1. Senko

Senko Member

Do you really think you could use money for this?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Senko, Aug 15, 2021.

Let´s say that you have working for years, and you managed to have your first novel finished. Even with some more or less decent editing.

You realize that, being an unknown author, getting your first work published could take months, or even years.

Eventually, when the time comes, you may know if your work can be appealing to some reputable publishers.
    But, you could have been waiting a couple of years. Just to know it.

Now comes the question:
    Could you have used money to speed that up?
    I don´t mean using money to get it published.
    I mean, using money to speed up the time waited just to know if your work really have potential. From the publishers perspective.

OK. I know you might be thinking: there are much better ways to use the money, in case you have some saved.

Anyway, could you think of some ways to use some money for that?

2. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

I'm not sure what you're actually asking, I think you might have to elaborate a bit more to provide context.

At the moment, I think you're asking if it's worth hiring a developmental editor? In which case, I'd say sure, if you're looking for professional feedback, that's a common approach.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

First, I don't know the full process for traditional publication, but being a more analytical thinker, I think you'd want to use that to answer your question.

Some of the time is spent in agents' queue (slush pile) but let's say you pay to get to the top (with no other flags or preferential treatment by the agent).

That will shave off some time, but it probably wouldn't do anything to the next round of the process and for the meetings where publishers discuss potentials and narrow down things for a given year.

It would be interesting to have a typical timeline for various types of publishers (big 4 or 5), small publishers, literary journals, online journals, even vanity publishers (where you are almost virtually guaranteed to be 'published').

Of course, self publishing can be done in a matter of days, but there is no mandatory editing, etc.

4. Senko

Senko Member

I would say something more like a professional feedback.
    You want to know if your work is good enough to be appealing to the big publishers. But you don´t want to wait for years, just to have the answer.

5. Bruce Johnson

Well, and again, I don't have any experience in it, but I think it's important to distinguish between works that are of professional quality and those that are appealing to publishers. If it appeals to a publisher, it's probably already professional quality, but a lot of professional quality works aren't appealing to large publishers. They only can print so many and have to reject a lot and this can be for various reasons beyond the quality of the writing.

So being appealing to big publishers isn't just enough about writing well.

To answer your question, which I've thought about too, one could try and query something they've written, which they've had beta read and that they've polished as best they can, and maybe base it on the ratio of rejections vs. full requests, etc.

Some on here have said they expect at least 50-90+ rejections for every piece that is accepted (that number may be through querying agents working within the same company though).

Also, there appears to be various tiers of rejections (form letter rejections, rejections with positive feedback, etc.)

So I'd say, if someone has tried for a year or so trying to convince 50-100+ agents or journals and have only gotten form rejections listing when they received it, it's probably time to give up.

At least that's one approach.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

No. Money won't get you anything but a deluxe package from a vanity pub. You can pay for editors all you want, but the publisher is just going to edit it again anyway. And if you don't have "it" from the beginning stages, no editor can create "it" out of something that ain't.

7. Bruce Johnson

And those numbers I posted, even if they are accurate, probably apply to short stories where there are a lot more places to get published.

It's my understanding that for novels, for certain genres the number of agents suitable for querying are much less, maybe only a few dozen or so.

8. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

I'm leaning toward suggesting engaging a developmental editor then. They can let you know if it's at a queryable level of quality. Especially for a first manuscript, I know many people who have invested money at this stage in the project.

One suggestion: publishing isn't just about a binary 'good/notgood' threshold. It's also about whether the manuscript fits the publisher's current lineup this year, and whether it has better sales prospects than other submissions they've received recently. With this in mind, I don't consider a publisher's opinion to be proof of quality so much as right product in the right place at the right time.

9. Senko

Senko Member

OK, I get that.
    I just wanted to know if there is a way to get the replies faster. Either, that your book is marketable, or that it isn´t. That, without having to be waiting for a year before getting a qualified opinion. From someone who really knows the business.

10. Senko

Senko Member

Interesting comments. Thank you for your reply.

11. Senko

Senko Member

OK I get that. Thank you for all your comments.

12. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

You can pay for editorial assessments and dedicated beta readers, either from freelancers on Reedsy or through agencies (who will probably want to sell you their deluxe editing package for the millions flaws they find in the otherwise AMAZING book).

I wouldn't hold my breath that it's a good investment, but if you have the disposable income it may make sense for you.

13. Senko

Senko Member

Interesting point of view. Thank you for your comments.

14. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

"Do you really think you could use money for this?"

This sounds like the response when an overzealous author asks the question to someone in the industry, only it would work better with a Did rather than a Do. :supergrin:

B.E. Nugent likes this.
  15. Senko

Senko Member

I guess you´re right.

Anyway, be aware that
    it wasn't about using money to make happen what shouldn't happen.
    Just to know the outcome sooner.

Xoic likes this.
  16. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Oh I was just joking man, not trying to say anything serious. Whenever I copy the title of a thread and make some smart remark it's always just a joke. So far anyway. :evilsmile:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  17. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

So I've been submitting a short story recently and found publications will allow you to make a donation in exchange for a expedited reply. I've seen it in the $10 range.

I even saw one that accepts $9/page for a detailed critique. Their payment for an accepted story? $10. haha.

You mentioned a novel however. I doubt there is anyone reputable who will do that for a novel.

18. Senko

Senko Member

Of course I knew it was a joke! And a good one.

The fact that money can do almost anything in this world.... is something.... Well. Can´t be described with a single word. But it is craziness.
    Fortunately, there are still things that can´t.
    (Am I being too naive?)

Xoic likes this.
  19. Senko

Senko Member

Yep. I guess things are very different for novels.