Superheroes in Literature?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by isaac223, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I didn't see it mentioned and someone mentioned not seeing super heroes in novelization form....before he became world famous for the Game of Thrones series, George R.R. Martin wrote a series of books where ordinary people woke up one day with superpowers, extra-ordinary abilities. Some became "good guys" and some became "bad guys." It depended on their personalities. The series was called: Wild Cards.

2. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Not really. Both Heracles and Ares are heroes in the Marvel universe. So calling the heroes in the Iliad superheroes isn't a stretch of the imagination. I'd say being invulnerable except in the heel is a superpower.

4. isaac223

isaac223 Senior Member

I'd also say that have superpowers and being of the superhero genre are also different. Superhero fiction kind of presumes a certain style, structure, aesthetic or at least some basic conventions that aren't being invoked in classical Epics.