1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

"standing" or "sitting"?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by BillyxRansom, Nov 13, 2019.

i think this belongs here, but if not, feel free to move, or delete it altogether if necessary.

so my question is kind of, maybe, odd?

if you're describing an inanimate object that is on, say, a nightstand or someplace like that, how do you determine which one of these ("standing" or "sitting") is the better choice? does it depend on the object? does it depend on the mood of the piece or the scene? is it entirely subjective?

Tralala likes this.
  2. booksofkae

booksofkae Member

I would use sitting more often than standing. I can't think of an object that I would use for 'standing'.

Tralala and BillyxRansom like this.
  3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

If the object is taller than it is wide, or has legs, I would say standing.

The_Joker, Saphry, Tralala and 3 others like this.
  4. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

this is a great thought, thank you.

Tralala likes this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Interesting question. I reckon it's subjective. I agree with @Naomasa298 that the object's dimensions could certainly dictate whether it stood or sat in a corner. I can't imagine a rocking chair standing by the window any more than I can a grandfather clock sitting in the hall, but for objects that are less obvious maybe it is dictated by importance. There's a line in a Stranglers song - Broken-down TV sits in the corner - which suggests (to me) a lack of importance attached to the object; if the broken-down TV stood in the corner it would suggest a greater dominance of the scene and great importance attached to the TV? Sitting in the corner it's just a thing; a thing that's broken-down. Standing in the corner it seems to be more a focus of family life (even though it is equally broken)?

6. Saphry

Saphry Member

Yeah, I think it's subjective and depends on the object itself. Though, if an object is on a surface other than the floor, I'd lean towards 'sitting'.

BillyxRansom likes this.