Stumped over naming a race of zombies

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Leishua, May 31, 2018.

1. Leishua

Leishua Member

That won't work, chinese names don't have in most cases literal meanings. Naming your character that will confuse chinese readers, they would not be able to know thats a name. Chinese names usually mean something deeper. Many names have a history behind it. You might want to look up historic chinese names and legends to get an idea of who represents your character best. There are a ton of them. Of course these days in China, there is more of an interest in unique names but you need to know the language to craft it well. The name you are looking for seems to be very passive, its not common theme for masculine names. Most male names are associated with intellect, might and renown. Unless you are me and my dad gave me a girl's name.

So my name means "The beauty of the yellow river" You will have to look for references of passive masculine names imo. I don't know any which are popular and looked good upon. The ones i know are generally looked down upon and strongly discouraged as names.

2. irite

irite Member

The beauty of the yellow river is it's might and renown...

3. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Could this all be an unconscious reaso to put off your writing? Or merely a happy respite between writing?

The name you choose won’t change the story surely, so just leave it blank for now.

4. irite

irite Member

I don't know who that was aimed at but it equally applies to both me and @Leishua. In my case I have years of reading and writing on martial arts from a taoist perspective (not as in the structured religon of taoism, more just tao as in path or way) and physical/mental movement and capability. To me it feels incomplete and I need to structure it properly to connect everything and make it make sense, as much as I am writing it up as a story it is also 'real' and I'm wondering whether to just write it as my own tao.

Bruce Lee was writing his tao of Jeet Kune Do or in English the way of the intercepting fist (a contradiction of sorts). He had a severe injury and used writing as a form of therapy and had always been making/keeping notes. It's represented in the film Dragon The Bruce Lee Story with Jason Scott Lee. In the scene he is strapped to an inversion table and argueing with his wife out of frustation at his incapability. Someone of extreme capability in a state of total incapability, the duality in the singularity that creates the most (I don't know what word best describes it) thought. His wife turns him face down to the floor, throws down paper and pens, says, "you wanna teach? Then teach" and walks out... The more he recovered the more the writting stopped because he was re-learning physicaly and apllying his new knowledge from the awareness he gained. He had the intention to complete his work in his later years once his physical capability diminished and his learning was 'complete'... Life interupted his plan and his work is incomplete. Anyone claiming to be a master/teacher of the from/style of JKD is at least a little deluded.

I don't claim to be anything but I see (not all but some) gaps in his work, outdated references, parts that end too soon. There is more exposure of more styles that wasn't available to him. More sports more easily available and physical movement in all it's forms applies to movement in all it's forms. There's more sports science and science in general. Plus I've had his writing/learning available to me. I don't want to plagerise or claim my work completes his, so then it sort of has to be a story of what I've got aside from his work not a presentation of my own form.

Aside from that WIP I'm counsciously putting off my writting with this 'happy' respite. But I know I shouldn't becasue one day life will interupt me

badgerjelly likes this.
  5. Leishua

Leishua Member

I've been writing regardless of the name. Developing the companion of the main villain now. Beauty of the Yellow River is feminine its named after a concubines from Nanyue. I'm pretty active in working on it, whenever i'm not gambling.

6. irite

irite Member

It's strange how things work, Power Station and Industrialisation are female names in Russian

7. Kevin Teichman

Kevin Teichman Active Member

The Flood?

8. Leishua

Leishua Member

Haha oh hell naw!

9. badgerjelly

The Torn/Ripped/Shredded/Split/Burdened/Cracked/Frayed/Tangled/Shambles/Stulted/Ganglions/Hegemony/Shackled/Plosives/Ripe.

Another option would be to use something from the appropriate mythology. The ancient Greeks would likely have used “Hydra” so perhaps look for an equivalent term in the area where this thing first breaks out? Or make a story to fit into one which fits your purpose - perhaps the lead scientist named it based on his parents origin (that would give you further reach with mythological analogies.)

CoyoteKing and Leishua like this.
  10. Leishua

Leishua Member

Ganglions does sound really cool! Although most likely they will be called the Blight, Ganglions does sound like a great sub group i'll note that down!

CoyoteKing likes this.
  11. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

If you're looking for slang, and based slightly on the description (their heads are pushed out), you could go with a more comical name like "Deadheads". It's hard to know what tone you're going for in the story, so this name may not work. After all, if you want a somber, decaying post-apocalyptic landscape, Deadheads would probably be a bit of an immersion break every time a character said it.

12. badgerjelly

Oops! The plural is “ganglia” not “ganglions”.

Leishua and CoyoteKing like this.
  13. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

“Ganglions” sounds badass. I vote that. Even if it’s not the correct plural.

14. FlameFrights

FlameFrights New Member

Soules, basically just short for Soul-less. pronounce as you want, (souls, So-lues). Hope you do well

15. TRDavis

TRDavis New Member

I like what Irite said, leprosy based, group of eight

= Leprocates.

16. Leishua

Leishua Member

Not sure if i can use that, quite a sizeable number of my reach would be in India. I understand its quite a sensitive topic there.

Gotcha!