Starting a story when you have no idea how to end it...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Millamber, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Millamber

Millamber Senior Member

Absolutely, made me feel better about starting something with no full plot/ending, which lets face it, is where I'm at right now. I seem to have absolutely eff all most of the time. I can think of scenes/characters in my head that make me laugh, or make me want to write, but then i just struggle and talk myself out of it...

I think my issues atm are linked to issues mentally atm though... Maybe this belongs in the Not Happy Thread lol.

2. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I love the "Do not think, dream" quote. That was brilliant to read, the way he writes is terrifying and amazing both.

Millamber and deadrats like this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Krispee likes this.
  4. Krispee

Krispee Contributor Contributor

I imagine it quite freeing, getting rid of everything else but the words. No publishing or money or adulation. Just you and the words.

deadrats likes this.
  5. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

This is why I'm spreading my writing across different formats right now. I'm doing a weekly blog that's just gibberish, while trying to chip away at a novel manuscript.

The blog is not indexed (cannot be found on search engines) and maybe someday I'll give out the URL so people can read my old works. But at the moment, I'm just free writing and the lack of audience seems to reduce my stress level about consistently publishing, overall planning, &c. It's just writing about something random, inspired by some event in my day, and generally I don't know where the story is going when I start it.

In contrast, I'm plotting the heck out of my novel ms.