Superheroes!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by yellowm&M, Jan 19, 2009.

1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

If you were to be an alien living on Earth, granted super human abilities by something here (a la superman) what woudl be your powers and their source?

I would have the ability to move sickness and disease from one entity to another. I gain my power from 'fake' medicines (like crystals, snake oil, and faith healing). I would wear all blue and call myself the "Blue Healer"

2. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

For me, definitely Iron Man.

3. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful New Member

Meh, I always go for the anti-hero. Goody-goody characters are too boring for me. I generally only read about them when they cross into the Catwoman or Deadpool comics.

Now, I do read some X-men. That might count for something - plus, the classic stuff like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Sandman, ect.

I still love the old X-men tv series and, to a lesser extent, the old Batman series - post Adam West and Scooby... okay, I love the old Adam West one too... and Batman Returns was my favorite Batman movie :mad: Best live-action Catwoman yet IMO.

My problem is that I want to better understand the arcs the comics I do read wind up in the middle of. Alas, I don't want to spend that much money on a series I'm not a fan of. Oh well, that's what wikipedia's there for, right? To explain what the heck happened on Week 2, Day 4 of the Skrull invasion. :confused:

4. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Iron Man is a personal favourite of mine because he is the ordinary man who uses his intelligence to become 'superhuman,' instead of being lucky (or unlucky) enough to have been in the right place at the right time.

I think if I could have my own superpower, it would be that sort of superior intelligence, or telepathy (hey, it'd sure come in handy! I'd finally have all of my questions about people answered, I'd have a better understanding of the world, and it would sure come in handy come exam time! :p ).

I always thought Wolverine from X-Men was a pretty cool character as well. I like how he is able to heal so quickly.

I'd rather create my own superheroes and villains than pick a favourite. Hell, I might do just that! :) I am a writer after all.

5. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I would fly. with wings on my ankles.

6. Mercurial

The winged foot is a symbol of the Greek god Mercury! :D He was the messenger to the gods and also the god of commerce and communications.

My name is Mercurial. Of course I know about the god Mercury. :love:

I had to share.

7. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Nah

we all know everyone secretly wants to be just like Deadpool.

8. apathykills

apathykills New Member

ah sorry, i have this thing where names get mixed up in my brain. It's batman begins I didn’t like. ^^'

Begins was way to batman oriented, my favorite batman movies always focused on the villains. batman returns was so great because it was so focused on the villains, think about the amount of screen time the penguin and catwomen had in comparison to batman. The dark knight also had a large focus on villains; the joker was just awesome in that movie.

it looks like there are quite a few deadheads in the forum :)

hm... Immortality will be the ultimate superpower for me, i don't want super strength, don't care about super speed, just make me live forever and i'm o.k.

9. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

Ha! So, the guy off Hercules that always delivers messages from Zeus? The bluish one?

[​IMG]

THis guy!

10. Penny Dreadful

Minus the cancer, yes, yes I'm sure we all do. :D

I agree, somewhat. I enjoyed Batman Begins, but it did focus far too much on a character we all know plenty about. I did enjoy The Dark Knight... and I realize that it's become almost taboo to say this now that Ledger is dead, but Crispin Glover would have made such a wonderful Joker.

Don't get me wrong, Ledger did an awesome job - his character just didn't remind me that much of classic Joker... I also had much love for Two Face. :D

11. Mercurial

OMFG! YES! :eek: :D You got it signed?! Jealous. :p

I have that movie still. I'm a bigtime Disney Classic kid. I cant recall though; he might have gone by Hermes in that video, but it's pretty much the same thing. Hermes was considered a deity, and Mercury was considered a god, but as far as I'm concerned, deity and god mean the same exact thing.

12. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Actually, deity and god does mean the same thing. Hermes was an ancient Greek god. Mercury was an ancient Roman god. But to those of you that know your history, the Roman gods basically were the Greek gods with a latin name. So basically, Mercury and Hermes are the same diety.

13. Mercurial

Well, that's upsetting. I should have known that Mercury was Roman and Hermes was Greek... :rolleyes:

14. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Couldn't agree more. As much as I know Dark Knight, I think Batman Returns will always be my favorite. One of the main reasons, for me, is Catwoman. I think she was done well. I'm admittedly a very big Catwoman fan, though, heh. She's probably my favorite female character in any comic. A part of me was hoping Nolan would introduce her in the upcoming Batman, but I'm hesitant. It depends on who's playing her, how she's written, etc.

15. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I would be most appreciative of the ability to open portals literally anywhere I want them. And only things that I want to pass through them would be able to pass through, meaning I could safely open a portal into deep space and enjoy the cosmic views. Sure, teleportation may be more convenient for use on Earth, but that's over instantly. With portals, you can fall a few thousand feet, and then slingshot your way across the sky... It would be fun. :D

Power source? Glazed donuts. Don't ask, just go with it.

16. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Chuck Norris ftw!

17. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

Does The Stig count as a superhero? I SAY HE DOES!
    [​IMG]
    Some say, that if God drove a car, he'd be half as good as the Stig, and that there is a running rivalry between the two to do the best powerslide, all we know is, he's called The Stig.

18. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Depending which Stig we are talking about ;)

19. Penny Dreadful

I've heard some pretty scary rumors about Nolan's Catwoman. She also happens to be my favorite female character in a comic, so I'm rather defensive about the part. I might have mentioned it before, but I collected Catwoman's first solo comic run as a kid like most youngun's collected pogs... though, I also collected pogs.

I still have a huge binder full of Catwoman comics and similar merchandise.

... this thread has gotten me in the mood to change my avatar to something comic'y... hmm.

20. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

Tell me about it.... I've heard Angelina Jolie as Catwoman (no, just no) and many other "hot" female celebrities. It pisses me off, because it would completely ruin the Catwoman character/persona. I don't exactly have any suggestions myself on who I would like to see play Catwoman, I just more so know who I wouldn't want to play Catwoman, lol.

I really wish I had some of my old comics (including some Catwoman) from when I was a kid, I lost most of my childhood stuff, though, INCLUDING, yes, my beloved pogs. HEH.

21. apathykills

apathykills New Member

em... Michelle Pfeiffer was hot too you know. and why would that destroy the catwomen character?

i do. Natalie Portman.

god i'd love to see her in a lather outfit...

22. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

What I meant was, many other typically hot female celebs who really do not have decent acting chops. I know there's some Jolie fans who will jump on me for this, but I just don't think she's that good of an actress. I feel like she's as popular as she is because of her looks (I mean, 90% of the movies she's in there's some sort of racy scene, even in the PROMOS for most of her movies it's shown as if it's some important plot point). I get you can say this for most Hollywood actresses, but I just don't want some super popular "hot" celeb getting the part. Yes, Michelle was very good-looking, but I just don't think she's in the same "hot" category as Jolie is put into these days. Same can be said for actresses like Alba and Biel, etc.

...and Natalie Portman? I love the girl, she's one of my favorite actresses, but I just can't see it. I think they should go for someone a little less mainstream, personally. There's nothing wrong with the selection being good-looking or sexy (I mean, it IS Catwoman here ;) ), but I just don't want some big mainstream "hot" actress to get it. I feel like it'll ruin the character more than likely. I'd rather Catwoman not be included at all then have her be ruined.

23. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I could not agree more. I had a friend who tried to tell me once that it was Superman's human side that was his weakness, but don't even try to sell me that stuff, because EVERY superhero has that as a weakness. Superman is so powerful that it's nauseating. I don't dig it.

Personally, I like the X-Men, Rogue especially. There's just something about her that I've always loved...

24. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

EXACTLY why Superman sucks. Sounds immature but true. He SUCKS. I can't stand him. I get into arguments about why he's a horrible superhero all of the time. He's so annoyingly together and powerful, it's boring. I know Bruce Banner gets a lot of crap for being "boring", but to me Superman is much more boring. Not to mention, the character Clark Kent is just so one note. The most saving grace of the whole Superman universe is Lex Luthor, and it depends on what version.

Really, if I had as many super powers as Superman, I would freaking go around saving everybody..... he's too invincible. Yes, he's not completely so, but again, he's just TOO much.

....besides, I like my dark and angsty characters. Hi, Batman. Hi, Wolverine. Hi, Catwoman. Hi, Rorschach. ETC.

25. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Well... I actually changed my mind on that. After reading Kingdom Come, Red Son and What's so funny about truth, justice and the american way? I get why people say Superman's weakness is that he cares about people. I'm about to read All Star Superman, too.

Plus, the Batman + Superman dynamic in The Dark Knight Returns rocked.

Still don't like the guy, though.