the resolution to be found (hopefully) in the third and FINAL act. The Lord of the Rings was originally one big old doorstopper. The PUBLISHER split it into parts and said they would publish the latter two segments if the first sold well. But none of the books can stand completely alone. They need one another. It's also easier to have a single Ultimate Evil to which everything else traces. Defeat him, and the world is saved. Nothing is ever the same. Yay.

A series is just the same characters/setting being used over again. Each novel will be its own self-contained story and one novel will often have nothing to do with any of the others (though hopefully the character grows in each story so there is an order to read them in). Sherlocke Holmes has a series of detective stories about him. Few of the criminals ever had any connection to one another (Moriarty is only involved in TWO of the original stories and only appears in one). Conan had a series detailing his many adventures and NEVER ACTUALLY MET Thoth-amon (his supposed wizardly nemesis) in any of the original stories. Said wizard simply set events in motion in TWO stories. A series has to have fantastic characters to keep people coming back. Or a REALLY neat setting that inspires the reader. You can also get away with smaller-scale stories. Conan never saved the world, though he did vanquish his share of evil wizards and liberate a few kingdoms. One of them several times actually.

7. The Blood Countess

Well that's just outrageous! Each novel can stand alone. They have their own conflicts and resolutions. There are arcs left unfinished and to be concluded in later novels. Etc.
    Thank you for your answer. :)

8. The Blood Countess

My mistake! It's a trilogy. Well, my term misuse was an epic fail. Thank you for explaining that to me. XD

9. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Does your story need to be a series? Can it be viewed like a motion picture movie or a television series?

10. The Blood Countess

I wish. :)