1. Sylvester

Sylvester New Member

Surrogate Children: How old is too old?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sylvester, Aug 8, 2009.

The premise is simple: That last kids anyone would expect are abducted to serve as surrogate children to a childless heiress nobody would ever suspect.

The fact that they are eight kid super heroes with incredible powers aside, the problem I'm having is their ages. Right now I have seven of them at twelve with an eight year old little brother completing the team.

Thinking about the first "Harry Potter" film, I got to wondering if the the kids may be a bit too young. Harry and the others were eleven and didn't exactly exhibit an aire of maturity and confidence I want my heroes to project.

At twelve, they aren't that much older. I just wonder if I should make them say thirteen or fourteen and if that would make them too old for the plot?

Any suggestions?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see how anyone can solve this dilemma for you... since you're the one writing the story, you can make the kids be anything you want/need them to be... and that includes their maturity levels...

3. daturaonfire

daturaonfire New Member

Well, consider in medieval times, when kids were marrying at the age of eleven. In America's Civil War, boys as young as eight were recruited to be drummer boys. In Japan, boys could be warriors at twelve. Age, until recent times, was no protection against adult realities, and hence, maturity. It's not hard at all to concieve of children being mature beyond their age. Kids grow up too fast all the time.

4. LivvieLove

LivvieLove New Member

"Well, consider in medieval times, when kids were marrying at the age of eleven. In America's Civil War, boys as young as eight were recruited to be drummer boys. In Japan, boys could be warriors at twelve. Age, until recent times, was no protection against adult realities, and hence, maturity. It's not hard at all to concieve of children being mature beyond their age. Kids grow up too fast all the time."

(by the way: sorry for the " " things, i have no idea how to use the quote box thing. whenever I press quote it takes me to a whole other page and I'm a bit worried it will make another topic for it)

I agree to that completely. :) I like the way you worded that too. Back in the--- what I dont know, uh 1500s (Shakespearian time... *of course* lol Litterature nerd ---> me) Girls had been married and had children by the age of what 14? Correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm guessing around the time period. You can make kids grow up fast. Have you seen the movie Swing vote? The girl knew how to drive... at what... the age of 10? She could drive her dad home when he was drunk and passed out. She HAD to grow up to take care of them, so that sort of situation can make your child characters mature much faster, and have a background too.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

to quote just a bit of a post, you do it just like you move words/lines in a ms...

highlight the part you want to quote and press ctrl+c
    then place your cursor in the reply box and press ctrl+v

et, voila!

6. LivvieLove

LivvieLove New Member

Ohhhh

7. Evelyanin

Evelyanin New Member

Try first writing the characters, and giving them ages afterwards. You might want to have a certain range so that you don't stray too far off topic. If your 12 year olds end up sounding more like 16 year olds, make them 16 year olds. A 16 year old who sounds like a 16 year old is more believable than a 12 year old who sounds like a 16 year old. Then again, your story is about superheroes. In the end, it will all come to what you decide you want in your story.