Tags:
  1. Andrejs Brivulis

Andrejs Brivulis New Member

Story title

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Andrejs Brivulis, Jan 21, 2019.

Hi!
    I recently decided to make a graphic novel.
    I have thought of the setting, some of the characters and general plot.
    I only haven't thought of a title. Most writers will tell that you shouldn't focus on the title too much and that if you can't think of it, there will come a point where it probably will come on its own. And I agree with that but, in this case, I'd like that I have the title before I start all the main work on the project. That way it seems organized for me and if someone asks what's it called or what am I working on I can say - "oh, I'm working on insert title here".
    So I'm asking for your title ideas. This is what the general story is about:

It's 2075. Five years have passed since the end of World War III. The world is mostly destroyed by nuclear bombs and people have relocated to bigger cities, the biggest and most overpopulated of which, San Francisco.
    To see the theme of how the city looks, you can search in Google "neo-noir cyberpunk"
    The story follows multiple characters that aren't directly related to each other but whose stories interlink with each other.
    The main problem that's shown in the story is Repressive Desublimation. It refers to the kind of soft authoritarianism preferred by wealthy, consumer culture societies that want to repress political dissent. In such societies, pop culture encourages people to desumblimate or express their desires, whether those are for sex, drugs or violent video games. At the same time, they're discouraged from questioning corporate and government authorities. As a result, people feel as if they live in a free society even though they may be under constant surveillance and forced to work at mind-numbing jobs. Basically, consumerism and so-called liberal values distract people from social repression.

I apologize if this post was lengthy and I'm grateful if you made it through. I'd be glad to hear your title ideas and feel free to ask more questions regarding the plot if you have any.
    Thank you!

2. -oz

-oz Active Member

"2075"

Gives it a 1984 vibe, which matches the description you've provided. At the very least it would be sufficient for a working title.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Andrejs Brivulis

Hm, thank you!
    I'll think about it. I do like the idea. It's simple, short and catchy enough.
    The only thing is that for the setting I took partial inspiration from Blade Runner. And the sequel does have the name "Blade Runner 2049" (a year in its title) which some would think of as stealing an idea, but then again - it's not very noticable.
    It'd probably be worse if I had some words before "2075" then it might seem like a direct influence.
    Thank you again!

Still happy to hear other suggestions from others.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    High Rad Noon (Rads are how radiation is measured on a gieger counter.) :p

2075: Life in the Aftermath

After the Nukes

IDK, the whole premise is kinda like how Sin City played out with all the character's
    stories interlinked in some way or another. Perhaps try to come up with some kinda
    Cyberpunk/Noir sounding title. There might be a random generator out there for that.

Good luck, and sounds cool. :superidea:

5. Thaddaeus English

Thaddaeus English Member

Depending on how you build the world I think Frisco could suit, if they don't remember city names that far ahead.
    World War III has decimated the landscape so much that things are renamed as such.
    Or something along the lines of Supersaturation due to the consumer nature of your story

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

This is probably not the sort of thing you had in mind, but from your description so far, an Andy Warhol reference would make SO much sense, and there are so many directions you could go with it, depending on the feel you want for the title and whether or not you could find a specific reason for one title or another. Just off the top of my head (and by that, I mean a Google search) there are a bunch of indie-comic sounding names that could work into a dystopia one way or another, like Soup Cans, Toy Fish, Candy Box, Yellow Candy Box, Work Boots, Diamond Dust Shoes, Factory Diaries, The Nude Restaurant. Some of those would make good episode or arc titles too. There are a few that have more of a sci-fi feel, like Oxidation, Endangered Species, Paraphernalia, Plastic Inevitable, or you could go really off the wall with a name like Five Deaths Eleven Times in Orange (also a killer episode/arc title.)

7. Andrejs Brivulis

Thank you so much!
    I'm really liking these ideas. They have the potential for titles.

Rzero likes this.