Suggestions on Authors to Read

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by JeffD, May 28, 2011.

1. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

It was the darkness for me. It was the first time I read a story based in a dark room. Until then, I did not even think it was possible. It almost heightened my senses inside of my imagination.

2. Mobhit

Mobhit New Member

I would Say John Saul, and if you want action I would hit some Vince Flynn and maybe Chriton

3. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

The only one I could think of is Ann Rice's The Vampire Chronicles, because it's pretty much one of the only things I read. Lol.

4. Glimpse

Glimpse Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Orwell.

Anything by Orwell is good in my books (pun intended), and not just 1984/Animal Farm too. Stuff like Coming up for Air, and his various essays are a good read. Everything except his two experimental novels really.

5. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

2 + 2 = 5 right? I liked his stuff but it was really out there and I think some people may not like it in the same way they do not like Sci-Fi. I on the other hand love this kind of stuff and love Orwell. I did love Animal Farm. The Pigs shall rule.

6. looneywriter

looneywriter New Member

I notice you mention you enjoy reading fantasy. I read a lot of YA fantasy, myself(since I'm trying to become a published YA novelist), but I read a bit of the stuff geared toward adult readers.

An author discovered late last year is Celine Keirnan. Her "Moorehawke Trilogy" is a great read. Has the classics of sword and sorcery fantasy (magic, warring kingdoms, etc.) but also some elements of shape-shifting and the paranormal.

I also loved Alison Goodman's two-book series 1) "Eon" and 2) "Eona." These are classified as YA, but they are extremely well-written, layered and complex. Set in a society that is similar to Feudalist Japan.

Happy reading! :)

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Hunter S. Thompson. I adore his writing!

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Seconded!

9. CiaDavis

CiaDavis New Member

Jacqueline Carey. Her books are amazing, as well as her writing. Epic fantasy doesn't begin to cover her scope of writing and storylines. The first books I would recommend is Kushiel's Dart, which is the first in (so far) a set of three trilogies.

10. benfromcanada

benfromcanada New Member

Neil Gaiman. His books American Gods and Anansi Boys are excellent modern fantasy.

I'll also recommend David Wong, who only has one book out called John Dies At The End which, oddly enough, doesn't spoil the ending. Hilarious horror-comedy. Apparently it is like the works of HP Lovecraft if his works were funny, but I haven't read any of Lovecraft's work.

11. Gigi_GNR

George Orwell and Aldous Huxley.

12. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

Best book I read recently was 'Q' by Luther Blisset. It is by an Italian and so has been translated to English (there are a few very rare occurrences when this makes a sentence not look right!) but overall this takes nothing away from the quality. And being based on historical events, it is one of the rare books I've read that remained exciting despite having to stick with what happened, due to the main character's own fictional story tied in with these events.

Well worth a read!

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

For Fantasy that is kind of grim, life is cheap, not in the mold of Tolkien:

Glen Cook - The Black Company Series.
    Steven Erikson - Malazan Books
    Joe Abercrombie - any of his. Best Served Cold is my favorite

Some works that have been around a bit longer:

Michael Moorcock - Elric books (and other eternal champion books)
    Fritz Leiber - Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories
    Mervyn Peake - Gormenghast

Tolkienesque Fantasy:

Guy Gavriel Kay - Fionavar Tapestry, Tigana, Song For Arbonne, etc. One of the best writers around in any genre.
    Dennis L. McKiernan's book Dragondoom

For good heroic fantasy, I recommend David Gemmell, particularly the Rigante and Drenai series.

The original Conan stories are fun, in my opinion. Conan is different (less heroic, more of a barbarian) in those stories than in later treatments.

For modern/urban fantasy - Jim Butcher's Dresden books are really good. Emma Bull has written some nice books, as have Robert Holdstock and Charles de Lint.

For YA Fantasy, people have already mentioned Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. I second that. Also, add in Kristin Cashore's books Graceling and Fire.

For kind of strange, humorous fantasy, James P. Blaylock's two early books, The Elfin Ship and The Disappearing Dwarf, are still a lot of fun.

I'd steer well clear of Terry Goodkind (Wizard's First Rule sucked, and I never made it to another of his). Same with Margaret Atwood. I've heard good things about Oryx and Crake, and I'll probably read it some day, but after the mess that was The Handmaid's Tale I am reluctant. Obviously, others above differ on these two authors.

Gaming fantasy - I'd stay away from most of this as well. R.A. Salvatore is mentioned a lot, and some of his early stuff isn't bad. There is some good gaming fantasy in the Warhammer line as well - the original Genevieve books, Gotrek and Felix, Nathan Long's Blackheart books.

14. Gigi_GNR

Tolkien and Rowling. I love getting lost in their worlds.

15. East

East New Member

If you are tired of genres and want a dose of modern literary fiction, I recommend Don DeLillo.

I recently read his novel 'Mao II', and enjoyed it, even though I tend to avoid American authors who write about New York City, LA, or San Fransisco. This was an exception.

[​IMG]

16. East

East New Member

17. Gigi_GNR

William Faulkner. He gas this lovely fluid way of writing that I like.