Tags:
  1. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

State of Flow

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Louanne Learning, Dec 22, 2022.

Happiness researcher Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, considered one of the co-founders of positive psychology, was the first to identify and research flow—a concept describing those moments when you’re completely absorbed in a challenging but doable task.

Through research, Csikszentmihalyi began to understand that people were their most creative, productive, and happy when they are in a state of flow.

The 8 Characteristics of Flow
    Csikszentmihalyi describes eight characteristics of flow:
    1. Complete concentration on the task;
    2. Clarity of goals and reward in mind and immediate feedback;
    3. Transformation of time (speeding up/slowing down);
    4. The experience is intrinsically rewarding;
    5. Effortlessness and ease;
    6. There is a balance between challenge and skills;
    7. Actions and awareness are merged, losing self-conscious rumination;
    8. There is a feeling of control over the task.

How often do you reach a state of flow while writing? How does it feel? What stands in the way of your achieving it?

petra4, Not the Territory and Madman like this.
  2. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

It's those moments when you are completely swallowed up in the creative process. You know where the story is going and the words are coming to you. Yes, time becomes distorted and you are inside your head.

3. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I was flowing yesterday. I think it was a combination of being in a fasted state (sick couldn’t eat), haven’t had any alcohol in a week (sick couldn’t drink), and a little don’t-give-a-fuck about my day job, so I was working for me on the job. I just felt a little wired, and the thoughts were literally coming faster than I could write them down.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  4. Louanne Learning

Sorry you were sick! But glad to hear about your flow. I am waiting on mine to reappear!

5. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

I’m just imagining what this sounds like out of context.

6. Louanne Learning

Lol

7. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

I was in a flow last night, finished a short story rather fast. It was great!
    I don't often enter such states, which may be due to medication and mental health.

Several years ago I was in a good flow and wrote around sixty thousand words in a week.

My brother has been in a flow the past year and two, he's written about one and a half million words....

montecarlo and Louanne Learning like this.
  8. Louanne Learning

Congratulations, flow is where it's at. Sorry to hear about your health concerns, that will make flow when it comes all the more sweeter.

Madman likes this.
  9. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Thanks, my health has made me see things from a new perspective, so I'm not all too bummed about it.
    And yeah, when the flow comes, it's very nice.

10. Louanne Learning

It's amazing the gifts that come with dealing with suffering. Suffering expands you as a person in unimagined ways. The survival instinct is strong and points us in the right direction.

Madman likes this.
  11. Louanne Learning

“One of the most frequently mentioned dimensions of the flow experience is that, while it lasts, one is able to forget all the unpleasant aspects of life.”

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Flow: The Psychology of Happiness

12. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure I've ever actually gotten into a flow state while writing. Maybe briefly, a few times here and there, but it's definitely not the norm. Usually, I have to push the words out, and my inner editor is nagging me the whole time. Writing is hard, slow work, though rewarding.

I do sometimes get into the flow while playing guitar or doing improv comedy, and lately I've been wondering if I can use that to change my writing habits to encourage the flow state. Maybe if I experienced writing more like performing, I'd flow better. I think the time constraint is a big difference. Doing a scene onstage or in practice, every second counts, so you can't hesitate looking for the perfect word: you have to put something out there. Now that I've been doing improv for a few months, I know how that feels, so I may be better able to cultivate that mindset as I start writing again. Performing engages the body as well as the mind, so it feels more immediate, but I don't know if there's a way to adapt that to writing.

13. Louanne Learning

Yes, writing is decidedly more cerebral, and I know I can get lost in there!

Wow, that's awesome that you are into music and improv. I can only imagine how good the flow feels when you're into those activities. Not sure how to involve the body in writing. Maybe taking regular physical breaks. I know pacing and walking really help me with the creative process. There's something about thinking on your feet.

AntPoems likes this.
  14. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Definitely. Music lends itself to it. If you ain't got rhythm....

AntPoems likes this.
  15. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I usually plop myself down in front of the keyboard (or occasionally an actual notebook) and just try to write, but I've heard a lot of people like to be more active. I read once that Charles Dickens used to pace around the room as he wrote and basically act out his scenes, speaking the dialogue out loud until he had it right and then running to his desk to write it down. I might give that sort of thing a try soon. If nothing else, it sounds like it could be fun!

16. Set2Stun

Set2Stun Rejection Collector Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Currently Reading::
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy
    The concept of "state of flow" when it comes to writing is what I've referred to in the past as being "in the zone." For me that means something like 5,000 words within a 4-7 hour writing session. When these sessions happen, they are something to behold.

While in the zone, a couple of those points mentioned are hit: complete concentration on the task, effortlessness and ease, losing self-conscious rumination, and a feeling of control over the task. I sure wish I could get in the zone on demand, but so far it seems to be dependent on a few conditions. One is that I need to not be working that day, of course. The next is that I need to already have a story laid out in my head, and ideally it's already been started. As long as I have an end to a part, or even a chapter in mind, I can keep on going at a very nice pace.

Love me some flow when I can get it !

AntPoems and Louanne Learning like this.
  17. petra4

petra4 Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
    Can relate to the 8 Characteristics of Flow . . . more so in no. 3