Storytelling v. Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Steerpike, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

:p

2. Irina Samarskaya

*thumbs up*

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Still kind of waiting for your definition of broken English.

BayView likes this.
  4. Irina Samarskaya

U wot m8? ih u don kno wot brkn egish iz, i don kno ih i cn hp u!

5. ChickenFreak

So you did completely contradict yourself on the broken English thing, yes?

6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

That is not the TRADITIONAL version of broken English... I guess you're displaying your creativity?

7. Irina Samarskaya

No thrctcly som1 cld b gut @ ths nd mk bnk as a gut strytller

8. Irina Samarskaya

Well, it's the first thing that came to mind. Easier than looking up Romance of the Three Kingdoms for 1992 and transcribing some subtitles onto here.

That's a lot of forms of broken English... maybe the Cockney version could make good comedy.

9. ChickenFreak

I’m going to take that as meaning, “Yes, I totally misspoke when I defended the use of broken English.”

BayView likes this.
  10. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

Absolutely, I agree 100%

LOL, :superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh:. This right here, as made you my new best friend. LOL.

Agreed, and absolutely true. I couldn't quote him directly if my life depended on it, but I damn sure know what he wrote.

:supercool: My hats off to you. Is this one book? or a series. I too have written thousands of works worth of work but it's multipul books, most of them based of my planet.

ETA: I also wanted to commend you on such dedication to the Art 0f Writing. and here I thought I wrote alot. LOL.

Same here friend, don't let others discourage you, though by the look of it, that doesn't seem to be a problem. :superlaugh: . I thoroughly enjoyed the read on this thread thanks to you, keep up the good work.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Irina Samarskaya likes this.
  11. Irina Samarskaya

I apologize but I have no idea how to quote properly. So you get to be red!

LOL, :superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh:. This right here, as made you my new best friend. LOL.

Well, it was the first thing that came to my mind lol.

Agreed, and absolutely true. I couldn't quote him directly if my life depended on it, but I damn sure know what he wrote.

"HAPPY DAGGER!" is what I remember Juliet saying (before killing herself) thanks to an anime lol. I remember his themes a lot but I'm not good with quotes unless it rings well with me. Plus I learned of him mostly through others' reviews of him since a couple big YouTubers analyzed Hamlet and King Lear. The latter of which was surprisingly relatable...

:supercool: My hats off to you good, sir. Is this one book? or a series. I too have written thousands of works worth of work but it's multipul books, most of them based of my planet.

One book, although the actual amount of words I wrote in the progress of making is probably well over a million since I gut half of it before sharing it with someone since I was embarrassed by what I wrote when I was 16. 700,000 is the number I remember reading when I checked a few months ago. It's only half-done, as I have another set of PoVs to write for as they are the ideological opposite of the first group. Plus, I will probably break it into 2-3 books since I underestimated exactly how long it takes, let alone how many words it took, to write what I wanted to write plot-wise. Now I know why most books are relatively simple lol...
    Same here friend, don't let others discourage you, though by the look of it, that doesn't seem to be a problem. :superlaugh: . I thoroughly enjoyed the read on this thread thanks to you, keep up the good work.

Thank you very much. I'm always a little self-conscious since it's my intended career after all, but I am confident because other's people's critical eyes are indicating to me I"m actually pretty good at it. Of course, I could be delusional and surrounded by liars but I doubt it. Chances are I'll appeal to a niche but that's hardly a bad thing: Dark Souls grew out of a niche after all...

EDIT: Could you tell me a bit more (perhaps a DM) about what you've written? I'm curious how I compare. O.O

John-Wayne likes this.
  12. John-Wayne

All you have to do is highlight the chosen text to quote and a icon will appear to quote the selected text. And then below the box to the left is a Insert Quotes option. It took me a while to figure out myself. :p

Gotcha, just keep working at it. It's common to get overly excited and then look back and see how bad the original is, I have a rough draft of a story I can barely read, I need to mock it to get through.

almost 1mil words. How long does it take you to get through. I would suggest refining it alot or splitting it into a series of books. But anyways, keep at it. Refining is what writing is all about.

ETA: I saw in another post your books take place over time, I do a similar thing as well with my current WIP taking about 11 years or so to complete.

Irina Samarskaya likes this.
  13. Irina Samarskaya

Will do... EDIT: Does the forum not like Macs or something? No prompt is appearing when I highlight you... I'll try it again when editing after posting. EDIT 2: What box to the left?

Gotcha, just keep working at it. It's common to get overly excited and then look back and seem how bad the original is, I have a rough draft of a story I can barely read, I need to mock it to get through.
    Well, I'm of the "Just fucking do it!" approach since perfection is the enemy of the good. I'm definitely much better, both in writing and in creativity, now than I was back then since I know more and am wiser.

almost 1mil words. How long does it take you to get through. I would suggest refining it alot or splitting it into a series of books. But anyways, keep at it. Refining is what writing is all about.

What do you mean "get you through"? How much time did I spend writing it all? 4 years. Considering Chekov is my middle name, I'm not exactly worried about fluff or bulk. Instead, as I said, I plan on breaking it into several books since several arcs come and go in this big one, so it might as well be broken up and those fragments can be given treatment to be made solid. Then I'll release them over time.

The biggest thing I've refined over the time was characters. Without a doubt the biggest difference between me at 16 and me now (as far as the book is concerned) is my familiarity with the in-book world, my knowledge of various things in the real world (politics, psychology, economics, religion, morals, etc.), and my development of the cast so that I know who they are, how they lived, how they died, and they legacies they will leave.

John-Wayne likes this.
  14. John-Wayne

One of the most important lessons in writing is seeing your progress, it's only an issue if you don't see any difference between new and old... and to continue improving on it. Also consider questions asked and be weary of critiques that try to change your style. That is something you develop on your own.

Gotcha.

Sounds about right.

15. Irina Samarskaya

Of course I'm wary of bad advice lol. I've seen a lot of contradictory information on how to be successful as a novelist, so either it worked for them or it didn't and they're just theorizing.

Having said that, I am also cautious about rejecting criticism since there is no growth in perfection.

John-Wayne likes this.
  16. John-Wayne

Also I noticed in a previous post, as someone who also has that natural talent for writing as well, don't let others discourage you because you don't think like them... Check my Sig, and I wrote a few blogs on the topic.

17. Irina Samarskaya

Thank you, however I am actually more inclined to listen to someone who thinks differently because... well, essentially, it makes me better at arguing (at least internally) for my position and should I fail to argue against it, I might have discovered something useful to incorporate into my plans and thoughts.

Are all those titles of blogs on here? They don't have a dot.com nor a link so I assume so. I'll check now...

John-Wayne likes this.
  18. John-Wayne

Holy crap, I love RotTK, I haven't read the book but I Have watched the Chinese show Three Kingdoms and of course the Strategy.

Well, yeah I guess this would be a point of contingent ... to some.

ETA:

I hope you don't mind me saying, but your Parents raised an awesome child. :) . Keep it up. It took me a lot later in life to achieve this.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  19. Irina Samarskaya

Same here! Never read the book, but I played many of the Romance games, as well as many other Koei games like Nobunaga's Ambition. I'd say video games have inspired me more than anything since that was all I had before the Internet. Then I could do my own research of history and stuff but that came later, early on (as a kid) it was Koei games.

Well, yeah I guess this would be a point of contingent... to some.

I don't know how much IQ has to do with writing but I'd assume at least a fair amount. So talent is a very big deal as I just don't think it's possible for some people to do some things, though maybe it's more matter of speed than horsepower.

However given my experience with writing (not creatively, just in general like essays and whatnot) I've definitely noticed a gap in talent since I always though essays were essentially "break times" since I'd always be done quickly (and get graded well too) while others would be visibly pained trying to figure out how to respond to an open-ended question.

Given how important talent/IQ is in other professions, I have no reason to doubt it's important in writing too. And I love to pursue my betters since... well, they're better! I love people who are better than me!

John-Wayne likes this.
  20. John-Wayne

Same here, didn't know about Nobunaga till later in life. I didn't get to play all the RotK games, but I did play II, IV (wall of fire, my fav) and XI (also my favorite), maybe I just didn't get it, but I was really disappointed with XIII,

Agreed,

Funny enough, when I was in a college Sci-Fi Fantasy Lit Class, one of our options for a mid term was a short story.... it was assigned on Tuesday, and by Thursday I had a 50 page rough for the Professor, and it was only 50 because I forced myself to stop. LOL. She was glad because it gave her time to edit it and I got an A, also in my English Class the only As I got were both short story assignments.

Agreed, and agreed. Just need to be careful between better and Faux better.

Talent in writing is when it comes effortlessly, like breathing. and at 700k words,, yay.

21. Irina Samarskaya

I think I got 7 and 10 together when I was around... 10? Some time after Dynasty Warriors 3, which I enjoyed as a kid quite a bit. Some time later I got into Nobunaga's Ambition starting with Rise to Power, and have been hooked ever since. I own all the Romance games after 7 plus 4 (bought it off PSN and enjoyed two playthroughs of it recently since it's fairly unique compared to recent entries) and I actually enjoyed 13 very much! It's like 10, but better.

Funny enough, when I was in a college Sci-Fi Fantasy Lit Class, one of our options for a mid term was a short story.... it was assigned on Tuesday, and by Thursday I had a 50 page rough for the Professor, and it was only 50 because I forced myself to stop. LOL. She was glad because it gave her time to edit it and I got an A, also in my English Class the only As I got were both short story assignments.

Nice! Interesting I always did well in History classes but mixed in English. I had bad teacher as a Sophmore so I was basically straight D's (afraid of her, she had a hair-trigger temper about punishing students she didn't like) and got back up to an A in Junior and Senior. Having said that, English was never particularly interesting since... well, until Senior Year (when it featured actual ideas and debating them versus reading some Boomer book about grapes and erectile dysfunction and commenting about the beta male orbiters and economically illiterate).

Agreed, and agreed. Just need to be careful between better and Faux better.
    Of course. That's why I'm cautious about advice, though when judging people I try to gauge where they are versus where I want to be. If they're closer to where I want to be in life (family, household, etc.) then I'm inclined to heed them more. If they happen to be tiers above me in intellect and wisdom (which can be hard thanks to the Dunning-Krueger Effect lol) then I have to cautious because I could be mistaking an idiot for a genius lol.

John-Wayne likes this.
  22. John-Wayne

Indeed, LOL. BTW, I updated the links in my sig if you wish to take a look at those blogs, however... I dont' feel you will need to. LOL. You have a better head at your age then I do now. LOL.

Funny enough, I also always did really well in History, but I was pretty good at English as well, guess I didn't have that bad teacher. In college however, I had a badass for an English Teacher, much respect for him.

Unfortunately I didn't discover Dynasty Warriors till much later, I was more into Fallout and Elder Scrolls, I suppose.

23. Irina Samarskaya

If so, that's good news since I can tell you've got a good life going from the glimpses I've seen of your car and driveway. ;)

Unfortunately I didn't discover Dynasty Warriors till much later, I was more into Fallout and Elder Scrolls, I suppose.
    Also games I'm a fan of! I wonder what third parties think of this major tangent from the OP though...

John-Wayne likes this.
  24. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I agree, but I still prefer to call them 'tricks of the trade.' Little tricks like this teach you how to make things happen the way you want them to.

Find out what happens when you do this.

Find out what happens when you do that instead.

Which trick will work best for your story?

Alan Aspie likes this.
  25. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I don’t agree regarding Shakespeare and themes. The themes he employed had been used by plenty of others, both contemporaneously and before his time. In some cases, the stories he told through his plays already existed and he just retold them in his own way.

Shakespeare is famous for how he told his stories—innovations in language, character, structure, and the like. He even disregarded/reinvented rules of grammar, from what I read a while back.

Some of his themes you can trace back to the Greeks. His most famous works, Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, were re-tellings of existing stories. It was how he approached telling those stories that set him apart.

BayView, John-Wayne and 123456789 like this.