Strange Little Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Leaka, Jan 28, 2008.

?

Do you agree with my parents decision?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

:(

Pooo!

I don't want to be just on Mondays. I want to be on when I can. And when I want.

2. lessa

lessa New Member

Then listen to your parents get good marks in school. go onto higher education and get a really good job and buy the best computer you can and see how much time you can put on the computer.
    You need a good education, more than you need the free time on the computer. The computer and the people and sites will still be here.

3. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Mammamaia's post is exactly dead on.

Point 1: You can't pick and choose if a .org will be better than a .com. There are valuable resources in ALL of these sites- I should know, I should know, I just finished doing a major speech for which I used the internet to research. And you can't say that all .coms are going to be good and non-time-wasting-- anyone who's EVER been on the internet for more than ten minutes should know that.

Point 2: Can't they just block SPECIFIC sites, or time how long you are on the computer? That's what my parents did with both my brother and I, and I've managed to have a thriving internet life (obviously) without my real life getting damaged (less obviously).

(And yes, MM, my parents said "no" to TVs in the rooms too...and honestly, I'm glad. Do I really need to wake up in the middle of the night and watch infomercials? I think not. ;))

To tell the truth, I find your parents' decision inefficient, ill-informed, and honestly annoying- but it's really, really, really not my place to tell them so.