1. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

Stranger than Fiction

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DriedPen, Nov 15, 2020.

I know a lot of real people, and over the years have kept track of their crazy mannerisms. Some are pretty memorable, but as often is the case, real life is often stranger than fiction. In many cases I cannot really use these real-life people because no one believe that they were real.

I thought I might start a thread about real people with crazy quirks that are too unbelievable to use as characters....

I have a great friend who is a 100% redneck. I mean REDNECK as he talks like he is on a CB Radio all the time saying "10-4", and "I'm picking up what your putting down." But...he listens to DISCO, and will scream at anyone who dares change the channel in his equipment or trucks. Nothing says tough guy like the Bee-Gee's being belted out as his excavator rips out stumps!

2. IasminDragon

IasminDragon Member

Crazy quirks that are too unbelievable for fiction?

How about self-awareness, an open mind and a desire to learn and develop? That rules out 99% of people I encounter.

Lifeline likes this.
  3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Was the song Mass of Root Sets ?

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think characters can be quirky. Your example could work in the right story. It's usually when someone writes something based on actual events that they usually run into the problem of truth is stranger than fiction. "It really happened just like this" might be a good story to tell your friends, but often in literature it's important to deviate from the truth for the sake of fiction and for the sake of a good story. Quirky people can easily become quirky characters who have good stories. It's all about how you manipulate the truth if you're looking to incorporate real-life material into your fiction.

5. LucyAshworth

LucyAshworth Active Member

My therapists have told me that I can never tell anyone about my past because they will think I'm a serial killer. I've slipped up several times and gotten into trouble. It has made me lonely, not being able to connect with people.

6. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    Where to start.

In the nineties I used to meet women on Sierra Club hikes. In Los Angeles they actually held hikes for singles, and these were often frequented by men who were somewhat lacking in social skills. On one, I saw a woman I was interested in, but was unable to talk to her as she was being mobbed by a couple of "wild and crazy guys." After the hike a lot of us agreed to meet for pizza, and I managed to sit where I could talk to her. It was hard because Yortuk and Georg were still trying to impress her. Her annoyance was getting obvious, so she excused herself and left. Before the Bozo brothers could follow her out, I said, "hey guys, wanna finish my pizza?" As they dove in, I made my escape and caught up with her and got her number. Jill and I dated for about six months.
    [​IMG]

7. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

Joe Exotic

- MC

8. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

i almost wanted to write a story about a couple i saw. i mentioned them on a different thread here when it happened. Man and woman walk into the library. the woman had a ukalele strapped to her back tire over slung over her shoulder. the guy had either a guitar case or a riffle case slung over his shoulder and a dog with a military vest on (not like a military dog or a service dog... like a camo vest with an american flag and patches on it).

met another person who no one really liked because he claimed to be blind or low vision. and would ask one of us to lead him around places. note, librarianship is primarily female. we have 1 male librarian on staff and 2 male "other" staffers, so at any given time, is female. he'd have one of us lead him around and then comment on our butts (to my coworker: "i know exactly what your man does to you with all that back there"). like, dude... you're not really blind, you know EXACTLY what you're doing. we caught on. Now, when he asks for assistance, I walk beside him or put my hand on his shoulder.
    he stopped asking me for assistance:superlaugh:

Had another older man walking around with a katana. we were so confused because we have a policy againsnt guns and knives... but this was a sword. so security had me keep an eye on him while she called for assistance about exactly what to do. come to find out.... it was a flute. a flute an ornate katana carrier.

cant make this stuff up, lol! But i dont think its stranger than fiction. i think its inspiration for fiction