1. Michael Short

Michael Short New Member

Story idea question.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Michael Short, Sep 9, 2014.

Hi everyone, I am a fairly new writer and am new to this forum. I have been working on an idea for a story for a while now and I think it's coming together quite well so far. My only concern is that I am perhaps making it a bit too complex.

So far I have a main character who has a problem and a reason for the character to take action. Although now i've also come up with an idea for an additional problem which will complicate the character's reason to solve the first problem.

Am I complicating things too much? I hope it makes sense.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. Canopyvine

Canopyvine Member

I think you are being too general in your description for me to understand what your plot is, but I would say that two problems shouldn't make things too complicated. If the writer is good at what he does I have read books with lots of intertwined subplots that flow well and are very addictive.

Also it is hard to tell most of the time that something doesn't work before you try it. If you feel that the second problem is very important for the plot, just write it and then you will get a better grasp of whether it is good or not.

3. Michael Short

Michael Short New Member

Thanks Canopyvine, I will just make a start on it I guess and see what happens. :)

4. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

As you write, your characters will come to life and begin to solve their own problems. When I started writing my MS, I was sure that my MC was going to off himself in the end. When we got there, there was no way Herb would ever kill himself.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

No, complicate away. Complicated is what makes a good story, if it's well written.

And welcome to the forum.

6. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

You need to be more specific. Your description of the problem is too general for anyone to offer advise.

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I agree that your description is too vague to support an answer, but in general I'd say that a story with only one problem/conflict is likely to be too simple.

8. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

My characters make mistakes as they go through the story, adding little conflicts as they additionally have to work around them in addition to solving the 'big' problem. You just have to manage your way through the roadblocks.

Shayla likes this.
  9. Ohdontyaknow

Ohdontyaknow New Member

Conflict is good, conflict is drama! Without conflict the story will lose the readers interest. If it makes sense (believable), go with it. Don't force it, and remember to stick with the actual story.
    Best of luck with your story!

10. Shayla

Shayla New Member

A problem on a problem is good! What's even better is when the first problem is about to be solved and then the second problem ruins it! Have fun getting into a mess of problems. As long as you know what's going on, find a way to explain it to your readers!

11. Stephen Paden

Stephen Paden Member

Don't quote me on this, but I think the main tenets to plot go as follows:

1.) Create a character
    2.) Put him/her up in a tree
    3.) Throw rocks at him
    4.) Watch him/her find a way out of the tree

If you can create this basic framework in your head, then your character WILL start talking to you and letting you know who they are. If you create a rigid plot, you will likely create a one-dimensional character who gets crushed by a bulky plot.